PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

FRY - Amos Alonzo Stagg Award (Go Maroon, Go U. of Chicago)

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

FRY - Amos Alonzo Stagg Award (Go Maroon, Go U. of Chicago)

Postby Water Pony » Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:43 pm

:D

Fry honored by coaches

12:28 PM CDT on Wednesday, September 22, 2004

By RICK ALONZO / The Dallas Morning News

Hayden Fry, a Baylor alumnus who distinguished himself as coach at SMU, North Texas and Iowa, has been honored as the 2005 recipient of the American Football Coaches Association's Amos Alonzo Stagg Award. The award honors those "whose services have been outstanding in the advancement of the best interests of football."

Fry will be presented with the award at the ADT Awards Luncheon on Jan. 11, 2005, at the AFCA Convention in Louisville, Ky. Fry, who retired in 1998, finished with a career record of 232-178-10 in 37 seasons as a head coach. He was a member of the 2003 College Football Hall of Fame induction class.

"As a young guy growing up, Amos Alonzo Stagg was my hero," Fry said. "You saw the old film clips of him, Pop Warner, Knute Rockne and you wanted to emulate them. All that flashes through your mind when you find out you'll receive an award in his name. To me it's the highest honor a coach can receive. It's a tribute to outstanding coaches and players I worked with, a real tribute to those people."

Fry joins a list of previous honorees that includes Dana Bible, Eddie Robinson, Paul "Bear" Bryant and Joe Paterno.
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:46 pm

And SMU fired him. Pitiful.
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Football