PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Jeff Reinebold Ripping Chad Morris

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Jeff Reinebold Ripping Chad Morris

Postby PonyTime » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:27 am

I would put JJs transfers up against CMs any day of week. Garrett Gilbert was best QB we have had in last 20 years (don't try to sell me on McCowen). That was JJ. McNeil was a strong get from U Miami. Too bad he had limited eligibility. While no one wants to give credit for Hunt- someone on JJs staff convinced him to play football.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:29 am

You do realize that he decimated the program and left it at all time lows, don’t you. As I said before, Ted Bundy was a nice child.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Nacho » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:32 am

June was fine until he took the ASU job.
Nacho

Postby mustangxc » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:34 am

I believe the all-time low was the death penalty.
mustangxc

Postby gostangs » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:38 am

Stallion wrote:But TCU paid Patterson the market rate for FBS Coaches-fending off P5 suitors for the last 2 decades including about 5-6 P5 schools when TCU was G5. Your argument only works if SMU matched Arkansas' 1.6 Million raise. SMU never offered Morris or his staff a substantial raise in the 3 years since he was hired.-they simply extended his contract. That's how employers lose Key Employees-treat them like [deleted]. I'm truly embarrassed for this school that these guys worked so hard for this university and were not recognized financially.

Glad you are an attorney and not a businessman.

He was already at the top of the G5. Your argument holds no water whatsoever. SMU should not be embarrassed one bit. Who else in our position is doing more than us to hire and pay top talent? TCU from a decade ago is a poor example since the math has all changed on coaches salaries since the time they were not P-5. The gap is now MUCH bigger.

You think if we had offered Chad 3.5 M a year ago he would not have still jumped this year? That money would have been a total waste - he was leaving for the first p-5 job that overlapped with his skill set -regardless of his salary at SMU. He has an ambition to be at the top of his profession - and that is what it requires - a p-5 platform.

Our job is to try to stay around the rim and not lose a fortune on our athletic program until the reshuffle - in the hopes we get a life line based on our market and the POTENTIAL we have within our market.
gostangs

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:00 pm

We do need to increase the salary limit up though. $2.2m that we started in 2008 is not the same value as it is today. We have to match with same percentage increases inflation that college sports has seen. Now I totally understand if it's not possible and this is the max, but then we need to face the reality that there's no way in hell to get to a P5 unless we start getting politicans in that forces Big 12 to add us via regulations, etc. Which I know they would just leave their base of operations from Texas to Oklahoma before that. We have to find a way to up the base and remain competitive. It's hopefully a wake up call that coordinators that we would want are already in the $1.0m range. $2.2m will not entice them to leave at least not easily.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:18 pm

Some of you all don't get it-SMU isn't trying to get to the P5 any more. Read between the lines of the Head Coaches salary over the last decade. When June Jones came to SMU he was paid about a Top 15-Top 18 salary (which was probably in the Top 12% or so in FBS) in the Country.

We' are paying the same salary a decade later and probably will pay the next guy substantially less because we are setting our self up for hiring a position coach 3 years out of high school. Its quite likely SMU will be paying about 50% less than they did a decade ago which would put SMU in the Bottom 40% of the FBS. That's not even the type of hire you'd expect from an AAC level program much less P5. The National experts rated the hiring of Chad Morris as an A. This hire is looking like a C or C- hire.

And yes Memphis, UCF, USF and UH all tendered high P5 level contracts to their Head Coaches who are being courted by P5 teams. SMU didn't bother trying to keep Chad Morris and merely extended Morris
'
Last edited by Stallion on Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby ericdickerson4life » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:23 pm

Well, I'm not sure I totally agree with that assessment. We paid Chad at the top of non-P5 schools. That means everyone else is paying below, glad my SMU degree came in handy there. So upping our salary to $3.5 doesn't necessarily mean we draw the top talented coaches to campus anymore than we already pay more. I get that the very top assistant coaches salaries are getting closer to what we paid Chad. But even though 2-1=1 that 1 is a 1 million dollar difference and a 100% raise, again thank you SMU. That is nothing to sneeze at and would not prevent us from landing a top quality candidate. Now maybe your boy Orlando doesn't want that extra million and would rather stay at UT. Good for him. I'm guessing he would be in the minority especially after seeing the job Chad just landed. Chad going to Arkansas is a good thing for us and a good marketing tool to land the next coach.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/
Last edited by ericdickerson4life on Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ericdickerson4life
Heisman

Postby mustangxc » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:23 pm

What are you so upset about? UH, UCF, USF all tried to up the ante and were spurned anyway. We don't have the money to write the insane checks that the top 10-15 P5 program are writing. At this point it is better to just grab a cheaper alternative from the Sunbelt (Neal Brown, Blake Anderson) CUSA (Jeff Wilson), or a retread that will take a pay cut in the hopes of being successful enough for a P5 to take a flier on him (Graham, Sumlin, Dykes). If FAU was able to lure Kiffin from Alabama there is no reason we cannot get someone just as good or better. Get over the doom and gloom.
mustangxc

Postby ericdickerson4life » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:27 pm

Kiffin makes $950,000 and took a pay cut from being Alabama's OC.

That's a steal.
ericdickerson4life
Heisman

Postby Mustangsabu » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:30 pm

Stallion wrote:But TCU paid Patterson the market rate for FBS Coaches-fending off P5 suitors for the last 2 decades including about 5-6 P5 schools when TCU was G5. Your argument only works if SMU matched Arkansas' 1.6 Million raise. SMU never offered Morris or his staff a substantial raise in the 3 years since he was hired.-they simply extended his contract. That's how employers lose Key Employees-treat them like [deleted]. I'm truly embarrassed for this school that these guys worked so hard for this university and were not recognized financially.

I can see that. Its the reality of the business right now. It seems like SMU has a very short sighted plan on these things. Step 1: Find people to pony up enough money to steal a coach from another team. Step 2: Hope when he leaves because you won't pay him any more money that the next guy will take the same money other people are paying for you.

But I think being paid 2 million or more to coach a game is ridiculous in the first place. It's a game.
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Dutch » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:37 pm

Stallion wrote:Some of you all don't get it-SMU isn't trying to get to the P5 any more. Read between the lines of the Head Coaches salary over the last decade. When June Jones came to SMU he was paid about a Top 15-Top 18 salary (which was probably in the Top 12% or so in FBS) in the Country.

We' are paying the same salary a decade later and probably will pay the next guy substantially less because we are setting our self up for hiring a position coach 3 years out of high school. Its quite likely SMU will be paying about 50% less than they did a decade ago which would put SMU in the Bottom 40% of the FBS. That's not even the type of hire you'd expect from an AAC level program much less P5. The National experts rated the hiring of Chad Morris as an A. This hire is looking like a C or C- hire.

And yes Memphis, UCF, USF and UH all tendered high P5 level contracts to their Head Coaches who are being courted by P5 teams. SMU didn't bother trying to keep Chad Morris and merely extended Morris
'

in 2008, the SEC distributed $10mm to each school. we got $1.7mm from CUSA. the Big12 was $7-9mm. compare that to today. they're all getting 3-4x that from their TV deals and we're getting what? that's right. $2mm. so we've kept our pay the same according to what we're bringing in. but everyone else has surpassed us b/c they HAVE MORE MONEY TO DISTRIBUTE.

let's just ignore facts though.

http://blog.al.com/bn/2008/02/show_me_t ... H5SMG59M65
Ok this is getting ridiculous...I agree with Dutch on THIS ONE POST by him totally
Dutch
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyboy » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:37 pm

FWIW, Reinebold is decidedly not a JJ guy. JJ's been responsible for getting Reinebold fired twice now. Guess it was a bad idea to show the world how to neutralize the RnS.
Last edited by ponyboy on Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ponyboy

Postby Top Twenty » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:38 pm

We can continue eating our own, but maybe we should wait a few days and see who we actually hire.
Top Twenty
Junior Varsity

Postby peruna81 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:40 pm

Stallion wrote:Guess which Coach was never fired by SMU

Late entry for post of the year....
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football