PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Nevada game at home?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Nevada game at home?

Postby D » Fri Aug 04, 2000 11:41 am

Hey webmasters,
Isn't the Nevada game at home. I believe it was changed to 11am and is a scheduled home game. I was just looking at your schedule and it said the game is in Nevada. Thanks in advance for clearing this up.
D
Varsity

Re: Nevada game at home?

Postby PonyPride » Fri Aug 04, 2000 1:13 pm

Nevada (Oct. 28) is a home game -- and its our homecoming.

But if the folks in Nevada want to watch it on TV or listen on the radio, they get hit with a 9 AM kickoff. Ouch.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ChrisFowler » Sat Aug 05, 2000 12:42 am

Is there any other reason, besides desperately wanting to get on TV, that SMU officials agreed to change their Homecoming game to an 11 a.m. kickoff?
ChrisFowler
Recruit

Postby ClassOf81 » Mon Aug 07, 2000 12:04 pm

No - there is no other reason. TV spells exposure. TV brings attention. (How else do you explain the knuckleheaded decision to trot out a wrestler at the Republican National Pep Rally?) Most importantly, TV means money. Not too much in this case, I assume, but money is money.

I'm sure the officials at SMU will offer some statement about not wanting the homecoming crowd to hit the kegs too hard before the game, but it's all about getting on TV.

Come to think of it, if the game starts at 11, does that mean the homecoming parade starts at 6AM or something? Yikes....
ClassOf81
Heisman

Postby blakep44 » Mon Aug 07, 2000 12:34 pm

I am glad the game is at 11:00. That just gives us that much more of the day to celebrate the victory!!!!! It is also much better for the players, so they're not getting stiff laying around all day at the hotel.

------------------
If at first you don't succeed, drink.

[This message has been edited by blakep44 (edited 08-07-2000).]
blakep44
Scout Team

Postby ChrisFowler » Mon Aug 07, 2000 12:48 pm

Someone's actually going to celebrate a victory over Nevada? Isn't that like accepting the nomination at a party convention?
ChrisFowler
Recruit

Postby blakep44 » Mon Aug 07, 2000 12:51 pm

I celebrate every victory by the mustangs, Fowler. I think you might need to check your spirit.
blakep44
Scout Team

Postby ChrisFowler » Mon Aug 07, 2000 8:39 pm

Color me as having higher standards than "celebrating" a victory over a Nevada program that last year went 3-8 in the Big West, and lost to such luminaries as Boise State (52-17) and Arkansas State (44-28).
ChrisFowler
Recruit

Postby blakep44 » Tue Aug 08, 2000 11:51 am

OK,
Those who want to celebrate can celebrate, and those dead beats that don't want to celebrate can sit around and find something else to complain about. Next time cry about something a little more important that an 11 am game.

[This message has been edited by blakep44 (edited 08-08-2000).]

[This message has been edited by PonyPride (edited 08-09-2000).]
blakep44
Scout Team

Postby ChrisFowler » Wed Aug 09, 2000 1:17 am

Blake, is your SMU spirit really higher than mine, or did it just hit bottom so hard that it bounced?

You missed my point - which is easy to understand, given your not-so-snappy repartee. SMU needs to get rid of opponents like Nevada and gain an invitation into a bigger and better conference. I understand it's easier said than done, and Copeland and Company approached Conference USA officials to no avail; and, bottom line, supporting your school is admirable.

But for victory celebrations to register on a national scale - which, I presume, is what you want - they need to come from wins over, say, BYU or Oklahoma, not Nevada.
ChrisFowler
Recruit

Postby blakep44 » Wed Aug 09, 2000 11:48 am

Of coarse, everyone wants victories over opponents like you mentioned. However, quit living in a dream world. This is SMU we are talking about. Teams like that are not going to be on our schedule until we prove we should be able to play with them. We do that by beating the teams they put in front of us, gaining fan support, and in turn gaining popularity.
We haven't had great winning seasons, and we definitely haven't had great fan support. Until then, I am going to celebrate every victory they have (small or big).
I played for SMU, and I remember fans not giving a crap that we beat Navy, or Hawaii, etc..., but those victories always meant a lot to us. In the end, all that matters is how many wins compared to losses a team has. You have to crawl before you can walk, and I will drink to the victory over lousy Nevada every time. Now, if a dumb "not so snappy" jock like me can understand that, then I would hate to be in your shoes.
blakep44
Scout Team

Postby SMUPonyFan » Wed Aug 09, 2000 12:47 pm

Blake is right. If we win all the games put before us, everyone has a right and a duty to celebrate. This is what will bring the bigger games.

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby blakep44 » Wed Aug 09, 2000 6:38 pm

Make sure and find me after the game SMUPonyFan. I will buy you a drink.
blakep44
Scout Team

Postby ChrisFowler » Fri Aug 11, 2000 10:34 pm

Blake,

You kind of lost it at the end (actually, my shoes aren't so bad; but if the not-so-snappy jock pair works for you, wear them), but point taken overall.

Touche.
ChrisFowler
Recruit

Postby blakep44 » Mon Aug 14, 2000 3:13 pm

Good. Glad that is settled.
blakep44
Scout Team

Return to Football