PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Jerad Romo

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Jerad Romo

Postby PonyTales » Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:01 am

Sounded like a great TD run! Led the team with 78 rushing yards, followed by Phillips' 52.

I'm no coach, and I wasn't at the game, so I won't pretend to know who should start next week, because I haven't seen what the guys have done in practice. But it sounded on the radio like Romo fared OK, considering the situation.

Beat the hell out of San José!
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Sun Sep 19, 2004 3:31 am

yeah other than a fumble and an interception in a quarters of play he did great. Those type of mistakes will beat you every damn day of the week.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Sep 19, 2004 8:34 am

I'm glad he got some snaps, but Phillips is the man and I'd like to think our offense will show more life against WAC competition. Looks like the O-line, except for Johnson, has held up pretty well, injury wise. Let's hope these guys can generate 30 pts against San Jose. You have to be worried about the defense at this point.
Charleston Pony

Postby PonySnob » Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:59 am

Hopefully our running backs can start to do something positive. Munlin appears to possibly have a case of fumblitis. He has definately not lived up to all of the hype as to how good he looked in practice all of last year. Massey has done absolutely nothing.
PonySnob

Postby ClassOf81 » Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:04 am

Give me a break. Massey's had what ... 2 carries per game?
You're right that Munlin needs to show more, though.
ClassOf81
Heisman

Postby KnuckleStang » Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:14 am

Let's not lose sight of the level of competition we've been facing here. My gut tells me Munlin will fare much better in WAC play, as will our entire offense.

Our defensive situation, however, will keep me up at night. Of the 10 defensive players pictured on the cover of our media guide, 5 are currently sitting on their butt. And that doesn't include Muse.
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Re:

Postby RedRiverPony » Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:51 am

KnuckleStang wrote: .... Of the 10 defensive players pictured on the cover of our media guide, 5 are currently sitting on their butt. And that doesn't include Muse.

Since I don't have a media guide, let me guess: Rico Harris, DD Lee, Darrin Johnson, Alvin Nnabuife and .... who am I forgetting?
RedRiverPony
All-American

Postby KnuckleStang » Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:10 pm

Carrington and Harper. I didn't include Johnson because he's offense. So, overall, that's 6 of 16 "marquee" players OUT. Boy howdy.
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby Ponymon » Sun Sep 19, 2004 2:33 pm

The running game starts with the offensive line. Given its inexperience, you can understand why the running backs are having problems. One other thing you have to look at is a roster for this team. There are virtually NO juniors and seniors on it. Even the sophmores are suspect. I want to win as much as the rest of you, but it is going to be difficult this year given the ABSOLUTE LACK of UPPERCLASS LEADERSHIP not to mention SENIOR LEADERSHIP! Cavan REALLY left the cupboard bare thanks to the Malin scandal and the interference of our wonderful faculty and administration at the time! The team should be supported no matter what happens this year. Our time will come as the lines get older and stronger!
Ponymon
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby giacfsp » Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:46 pm

Very good points, ponymon - with one exception. Maybe I'm splitting hairs here, but I don't think it's the leadership of the seniors (or upperclassmen) that we lack. More than anything, it's the raw numbers of older guys. You look at guys like Allan Adami, Melvin Williams, Rico Harris, Derron Brown, D.D. Lee, Foy Munlin and the rest of the seniors - these are guys who understand leadership and hard work, and as leaders, they still can set a great example for the young guys. Even if there's a guy behind them who's bigger or faster or stronger or for some other reason deserves to be playing, these guys can have a lasting effect on the future of the program by the example they set for their younger teammates. I like the character of our seniors - just wish we had more of them.
giacfsp
Heisman

Return to Football