PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

NEW STARTERS!

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

NEW STARTERS!

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:21 pm

J. CLEVELAND AND C. FOSTER WILL BE THE NEW INSIDE STARTING RECEIVERS.
ALEX LIFESON
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMUFan » Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:42 pm

Who's starting on the outside?
And where did you hear this?
SMUFan
All-American

Postby Casey » Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:26 am

I read the on-line DMN this morning, and it didn't mention Cleveland and Foster, but it did say that Coach Bennett has opened up the quarterback competition, and that Foy Munlin is "in danger of losing his starting job." Would Eckert automatically start if Phillips doesn't, or would Romo have a legitimate shot? And if Munlin didn't start, who would take over there? Dorsey? Massey? One of the freshmen?
Once a Mustang, ALWAYS a Mustang!
Casey
All-American

Postby Governor Lepetomane » Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:44 am

From DMN on-line:

"Junior Chris Foster (Plano East) and sophomore Reynaldo Pellerin will start at wide receiver Saturday against San Jose State. ... RB Foy Munlin is on the verge of losing his starting job. Coach Phil Bennett said the team needs improvement at that position. ... Starting CB Charles Akinyemi (bruised ribs) and SS Jamey Harper (hamstring) are questionable for Saturday's game. FS Alvin Nnabuife (hamstring), LT Darrin Johnson (ankle) and MLB Rico Harris (hamstring) will play. ... WR Wesley Medlock (separated shoulder) is out three to four weeks."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... f7207.html
Governor Lepetomane
Recruit

Postby Sasser Rules » Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:49 am

I always liked the idea of getting Pellerin and Chase out there together to see what they could do with their size and speed. There aren't a lot of teams with a pair of CBs anywhere near as big as they are, and they both run pretty well, right?

I keep hearing this Foster kid can play, but I couldn't pick him out of a lineup. (Then again, I've only seen two games, so he hasn't had a lot of exposure...)

Glad to hear Darrin Johnson, Rico Harris and Nnabuife are going to play. Hopefully they can stay healthy this time - we need them in conference play.
Sasser Rules
Varsity

Postby Hoop Fan » Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:11 am

it just doesnt add up to me how a guy like Foy can dominate intersquad, but his losing his starting job. Maybe, just maybe, theres been no place to run.
Hoop Fan

Re:

Postby Mike Damone » Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:22 am

Hoop Fan wrote:it just doesnt add up to me how a guy like Foy can dominate intersquad, but his losing his starting job. Maybe, just maybe, theres been no place to run.

HF- this happens every year. Like Fitzgerald being the second coming of Dickerson after last spring. I think the performance of our players in a practice setting, AGAINST OTHER SMU PLAYERS, can only be taken with a grain of salt.
The attitude dictates that you don't care whether she comes, stays, lays, or prays. I mean whatever happens, your toes are still tappin'. Now when you got that, then you have the attitude.

-Me
Mike Damone
All-American

Postby Stallion » Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:48 am

or maybe decisions on starting jobs shouldn't be based on big losses to teams with clearly superior talent unless the backup has shown to be clearly the better player. I really haven't seen a backup make that statement with the possible exception of Kennedy who has stated his case. I just get a little concerned with switching Player A who has been dominated by Bowl Teams with Player B who hasn't proven a thing yet. Make sure we put our best team on the fild Saturday because it is our best chance for a victory.
Stallion

Postby Sasser Rules » Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:54 am

Don't give up on Foy (or the other RBs, the QBs, etc.) just yet. How well did KK run last year against Tech and the Frogs? He still finished up OK. The offensive line is still gelling, and we're going to be facing some defenses that aren't the same as TCU's and OSU's. I'm not saying Munlin's going to run wild, because there are some good defenses left on our schedule. Just saying we shouldn't assume the worst just yet, until we start lining up against some teams of similar talent/experience.
Sasser Rules
Varsity

Postby PerunaPunch » Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:11 am

My guess... Fumbles. You can be the greatest RB in the world, but if you keep coughing up the ball... well, one fumble can offset a whole series of good plays.

So far, Dorsey seems to be the most effective RB IMHO. On limited carries, he's been very effective.
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby gostangs » Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:19 am

Bennett more then anyone knows who we have played against and the importance of Saturday - I think the above post is right - fumbles are the issue - Foy puts one more on the dirt and he is out I would guess. Unlike LB it seems we have a few to choose form in the RB area.

Also - I think our line is better then last year - even with the games we have seen so far- we will see saturday I guess when we don;t have quite the same match up.
gostangs

Postby Silk » Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:28 am

I agree with Stallion that the best players need to play. Coach Burns came out of the spring thinking Munlin was the clear-cut leader, so I'd be anxious to see him play in a game where we're not throwing every play because of a big deficit. I would think that with the moderate passing success we've had, SJSU won't stack 9 in the box to shut down the run. Of course, this is all moot if he doesn't hang on to the ball - that has to be priority number 1 for Foy.

And in response to Peruna Punch, I'd also like to see Dorsey and even Massey get a few more carries. But hopefully Munlin will get a chance to show this week why he's supposed to be the man.
Silk
Varsity

Confused Bennett

Postby rich_alum » Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:34 pm

Sounds like Bennett doesn't know what he is doing right now. He needs to put some confidence behind guys like Munlin and Phillips. Those guys don't need to be looking over their shoulder 3 months in to the season. Especially when the 3 games we had no chance of winning anyways. Put your best players in the game and give them a chance to perform.

If this is strategy.....why doesn't he put new O-Linemen in? Maybe new D-Line? New LB's??? because they haven't done anything either.

I have been one of Bennett's biggest fans, but he needs to stick with guys and let them know its their job.......at least for 3 or 4 conference games.
rich_alum
Junior Varsity

Postby Pony Up » Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:43 pm

Yeah, they need to be shown confidence, but at the same time, he's right to be doing everything possible to find the players who will have the best chance to be successful. I say give Phillips and Munlin first crack at things Saturday, but if they're not moving the ball, or if they turn it over, we need to go to someone more effective.
Pony Up
All-American

Postby SMUguy » Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:41 pm

Glad to see Cleveland back in the starting lineup. There were times last when he looked like the most polished receiver on the team, in terms of his route running and his hands. Here's hoping for a breakout game against SJSU.

Go Ponies! Beat San Jose State!
SMUguy
Heisman

Return to Football