PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Glad to see we are adopting a \"win NOW\" attitude...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Glad to see we are adopting a \"win NOW\" attitude...

Postby HixsontoLeVias » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:24 am

....why else would we be starting and seriuosly looking at two Juco QB's (around for another year or two) VS. going with a young Soph with 3 years of playing time left..? This strategy tells me the "we are young, we are fresh, just wait until '06, we expect to lose our first 3 plus games, etc., etc." mind set is slowly fading away....GOOD!! Quite frankly, I was growing a bit tired of this mentality, especially considering the conference we "compete" in, yes, I know BSU and FSU are ranked, but, week in week out, SJSU, Rice, Hawaii, UTEP, Tulsa, La Tech should not freak us out.....my hats off to Coach B and his staff for attempting to find ways to win some games, let's hope it continues.......Go Ponies...how 'bout an upset!! Long Live Keith Bobo...
HixsontoLeVias
All-American

Postby PonySnob » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:46 am

I think that in 2005, SMU fans should be able to expect positive results on the playing field. The team might still be somewhat on the young side, but it will not be lacking for experience. I believe that we only lose one starter on each side of the ball this year.
PonySnob
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Corso » Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:19 pm

And this allows another year for Phillips to soak up the new offense, so he'll be even better when he recovers from his injury.

Go Ponies!
Corso
Hall of Famer

Re: Glad to see we are adopting a \"win NOW\" attitude...

Postby The PonyGrad » Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:37 pm

HixsontoLeVias wrote:....why else would we be starting and seriuosly looking at two Juco QB's (around for another year or two) VS. going with a young Soph with 3 years of playing time left..? This strategy ..

Your argument seems to imply that the JC QBs were chosen to play over Phillips. Of course, Chris sat due to injury, not by design.

Having said that I do not belive that Bennett has changed anything. He wanted to recruit JCs from the get go. He also wanted to build a program for the long term that recruits and red-shirts as many freshmen as possible.

8)
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Glad to see we are adopting a \"win NOW\" attitude...

Postby SWC2010 » Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:09 pm

The PonyGrad wrote:
HixsontoLeVias wrote:....why else would we be starting and seriuosly looking at two Juco QB's (around for another year or two) VS. going with a young Soph with 3 years of playing time left..? This strategy ..

Your argument seems to imply that the JC QBs were chosen to play over Phillips. Of course, Chris sat due to injury, not by design.

Having said that I do not belive that Bennett has changed anything. He wanted to recruit JCs from the get go. He also wanted to build a program for the long term that recruits and red-shirts as many freshmen as possible.

8)

PG, the injury may turn out to be a blessing in disguise for both Phillips (long term) & the team (short term). Phillips get to watch & absorb from the sideline (what most FR/SO QB do in D-I), while the team gets the QB experience & maturity from the 2 JUCO.

The fact that Bennett recruited 2 JUCO QB's make me think he had such plans (but Chris had the better Spring workouts & held the #1 position)
SWC2010
Heisman

Return to Football