PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Adami to take some snaps at QB

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Adami to take some snaps at QB

Postby rich_alum » Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:14 am

Wouldn't be suprised if this was Bennett's next move. I like Coach Bennett, but please just stick with Phillips and let this young guy gain some confidence for the future. I still believe he is our best chance to win.
rich_alum
Junior Varsity

Postby hpfan » Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:11 am

I wish I could agree on Philips. When the other QB's are in there is an immediate spark and energy with the players that doesnt exist with Chris. The idea is to win now not be a perpetual training ground for a future QB maybe.
hpfan
Junior Varsity

RA, is it really you?

Postby Sam I Am » Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:14 am

I hope you are the real RA whom I used to enjoy so much on the other now deposed board. If you are Da Man, lay it on us, bro, we need the levity and insight you used to give us.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Re:

Postby DallasDiehard » Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:25 am

hpfan wrote:I wish I could agree on Philips. When the other QB's are in there is an immediate spark and energy with the players that doesnt exist with Chris. The idea is to win now not be a perpetual training ground for a future QB maybe.

Not sure I agree. Circumstances make every situation different. If a relief quarterback comes in from the bullpen with the Ponies down by a bunch, is he seeing different defensive alignments than Phillips? Probably. Is there a bit of an apparent boost when a defense has to adjust to the particular nuances of defending a new quarterback? Probably. Do most quarterbacks have a favorite receiver with whom they've clicked in practice (see the Eckert-to-Pellerin show in the TT game), therefore creating the impression of another comfort level? Probably.

All this means is that we have three good quarterbacks, which is something we've never had. All three have their strengths, and all three have their areas on which they need more work. Without seeing them at practice every day, it's hard to get a read on pure talent. One of them, however, needs to step forward and take over the job.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:28 am

the other QBs are just tossin it up for grabs and layin it on the ground. The best football player on the field for SMU Saturday Nite was Chris Phillips-in case you missed it he POG on the SMU Network. He acconted for approximately 150 out of SMU's 17o yards in the first half. I swear some of the people on this board's knowledge about FB is limited to blaming coaches and QBs when you don't win. We had an NFL QB once who went 1-8 in a season -. Stop blaming the QB for every problem on this team. Sat Nite was perhaps the worst punt return performance in the history of SMU football. Our CBs got beat in the air and on the run. We got beat at EVERY SINGLE position on the field with the exception perhaps of QB IN THE FIRST HALF with Phillips. Donavan Woods did not play at Phillips level yet OSU led 31-0 at half. I tell you what-I got a prediction for you-either Phillips starts or Bennett will w/o question be fired in coming years-because there ain't nobody to take his place.
Last edited by Stallion on Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re:

Postby rich_alum » Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:30 am

hpfan wrote:I wish I could agree on Philips. When the other QB's are in there is an immediate spark and energy with the players that doesnt exist with Chris. The idea is to win now not be a perpetual training ground for a future QB maybe.

Most of these kids are fresh. and soph. so no matter who is in there at QB, we won't be winning much this year. Phillips is only a soph. and probably will be the future of this team at QB. He needs to continue to get experience in this spread offense.

There is not enough talent around any of these QB's for any of them to produce.
rich_alum
Junior Varsity

Postby PK » Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:32 am

With three serviceable QB's, but no one of them head and shoulders above the other (at least so far), the coach is going to take a hit no matter which one he puts in there. Some one will find a reason to say the other guy should have started no matter which one actually does.

Hopefully this offense gels soon, but the real key is going to be the O-line, not the QB.
PK

Re:

Postby DallasDiehard » Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:38 am

PK wrote: .... Hopefully this offense gels soon, but the real key is going to be the O-line, not the QB.

Very true.
With a team this young, Coach Bennett is right to juggle combinations until he finds one that works.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:05 am

When your down by 40 points or more, no sense in leaving your starting QB in for mop up detail in a non-conference game. Get the other guys some game experience so if your starter goes down, you won't have someone who has taken no snaps in the game. From the stats I saw, Chris is the man and should start and stay in the game on Saturday in a conference match-up.
EastStang

Postby mrydel » Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:10 am

The impression I got from Bennett's statement in the post game was that Phillips had peformed at an acceptable level and neither of the other two had distanced themselves from the pack, so Phillips is the man. My interpretation is that the first 3 games gave all three QBS some playing time but now with the conference play begining it was Phillips for as long as he can go. May be wrong, but I doubt you see a quick change from here on out.
mrydel

Postby JasonB » Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:32 pm

OSU was the final preseason game. In the last preseason game, your starter plays the first half, and the 2nd and 3rd string each get a quarter.

Phillips is our best player, and is the starter hands down. The coaches all know that, the players know it too. There are no mind games here. Everyone gets experience in the preseason.

SJSU will be a different game, against a totally different level of competition. Our starters will be in there and will play the majority of the game for the first time.

SMU will blow out SJSU this weekend. Period.
JasonB

Re:

Postby The PonyGrad » Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:57 pm

JasonB wrote:SJSU will be a different game, against a totally different level of competition. Our starters will be in there and will play the majority of the game for the first time.

SMU will blow out SJSU this weekend. Period.

You think we will blow-out SJSU based on what? They should be a fresh team with a good chance to get their offensive timing down last week against I-AA Morgan St.

We on the other had have been battered for three straight weeks.

Here is hoping we win by one.

On the QB subject, Phillips improved his % complete, that was important, and he was able to run the ball, unlike the prior week. The offense had decent numbers except for points and this is the only issue with Phillips. He and the staff are going to have to figure out how to get big plays with Phillips in there.

And stop those turnovers.
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad

Re: RA, is it really you?

Postby rich_alum » Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:33 pm

Sam I Am wrote:I hope you are the real RA whom I used to enjoy so much on the other now deposed board. If you are Da Man, lay it on us, bro, we need the levity and insight you used to give us.

Yes its me....While I would rather talk about more important things than football (i.e. money, my sexual escapades, Phi Delta Theta, etc...) I have made a huge effort to stick to football due to the seriousness of this board.

More interesting than SMU Football right now....that is for sure.
rich_alum
Junior Varsity

Postby JasonB » Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:09 pm

I believe that SMU will beat SJSU by a large margin this weekend. Our O line has struggled, but that was against a totally different level of competition, and once we were behind, defenses just tee off and it is hard to judge. The D line held its own. We are suspect at linebacker, and that kills you against the run. I believe that against much less competition than we have faced, we will firmly control both sides of the line. That goes a long way towards winning a football game.

Also, we will be playing a smaller team, and our speed will really be able to come out be more evident.

We are young offensively, and will still turn the ball over, which will keep the score down. But I think SMU wins this football game, 30-14
JasonB

Postby Eddie P » Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:09 pm

How is rush going this year for the PDT's? Where's Paul Hugg...is he still alive?
Eddie P
Heisman

Next

Return to Football