PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Ruminations on our IPF

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Ruminations on our IPF

Postby Committed » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:33 pm

I am new to Ponyfans but old to SMU. I love this University and dedicated my life to the students. SMU has chosen not to pursue the highest level of competition in Divisiion 1 athletics. It has chosen as it’s number one goal to be competitive for championships in the American Conference. Only time will tell if this direction was the most beneficial to the Universities future. The choice was made by those in position to make it. It is done. At this point in SMU’s history, Investing money into any IPF would be foolish if it did not benefit the entire student body. Football at SMU is no longer a program that returns intangibles to the University equal to this type of investment. Why not include a world class laboratory for Peter Weygand? He is world class and many students would benefit from being included in his research. Why not include a multipurpose facility for all students that football can reserve on rainy days? If you can’t find away to benefit all of the student body with this investment of land and money, then don’t do it. The impact an 80 yard facility will make for recruiting will not have a major impact with the kind of players needed to compete with TCU. Speed athletes are a limited resource. These types of athletes are the single most important resource needed for any football program to compete at the highest level. Not good speed. Great speed. This facility will not do the trick. JMHO.
Committed

Postby gostangs » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:15 pm

Committed wrote:I am new to Ponyfans but old to SMU. I love this University and dedicated my life to the students. SMU has chosen not to pursue the highest level of competition in Divisiion 1 athletics. It has chosen as it’s number one goal to be competitive for championships in the American Conference. Only time will tell if this direction was the most beneficial to the Universities future. The choice was made by those in position to make it. It is done. At this point in SMU’s history, Investing money into any IPF would be foolish if it did not benefit the entire student body. Football at SMU is no longer a program that returns intangibles to the University equal to this type of investment. Why not include a world class laboratory for Peter Weygand? He is world class and many students would benefit from being included in his research. Why not include a multipurpose facility for all students that football can reserve on rainy days? If you can’t find away to benefit all of the student body with this investment of land and money, then don’t do it. The impact an 80 yard facility will make for recruiting will not have a major impact with the kind of players needed to compete with TCU. Speed athletes are a limited resource. These types of athletes are the single most important resource needed for any football program to compete at the highest level. Not good speed. Great speed. This facility will not do the trick. JMHO.

Interesting you mention TCU, who has an 80 yard facility and no track. You people love wasting other people's money. Glad the people running our university are not so deranged.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mtrout » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:39 pm

gostangs wrote:[
Interesting you mention TCU, who has an 80 yard facility and no track. You people love wasting other people's money. Glad the people running our university are not so deranged.

The truth stings. It's ok.

TCU left us in the dust a decade ago. Houston is doing the same. The best we can seem to do is insult them on internet forums.

Great athletes do not want to hear "compete for AAC titles" or "make a bowl game". They want to compete against the best and aim for success on a national level.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby gostangs » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:42 pm

And the truth is their facility is functionally the exact same as what ours will be, although ours will be nicer

So [deleted] all you want but find a different topic since this one makes no sense to [deleted] about.
gostangs

Postby mustangxc » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:05 am

The truth is that the IPF will not hold us back from recruiting or winning at a high level. On the other hand our attendance will preclude us from regularly signing any four star players and competing for national championships. Invest more money on marketing and promotions as that will pay significantly more dividends than the size or amenities inside the IPF.
mustangxc

Postby No Quarter » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:29 am

I am new to Ponyfans but old to SMU. I love this University and dedicated my life to the students. SMU has chosen not to pursue the highest level of competition in Divisiion 1 athletics. It has chosen as its number one goal to be competitive for championships in the American Conference. Only time will tell if this direction was the most beneficial to the Universities future. The choice was made by those in position to make it. It is done. At this point in SMU’s history, Investing money into any IPF would be foolish if it did not benefit the entire student body. Football at SMU is no longer a program that returns intangibles to the University equal to this type of investment. Why not include a world class laboratory for Peter Weyand? He is world class and many students would benefit from being included in his research. Why not include a multipurpose facility for all students that football can reserve on rainy days? If you can’t find away to benefit all of the student body with this investment of land and money, then don’t do it. The impact an 80 yard facility will make for recruiting will not have a major impact with the kind of players needed to compete with TCU. Speed athletes are a limited resource. These types of athletes are the single most important resource needed for any football program to compete at the highest level. Not good speed. Great speed. This facility will not do the trick. JMHO.

Hope I FIFY.

Maybe there is a secret aspect to the plan - conversion to some other use or uses if someday SMU drops football.
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby tristatecoog » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:12 am

Running a $20M AD deficit suggests SMU is doing a lot to support athletics at the expense of scholarships and academic support.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby gostangs » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:05 am

Our deficit is more like 4m. That's bad enough without making it worse.
gostangs

Postby PonyKai » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:11 am

Committed wrote:I am new to Ponyfans but old to SMU. I love this University and dedicated my life to the students. SMU has chosen not to pursue the highest level of competition in Divisiion 1 athletics. It has chosen as it’s number one goal to be competitive for championships in the American Conference. Only time will tell if this direction was the most beneficial to the Universities future. The choice was made by those in position to make it. It is done. At this point in SMU’s history, Investing money into any IPF would be foolish if it did not benefit the entire student body. Football at SMU is no longer a program that returns intangibles to the University equal to this type of investment. Why not include a world class laboratory for Peter Weygand? He is world class and many students would benefit from being included in his research. Why not include a multipurpose facility for all students that football can reserve on rainy days? If you can’t find away to benefit all of the student body with this investment of land and money, then don’t do it. The impact an 80 yard facility will make for recruiting will not have a major impact with the kind of players needed to compete with TCU. Speed athletes are a limited resource. These types of athletes are the single most important resource needed for any football program to compete at the highest level. Not good speed. Great speed. This facility will not do the trick. JMHO.

Guys, we did it. The most ponyfans comment in the history of the site. Huzzahs are in order.
PonyKai

Postby tristatecoog » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:24 pm

"SMU expects to spend $34.8 million on athletics in 2016, according to a recent report from the All University Finance Committee. This spending, which amounts to 7.5 percent of the university’s $462 million operating budget, exceeds athletic revenue by $10.1 million. The $10.1 million deficit excludes athletic scholarships—“grants in aid”—of $19.7 million, which pushes SMU’s total athletic deficit to $29.8 million."

http://www.smudailycampus.com/news/smu- ... -of-sports

RGT will be at SMU until the next football realignment is underway. The next president could have a tough choice to make. 1) thank RGT for the investments and improved position or 2) be more like Tulane.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby smitty329 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:37 pm

At this time, we had the opportunity to compete within the American conference and that's were we are. It's not like we can just decide we are a P5 program that's it. We schedule non-conference opponents in the P5 to test our abilities and when we show success against them and compete for our conference championships, we may have the opportunity to compete at the highest level. How does the pool and golf facility benefit the entire student body? Isn't the Dedman Center for Lifetime Sports for the entire student body? Why do we need to tailor the IPF that way? Speed isn't the only factor to build top athletes - technique, strength, knowledge, others.
smitty329
All-American

Postby gostangs » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:19 pm

tristatecoog wrote:"SMU expects to spend $34.8 million on athletics in 2016, according to a recent report from the All University Finance Committee. This spending, which amounts to 7.5 percent of the university’s $462 million operating budget, exceeds athletic revenue by $10.1 million. The $10.1 million deficit excludes athletic scholarships—“grants in aid”—of $19.7 million, which pushes SMU’s total athletic deficit to $29.8 million."

http://www.smudailycampus.com/news/smu- ... -of-sports

RGT will be at SMU until the next football realignment is underway. The next president could have a tough choice to make. 1) thank RGT for the investments and improved position or 2) be more like Tulane.

Our spending is not at that level, and the scholarships are not a variable costs. Actual deficit is much smaller - but not saying it is not significant. SMU cannot afford to stop pursuing top level athletics, our applications and giving would drop considerably.
gostangs

Postby PonyPlayer4 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:46 pm

Well your opinion is wrong, and I invite you to go somewhere else for your SMU sports talk.
PonyPlayer4
Hall of Famer

Postby SMUer » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:23 am

First of all, I’ve always been of the opinion that we should have put a bubble over the IM fields 15 years ago to have something to point to, and only then try to gather up funding for something grander.

But since we are bemoaning not being able to afford Valhalla...

1) I don’t know why it is exclusively on SMU AD’s shoulders to “pony up” the cash for Peter Weygand‘s world class lab...world-class reseachers use donations or grants from benefactors to build their own world class laboratories all the time...is private, industrial or military money to add the the coffee?
2) We have the Michael Johnson’s Performance center and the American Heart Association both based on Dallas; no relationships to cultivate there with a “world-class” facility? Hell, why don’t we make a push to be an Olympic Training Center for track, athletes already come to Dallas for MJP, perhaps we offer residential housing and bring in world-class coaches on the USOC payroll to work with help our trainers.

If you are focused and aggressive, you can usually get things done. I just don’t think SMU wants a world-class facility enough to go beyond an initial ask to RGT’s donor friends. That’s what it really disappointing for all our resources and proximity to major companies and organizations, SMU still operates in a bubble.
SMUer

Postby gostangs » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:05 pm

SMUer wrote:First of all, I’ve always been of the opinion that we should have put a bubble over the IM fields 15 years ago to have something to point to, and only then try to gather up funding for something grander.

But since we are bemoaning not being able to afford Valhalla...

1) I don’t know why it is exclusively on SMU AD’s shoulders to “pony up” the cash for Peter Weygand‘s world class lab...world-class reseachers use donations or grants from benefactors to build their own world class laboratories all the time...is private, industrial or military money to add the the coffee?
2) We have the Michael Johnson’s Performance center and the American Heart Association both based on Dallas; no relationships to cultivate there with a “world-class” facility? Hell, why don’t we make a push to be an Olympic Training Center for track, athletes already come to Dallas for MJP, perhaps we offer residential housing and bring in world-class coaches on the USOC payroll to work with help our trainers.

If you are focused and aggressive, you can usually get things done. I just don’t think SMU wants a world-class facility enough to go beyond an initial ask to RGT’s donor friends. That’s what it really disappointing for all our resources and proximity to major companies and organizations, SMU still operates in a bubble.

Its called setting priorities. Nobody cares that much about track, and nobody cares about having the very best IPF ever - and rightfully so. Even if you care about track - you cant really say having that level of indoor track is worth it to a 6k student university who is trying to be great at things that matter. We can use that time and those connections and resources elsewhere. Thanks goodness you folks are not in charge.

Box checked. Next item on the list please.
gostangs

PreviousNext

Return to Football