PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Monday Night Football

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Monday Night Football

Postby Red+BlueDude » Wed Oct 17, 2001 3:34 pm

As an admitted Redskins fan, I stayed up until the end of that hideous display with Dallas Monday night (and remember, we're an hour later out here). That fiasco was not worth going to work tired for. But what struck me was that both "teams" had spots at which some former SMU stars could excel.

Both teams sould try to trade for Donald Mitchell and Jacoby Rhinehart. They'd be backups in Washington behind the great Darrell Green and the equally great Champ Bailey, but they'd lock down both corner spots in Dallas. Or, even though they're not safeties, they certainly could unseat Sam Shade and David Terrell, the 'Skins' horrible twosome back there.

Why Chris Bordano doesn't have a job with one of these teams is a mystery. I personally think he's better than Dat Nguyen -- he certainly is better against the run and a harder hitter -- and looks like Sam Huff or Mike Curtis or Chris Hanburger next to the crop of misfits roaming the middle for the Redskins (Kevin Mason? Whatever his name is....)

Greg Ellis is the real deal. But Peppi Zellner and Dorian Boose are walking evidence that Jason Evans should be starting for one of these teams. Now.

How many recent SMU offensive linemen could start on the interior of the Redskins' offensive line? Their tackles, Chris Samuels and Jon Jansen, are great. But the center position and the two guard spots should be taken up by some combination of Austin Adami, Keith Chiles, Brannon Kidd, Trey Bandy, Bill Holder, Jerry Chavira. And James McCarthy, Joey Slaten and Thornton Chandler should be promised backup spots after they're done at SMU. (If they don't take Kevin Garmon's spot at right guard for the Cowboys - he's huge, but he sucks, too.)

Kelan Luker, David Page and Richard Bartel all could start for both teams.

How many SMU receivers could play for these guys? The Cowboys were down to one healthy receiver at the end of the game, if you can call Darrin Chiavarinni an NFL receiver. Michael Westbrook should be good, but they don't throw to him. Rod Garner should be good, but he doesn't catch what they throw to him. Kevin Lockett should be good .... but he's Kevin Lockett. I'm guessing Comet, Taylor, Freeman (he can't catch either, but he's faster than Gardner) and Billy Ford all could play for either team.

Running back is the only position at which both teams have a stud. Kincade could be a backup for either team, though.
Red+BlueDude
Varsity

Re: Monday Night Football

Postby whatasteve » Wed Oct 17, 2001 3:54 pm

Maybe we (Redskins) could get Coach Cavan and Coach Kueck to come run the team and the offense. I think I could coach the offense more effectively than it is now. The Schottenheimers are horrible, at least when it comes to moving the ball and putting points on the board. How can they not throw to Westbrook more? Teams are stacking their defenses to stuff Stephen Davis, because they know there is absolutely zero threat through the air.

What do you think Daniel Snyder would have to do to pry Cavan away from the Hilltop?
whatasteve
Junior Varsity

Postby PerunaPunch » Fri Oct 19, 2001 12:42 pm

Hopefully, all he'll have to do is go down to the unemployment line and pick Cavan up.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 19, 2001 3:55 pm

That's cold!

Return to Football