PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Thoughts/questions from Coach B's press conference

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Thoughts/questions from Coach B's press conference

Postby Sasser Rules » Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:42 am

When asked about his approach to the first three games, he said he told the team "now the season starts Saturday." (Right approach, Coach.)

Coach B praised Zach Hall and Avery Cleveland. (If ever there was a time for some young guys to step up big, this is it! He said he's yet not sure about the complete rotation at LB this week.)

Same with Blake Pyro - Coach says he "has a future here." (My only question: who is Blake Pyro?)

Brent Karrington will back up Melvin Williams at DE.

If Akinyemi can't play, Brandon Jones will step in. Jonathan Lindley has had back spasms.

All 3 QBs will be given a shot in practice this week to earn the starting job, which will be decided Friday or Saturday. (Nothing like keeping the opposition guessing! My guess is that the coaches will know sooner than that who will start - and also that all 3 will play - but if you can make San Jose freak out a little, wondering who they're going to face, I'm all for holding off on the announcement.)

Starting WRs this week: Bobby Chase, Reynaldo Pellerin, Chris Foster, Jay'Mond Cleveland.

Said Ryan (Kennedy) has "been one of the bright spots, and he's getting better and better. He's playing with confidence. He's catching well, and blocking well." Coach B said RK's game is "going up, and coming at a good time." He said RK has soft hands, runs good routes and has great anticipation about where the ball is going to be thrown. Said he likes not only RKs catching, but also the way he runs after the catch. Sounds to me like he's going to be more of a featured part of the offense.

Said SJSU is "a team a lot like us," in that the Spartans are juggling combinations, trying lots of players at lots of positions. Said the SJSU offensive line is "giants" - especially with the OTs, each of whom is around 6-6, 320. New TEs, new RBs, (2) new QBs and 3 new WRs. (Sounds to me like - with all those new parts - this is a team that could be forced into some confusion. If we have enough walking bodies, lets's show them lots of looks and force them into lots of penalties.)

Called SJ RB Tyson Thompson "a very good player." (Mentioned that Thompson played for his brother, Jim Bennett, at Irving HS. That story's well documented. If Jim Bennett is at the game, he'd better be decked out in SMU colors and cheering for his SMU guys.)

Said he and his staff had "looked at" playing Johnnie Fitzgerald at LB, and said that's "still in the process." Said he played all special teams, and they've decided for the time being to keep him at safety. (Whatever - his combination of size and speed are unique. I'd like to see him on the field somewhere. My prediction: Fitzgerald will have an interception this week.)
Sasser Rules
Varsity

Return to Football