PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

QUESTION ABOUT 97-NEW TO PONY FANS

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

QUESTION ABOUT 97-NEW TO PONY FANS

Postby carolina stang » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:59 pm

I'm new to the site and have a question that probably has been answered a hundred if not a thousand times, but here goes: In the final game of 97 (loss to TCU) was there any specific reason why Flanigan was not in the game late in the fourth quarter (I know he alternated a lot that year with Sanders)? Also, I don't remember Dante Womack playing at all. These guys had been a big reason we had defeated Arkansas in 96 and 97, just curious.

I know there are tons of Rossley haters on this board, but I do remember games like UCLA in 94 on the road that we almost won. (Almost, I know doesn't count.)

Anyway, I support Coach Bennett in a big way. I feel confident about this weekend and was glad to see that Stallion and others (whose opinions I respect from the posts I have read) feeling that we will win this weekend.

I travelled from Greensboro to see the Tech game and thought we played very inspired.

Anyway, glad to post for the first time. Go Mustangs. I love the board!
carolina stang
Varsity

Postby WildHorse » Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:16 pm

Welcome aboard, CS - we love this board, too. Got to visit every day!

Sorry, I don't remember the reasons at that game. But I guarantee someone on this board will.
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Postby Cheesesteak » Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:23 pm

Welcome to the board.
Cheesesteak
All-American

Postby PK » Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:06 pm

I don't remember Flanigan not playing in the fourth quarter, but I do remember Womack being held out of the whole game for "breaking some team rule" or some such nonsense. Our best RB, a senior, in the last game of the season which could have made us eligible for a bowl with a 7 - 4 record, is held out of the game and we allow the loathsome frogs to beat us for their only win of the season and we go 6 - 5. That made me sick...still does.

BTW, welcome aboard.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:23 pm

because "cave-in" was an idiot and now we see all the teams that have lined up to hire him since smu canned him
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMUstang » Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:25 pm

PK, it did and still does make me puke too. I'll guarantee that if Rossely had still been coach those guys would have played and we would have won that game. Not only that, we would have had a much better season than 6-5 in my opinion.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby KnuckleStang » Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:31 pm

I was at that game, and it made me want to drink myself to death. Man, did we stink it up on national tube. To be honest, I remember thinking it didn't matter whether we had Womack or not. The Froggies wanted it more than we did. What a crap night, and what a crap stadium.

I want to see some hungry stangs on Saturday. EAT SPARTAN MEAT.
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby carolina stang » Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:53 am

Thanks for the info. It was a sickening night at TCU. I was at the game in 96 in Fayetteville when Ramon and Dante ran wild. Cavan then took a 5-6 team in 96 and made it 6-5 and was anointed the savior.

OK. I'll let it go. Back to 2004. Beat San Josie and the pcats.
carolina stang
Varsity

Re:

Postby PonySnob » Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:09 am

PK wrote:I do remember Womack being held out of the whole game for "breaking some team rule" or some such nonsense.

Supposedly, Donte was just laying some pipe the night before the game and evidently, Cave-in did not really agree with that as a pre-game activity.

Between the loss to TCU that year and then the huge melt-down against Ole Miss in the Cotton Bowl, were two things that started the failure of the Cave-in regime.
PonySnob
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Football