PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

My thoughts on the game...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

My thoughts on the game...

Postby JasonB » Sun Oct 07, 2001 10:49 pm

- stop complaining about the fact that we didn't run the ball at the end of the game. Page had played well at that point, and you figure with his mobility, he might be able to scramble for the touchdown on one of the plays

- We stopped running the ball in the second half because of the fumbles. I am not going to call an option play with the game on the line after my QB fumbled twice, and each runing back did once and almost lost the ball on several other occasions. We fumbled this game away, no doubt about it.

- Because we didnt run the ball and take time off the clock, our defense was exhausted in the third and fourth quarters. We had a nickel or dime D in the whole game, so we had smaller players in trying to stop their shotgun running attack. It just wore us down after a while.

- In the first half, our offense was VERY sharp. We had a good mix of run and pass. In the second, we passed the ball the whole time because we didn't want to fumble, and so page sruggled. But the first half was very impressive and gives hope for the future. Except for stupid mistakes, we would be up 24-3 at half. We didn't put the game away when we had the chance.

- Florida State won't win a game with 7 turnovers. We almost pulled it off.

- We have better players than hawaii, no question about it.

- The guys made plays today. 2 long INT returns, a long pass catch, a kickoff return.

- The game saturday was not about the coaching or anything like that. It was about the players and their struggles to hold on to the football. The only thing to question is whether or not Cavan should have stayed on the ground even though the fumbles were happening. But I saw the downhill spiral just like he did and he felt he had to throw to keep the ball.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: My thoughts on the game...

Postby SMURecruiting » Mon Oct 08, 2001 1:07 am

Yes it was about the coaching. We outplayed them in the first half, no doubt about it. But what did June Jones do? He made adjustments at half time and flat out out coached Cavan and the SMU staff in the second half. Examples: Hawaii ran the same running play more than 15 times and SMU never adjusted to it. The only reason we even went into Overtime is that amazing run by Jonas Rutledge. We just got out coached by a great coach in June Jones
SMURecruiting
Scout Team

Re: My thoughts on the game...

Postby PerunaPunch » Mon Oct 08, 2001 12:35 pm

Sorry Jason, but SMU Recruiting has it right.

Just because you fumble, doesn't mean you have to shut down half (and dare I say the more productive half) of your offense. That's a sure fire way to loose.

June Jones is a good, if not excellent, coach. We have more talent (that was obvious), but they made the adjustments.

You won't win very often if your coaching directive is 'not to loose'. There IS a difference, and it's a big one.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Return to Football