PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

0-11 Bennett NC record

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

0-11 Bennett NC record

Postby Sam I Am » Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:48 am

NC means Non-Conference, No Chance game. The disparity between SMU and BCS teams is painfully evident with the Bennett era losing record. Lots of the problem is coaching. Much of the problem is the player material SMU can attract as a weak member of the weak WAC. Yet if Rice can go 2-0, why can't we?
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby EastStang » Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:23 pm

And who have we played OOC. Navy, TCU, TT, Baylor (near win), and OSU. The loss to Baylor and Navy are the only two games we should have won and Navy has had winning seasons every year since then. Bennett has been learning on the job. Rice has stuck with their coach during some lean years and its beginning to pay off. We hire and fire coaches as often as the NY Giants, and it shows. We have a young team, we even had a walk-on on the field on Saturday when several injuries hurt of defensive backfield. He has recruited some serviceable players. Let's see how they do this year in WAC play.
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Ikus » Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:30 pm

For what it's worth, Navy blasted Tulsa - the same Tulsa team that went to a bowl game last year - 29-0 Saturday.
Ikus
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:44 pm

the "Bennett era" BCS record? What is that supposed to mean. We have won only about 8% of our games against BCS schools(informed guesstimate) even before Bennett. This ain't a Bennett thing-its a "this entire program has sucked" kinda thing. An SMU team hasn't beaten an even average BCS team probably since the return from the death penalty-and that includes Gregg, Rossley, Cavan and Bennett.
Stallion

SMU beat Arkansas 3 out of 4 years in the 90's

Postby Sam I Am » Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:35 pm

SMU had a thing for Arkansas even under Hatfield. SMU has done better with less. BUT my main point was that we don't have the talent of the the BCS schools.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby gostangs » Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:42 pm

Wow - no kidding! Thank you master of the obvious.
gostangs

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:34 pm

Thanks Stallion for your honest retort.

It really boggles my mind that so many of SMU’s most die-hard fans (i.e. posters on this board) are in such denial about the depths our program has sunken to.

Single out Bennett for his NC record??????? Baloney!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anybody want to venture a guess as to when the last time SMU defeated a NC opponent who ended the season with a winning record?

Guess and scroll below……….

That would be Boston College, whom we defeated 31-29 back in 1986.

Boston College ended the season 9-3, including a victory over Georgia in the Hall of Fame Bowl.
SoCal_Pony

Re:

Postby PlanoStang » Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:06 pm

EastStang wrote: Rice has stuck with their coach during some lean years and its beginning to pay off. We hire and fire coaches as often as the NY Giants, and it shows.

0 - 15 is Copeland Copeland's fault.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:30 am

Wow! 1986. Geez! If we could just get a coach who could motivate the kids better than we have in the last 160 games-then ......
Stallion

Re:

Postby Uncle Morty » Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:28 pm

[quote="Stallion"]Wow! 1986. Geez! If we could just get a coach who could motivate the kids better than we have in the last 160 games-then ......[/quote]

Yeah, wow. Geez. Its amazing. Amazing, but not accurate. Didnt the Arkansas team SMU beat in 1995 go on to win the SEC-West? I think they went 8-3 overall, then lost again in the SEC championship game.

Dont feel bad guys, you only missed it by nine years.

Personally, i think this whole thread is lame. Good teams are good regardless of wether they are in conference or out. There are 2 WAC teams left on our schedule that look as good or better than who we've played outside the conference, and there are 3-4 WAC teams that look like they'd finish in the cellar of the old SWC. Trying to compare them without factoring in relative strength is absurd.
Uncle Morty
Scout Team

Postby SoCal_Pony » Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:11 pm

My mistake. Arkansas had left the SWC for the SEC 3 years earlier.

Still, 1 victory over a nc opponent with a winning record in the past 18 years is nothing to be proud about.
SoCal_Pony

Return to Football