PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

All posturing aside...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

All posturing aside...

Postby RGV Pony » Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:58 pm

I understand we're young...and injured...and have a tough schedule, etc. etc. But is anyone aware of any situation in D1 football with such a dismal run of losses, abysmal peformance, and blowout after blowout wherein an athletic department stuck with the coach and things ultimately turned around?

p.s. I want(ed?) Coach Bennett to succeed.
RGV Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Hoop Fan » Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:22 pm

no two situations are alike. Especially SMU. I dont think its as much a miracle working coach that turns programs around, but a school and an admin that finally says enough is enough. Northwestern turned around the most chronically bad program imaginable. They had something like a 40 game losing streak back in the 80s. They were beyond dismal for a long time. Somehow they crawled their way out of that hole and have become a consistent competitor and winner for the past 10 years or so now with several different coaches. Its funny, Northwestern got competitive about the time Penn State came to the Big Ten. There was alot of speculation back then about the Big 10 kicking out NW if they didnt get competitive. They decided to compete. TCU's story is much the same. Right after the SWC ended, they saw the light and acted. It wasnt a coincidence.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Football