PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Tulsa

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Tulsa

Postby Casey » Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:34 am

Bowl team last year, 0-3 this year -- what gives?

Have they had a lot of injuries or something? I know they lost to a good OSU team, and Navy shut them out (how did THAT happen) .... who else got 'em? Are they falling way off this year, or have they gotten caught in a particularly tough schedule in the early going?
Once a Mustang, ALWAYS a Mustang!
Casey
All-American

Postby buspen » Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:24 am

Their offense has not been performing, defense has been adequate sometimes pretty good, but as we learned last year you can't leave the defense on the field for 90% of the game.

It will be interesting to see how they respond in conference, last year in several games everything just fell right, from Chang being suspended at Hawaii to one play being the difference from winning and losing. On top of that their best playmaker Bryant, graduated.

Or maybe they've just been reading their press clippings.
buspen
Junior Varsity

Postby Silk » Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:05 pm

I did get the sense last year that Tulsa had a little smoke-and-mirrors work going on. Don't get me wrong - they were vastly improved over the previous season, and had a nice run last year. And who knows, maybe they'll tear it up in the WAC games this year. But I just get the sense they'll come back toward the pack a little this year.
Silk
Varsity

Re: Tulsa

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:28 pm

Casey wrote:Bowl team last year, 0-3 this year -- what gives?

Have they had a lot of injuries or something? I know they lost to a good OSU team, and Navy shut them out (how did THAT happen) .... who else got 'em? Are they falling way off this year, or have they gotten caught in a particularly tough schedule in the early going?

Look who they played and beat last year...not much.
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby SMUguy » Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:24 pm

Their bowl game with Georgia Tech was pretty revealing, I thought.
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby The PonyGrad » Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:34 pm

Currently Tulsa seems to have defined strengths and weaknesses. Both seem to be in the running game. They can run and they can not defend the run. This will cause match-up problems with certain teams. For example Rice should kill Tulsa.
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Football