PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Will A Weekend 'Off' Hurt?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Will A Weekend 'Off' Hurt?

Postby MrMustang1965 » Sat Sep 29, 2001 12:02 am

How do the rest of you feel about having a weekend 'off'? After the intensity and competitiveness of last week's game, I felt a momentum building around the team and the fans. Sometimes having a week 'off' deflates this momentum. I hope this doesn't happen with the Mustangs. What do the rest of you think?

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!"
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Will A Weekend 'Off' Hurt?

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Sep 29, 2001 9:52 am

I think this week off is the best thing that could have happened for us. Gives us time to get over the disappointment of another loss, gives us an extra week to prepare for Hawaii in what I feel is a MUST WIN game and of course, the extra week off helps with any nagging injuries so we can be closer to full strength.

I think the week off (that would otherwise have probably been another loss at UNC) helped this tem regroup from a horrible 1st 2 weeks, and it showed against NCSU. Now it's time to get past these "moral" victories and see if we can't put together a win streak in WAC play.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby H-E-B Mustang » Sat Sep 29, 2001 3:48 pm

I'm disappointed that I will have to go another week without "Lady Marmalade" blaring at us from the Ford Stadium P.A. system.

But, seriously, I agree that a week off after an emotional loss is to our advantage. Our players did a lot of things right last week and they are showing significant improvement. We also need time for injuries, like Viloria's sprained ankle, to heal.

What we are missing is confidence. When we had a fourth quarter lead against NCSU, we looked like we didn't know how to protect that lead. The effort that our guys showed was tremendous. An extra week should allow the coaches and players to think about it and get their heads on straight.
H-E-B Mustang
All-American

Postby PonyFan » Sat Sep 29, 2001 7:20 pm

Not worried about the weekend off at all (as long as the players stay out of trouble.) I went to practice twice this week, and the team looked as sharp and intense as they have all year. Coach Cavan also was more energetic and had them worked up into a frenzy for Hawaii. I think they can take this week, build on a strong showing against N.C. State, and come out and thump the Warriors next week. Can't wait.
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Return to Football