PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

IF Chad leaves...who's on the list for our next HC?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: IF Chad leaves...who's on the list for our next HC?

Postby gostangs » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:42 pm

well he is definitely available.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby smupony94 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:46 pm

ebrooks11 wrote:Ive heard Carlos Dangers name a few times from people that are in the know..

Do you really want Johnson Picks sent to recruits?
smupony94

Postby sbsmith » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:06 pm

SMUstangs22 wrote:
Make it unofficial? I don't know the ins and outs but I want to keep Malone while getting a great offensive mind

The sure way to do that is to promote him to HC.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:18 pm

Stallion wrote:I'd start potential candidates with
Lincoln Riley
Phillip Montgomery

Lincoln Riley seems pretty polished for 33 years old.
Makes $600K at OU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvTfhYBoLy4
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smupony94 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:19 pm

Isn't Lincoln waiting for Coach Bro to flame out at Tech?
smupony94

Postby lwjr » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:20 pm

mrydel wrote:I guess none of you have ever watched an Arkansas game.

I have. It was the referees fault they lost the game
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:22 pm

smupony94 wrote:Isn't Lincoln waiting for Coach Bro to flame out at Tech?

probably....but would Tech risk a repeat hire of a young guy with no head coach experience? i think SMU can take that risk....not sure Tech would...but they might.
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMUstangs22 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:23 pm

Isn't Chad waiting for Sumlin to flame out at A&M?

Curious to know who you would like to see next? I honestly have no idea.
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby smupony94 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:27 pm

SMUstangs22 wrote:

Isn't Chad waiting for Sumlin to flame out at A&M?

Curious to know who you would like to see next? I honestly have no idea.

Haha good point
smupony94

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:33 pm

Stallion wrote:I'd start potential candidates with
Lincoln Riley
Phillip Montgomery

Phillip Montgomery. Only makes $800K at Tulsa. Runs exciting Baylor type offense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyfOaf40kXQ
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMUstangs22 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:34 pm

My concern is hires with only offense in mind. Don't need a coach bro. Our defense has been doing so well. Offensive fire power plus Malone retention would be awesome
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyfan37 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:01 am

Possible candidates:

Lincoln Riley: Hell of an offensive coach who can also recruit. Would be a bit of a risk- very young with no HC experience.

Lane Kiffin: This would be a very long shot as I think he will have plenty of opportunities. Doesn't have the Texas connection but he is an offensive mastermind and a big name.

Ed Orgeron: I also think this would be a long shot. He is a hell of a recruiter and defensive coach. Struggled at Ole Miss but has done well in tough spots as an interim. Would definitely want to try and keep current offensive staff.

Philip Montgomery: Keeps similar offensive scheme. He's not nearly the recruiter that Morris is and he kind of creeps me out a bit, to be honest. SMU is a better job than Tulsa and we would out pay them, but would be jump ship this early for another job in the AAC West?

PJ Fleck: Bet he'll have better opportunities, but he is a damn good coach and recruiter. Main negative is that he does not have the Texas recruiting connections.

Jeff Scott: Took over Morris's position at Clemson. Would already know much of our current staff, so we would be more likely to keep some of them. Also offense would be the same. Good recruiter, but also doesn't have connections in the state.

Charlie Strong: I think he will get another shot to be head coach somewhere. Question is if it will be next season. What concerns me about Strong is that he couldn't dominate recruiting the state at UT. Signed the "Florida 5" in his first recruiting class and I believe they all washed out.

Jeremy Pruitt: Alabama DC. He will have an opportunity to become a HC at some point. Did a nice job at Georgia before taking over Smart's job as Bama DC. Getting a Saban guy could be interesting. Former high school coach, unfortunately not in Texas. Not sure if we would be interested in him, but I think he would listen if we called (if he wants to be a HC).

Tim Beck: Ohio State OC. This one intrigues me. Obviously has a great offense at Ohio State. Graduated from Mooney High School in Ohio which produced the Stoops and Pelini brothers. After several stops ended up as head coach at Carrollton. He would bring a great offensive system and have connections with Texas high school coaches. Would imagine that Houston would eye him as a potential candidate to replace Herman.

Mike Leach: Would he want to get back to Texas? You cannot deny that he is a hell of a coach. Has turned Washington State into a top 25 team. An issue could be that he could remind people of JJ. Both pretty weird dudes. Who knows if he would even answer our phone call.

Craig Bohl: I would consider him one of the best coaches in the country. Turned North Dakota State into an FCS powerhouse. Coached at Rice for a few years, but I'm not sure if he can recruit at a high level. He's also nearly 60, which could be an issue.

Les Miles: Name was in Baylor conversation for a while. But, if we are looking for a new coach than that clearly is not an issue. I think he'll want to take a power 5 job up north (maybe Purdue). But he would be worth calling. He recruited Texas well, but he would also bring in the Louisiana pipeline. Would want to try and keep Craddock and other offensive coaches if we hired him.

Sterlin Gilbert: As bad as Texas is, he really turned around their offense. And that is with a true freshman QB. Lacks experience. Definitely not a top option, but someone that could be considered.

Darrin Chiaverini: Colorado OC. Not a name that will be mentioned often. But he's got the Buffs offense rolling. Also coached at Texas Tech for a while, where he was Special Teams Coordinator and in charge of recruiting Houston and Dallas. They have 7 North Texas kids committed on the offensive side alone. That includes 3 from Desoto, and 1 from Allen and Cedar Hill.

Sonny Cumbie: Really quality OC. Obviously can recruit the area. I'm not as high on him as others, but he could bring a lot to the table.

Brent Venables: Done an awesome job as DC at Clemson. This could also help keep some of the guys on the staff. With Venables, the key would be keeping the offensive staff around him. Would imagine he would want to run the Clemson offense after seeing how much success they have had. Recruited Texas really well while he was at Oklahoma.

I'm sure I missed a few names, so feel free to add on. Of those I mentioned Tim Beck is one who really stands out to me. Chiaverini is also an under the radar guy to look out for. He wouldn't be the splash hire that some are looking for, but he has helped turned Colorado around after years of dormancy. He is also doing a great job recruiting Dallas. He has beat out the likes of Alabama, LSU, Michigan and Tennessee for those Dallas kids.
Pony up!
ponyfan37
Varsity

Postby Come and Take It » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:14 am

StallionsModelT wrote:Coach Bro might be available!

The Red Rodents can't afford to buy him out.

http://redraiders.com/filed-online/2016-11-19/talbot-kingsburys-contract-could-be-saving-his-job#.WDPSm_BOKaM
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." John Wayne

"Context clues and common sense can take you a long way in life." Anthony Cann
Come and Take It
All-American

Postby Come and Take It » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:18 am

ponyfan37 wrote:Possible candidates:

Mike Leach: Would he want to get back to Texas? You cannot deny that he is a hell of a coach. Has turned Washington State into a top 25 team. An issue could be that he could remind people of JJ. Both pretty weird dudes. Who knows if he would even answer our phone call.

An issue could be his locking Craig James kid in a closet.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." John Wayne

"Context clues and common sense can take you a long way in life." Anthony Cann
Come and Take It
All-American

Postby Lebanese4Life » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:39 am

don't understand all the speculation. haven't seen a single source that says HCCM is gone.

Why I think he's staying put:

1) The job is not finished. He always speaks about 'sticking to the process' and 'take it one day at a time' and his commitment to getting this thing turned around. We've improved, but we're not there yet.

2) Leaving the program would be devastating to his players, especially the ones he recruited last couple of years. He strikes me as a loyal guy and i'd hope he wouldn't want to ditch his players / staff.

3) Read on here that his son is a star QB at HPHS. Would suck to uproot his family, especially to frickin' Waco.

4) He's got a good thing going on here at SMU. We've seen glimpses of extraordinary play. We could make some real noise nationally in the next couple of years.

Just my 2 cents and trying to stay positive. If anyone has any reliable sources to share, please do. The constant speculating is driving me nuts!
Lebanese4Life
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Football