PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Henderson Lindley

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Henderson Lindley

Postby Stallion » Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:44 pm

since we've burned their redshirt year-these guys need to play and play now. Both have qualities we desperately need. Henderson speed, quickness and elusiveness and Lindley size at corner. Surely there is a way to use Henderson on a team averaging 7 ppg. In case you haven't noticed most teams try to attack our corners because of our 5-8 CBs. Hopefully, Lindley could help put an end to that-someday. Class is now in session. Our interior run defense seems acceptable. At least Morency didn't get 250 on us like he has in his two prior starts.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby KnuckleStang » Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:55 pm

Agreed. But I thought I read that Lindley came out of the game with some injury, too. Or maybe it was "back spasms." Whatever it is, I hope it's not a chronic deal. We need that guy.
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby Otto » Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:51 pm

Did Henderson play yesterday? I thought he was redshirting.

The CBs are small, but when they stay within their technique (as they did for most of the game against Tech), they can compete, even with bigger WRs. They got away from it against TCU, and Reggie Harrell looked like Terrell Owens.

I'm more worried about who's going to play LB and the health of the safeties. Harper should be able to play Saturday, but who knows how long? And does anyone know if Nnabuife will be back?
Otto
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:56 pm

looks like Henderson, Hawkins and Lobo all saw action last night.

Player participation from smumustangs.com

http://www.smumustangs.com/news/news_stats.asp?id=4030
Charleston Pony

Postby Otto » Sun Sep 19, 2004 6:04 pm

Hawkins played against the Frogs. And I figured Lobo might play, because we're so thin on the OL. Boren got his first action last night, and according to a friend who was there last night, he looked good - lots of energy, strength and push. Hoping to see more of him.
Otto
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:06 pm

the radio announcers said Henderson was the back on Romo errant option pitch.
Stallion

Postby giacfsp » Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:14 pm

If we were going to play these young guys, I'd think we should unveil them for the first time against San Jose. I understand that you also want to see what they can do in a game situation. But can you imagine whipping out a 4.25 guy like Henderson against SJSU?
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby SWC2010 » Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:22 pm

Good point on Boren, Otto.

He also got to play in the TCU game. He held is own & for his age you have to like his physique. He's big (not fat) all over, and moves his feet pretty well...
SWC2010
Heisman

Re:

Postby WildHorse » Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:02 am

SWC2010 wrote:Good point on Boren, Otto.

He also got to play in the TCU game. He held is own & for his age you have to like his physique. He's big (not fat) all over, and moves his feet pretty well...

Is he ever. He has as much raw, natural strength and power as any young SMU player I've seen in ages. They're listing him at 285 now, which seems crazy to me - he looks like he's as solid/heavy as anyone on the team, even guys like Urbanus and Burley.

Now I'm the first to admit that I'm among those who's somewhat enamored with his size and power. He's amazingly strong. But what this shows me is that although he might be strong enough to bench press the scoreboard in the south end zone, there's more to playing OL than raw size. What it also tells me is that he's working hard and getting better every day. I'm not saying bench Martin Guidry, because I watched him against Tech and TCU and he's done a very good job. But I feel MUCH more comfortable knowing Boren's there, too. I just hope that with the depleted numbers on the OL after losing Eidson, Neal and Hargis, that Boren and/or Peveto could play multiple positions, if needed. It's a lot to ask for the starting five to stay healthy all the way through the season.

And regarding Henderson: if he didn't play too many snaps, is it possible that he might still redshirt, like Massey did last year? Or is that only possible when a guy gets injured, like Massey did last year against OSU?
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Postby mrydel » Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:48 am

If you play one play the redshirt is gone. Only exception is medical and only then if a very minimum of playing time has occurred.
mrydel

Postby JasonB » Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:26 pm

That is not true. There is some minimum percentage were if you only played x% of your team's first Y games, you are still eligible for redshirting.
JasonB

Re:

Postby Prof X » Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:47 pm

JasonB wrote:That is not true. There is some minimum percentage were if you only played x% of your team's first Y games, you are still eligible for redshirting.

No, it is true. The percentage of competition rule only applies to Hardship waivers. We had this same argument a year ago, and I'm not going to go through it all again. Here's a link to the NCAA bylaws.

http://www.ncaa.org/library/membership/ ... manual.pdf

Read article 14, section 2.

There is an appeals process for the hardship waiver, but we're past the 20% mark now and even getting a medical redshirt for anyone would be a longshot.
You are all sheep.
Prof X
Scout Team

Postby JasonB » Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:04 pm

That is surprising, I could have sworn it was different. My bad :).
JasonB

Postby EastStang » Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:21 pm

I vaguely remember Bennett saying something about deciding on redshirts before conference play begins. I don't know what that meant, but perhaps there is some weird rule that until you play a conference game you can redshirt. Until I heard that quote, I was more of the thinking in line with the NCAA rule.
EastStang

Postby mrydel » Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:02 pm

Other than hardship, 1 play and the redshirt is gone.
mrydel

Next

Return to Football