PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Redshirt for Phillips?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Redshirt for Phillips?

Postby The PonyGrad » Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:07 pm

Bennett did not mention anything about a potential readshirt for Phillips when commenting about his condition, nor have I heard anything about that since last week. Anyone know the story? :?:
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyFan » Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:20 pm

I don't know, but his injury is one that sometimes can linger, and if so, he's played less than 20 percent of the season, which I believe is the rule to determine whether he's eligible. So without knowing for sure, I expect he's eligble. Whether that's the coaches' plan .... who knows.
PonyFan
Heisman

Postby Sasser Rules » Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:48 am

I think Phillips has the most overall talent, but Eckert and Romo are both playing well. I agree that redshirting Chris might be the best thing - for him and for the program.
Sasser Rules
Varsity

Postby DiamondM75 » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:48 am

At the Coffee with Coach Bennett on the Thursday before the San Jose State game, coach Bennett did talk about the possibilities of a redshirt for Phillips. The 20% rule is correct. If a player has played less than 20% of the total playing time of the season, then that player is automatically eligible for a medical red-shirt. Coach Bennett said that if Phillips condition prevents him from playing for 4 or 5 weeks, then they will use the medical red shirt.

You guys should attend the Coffee meetings at 7:00am on the Thursday before home games in the stadium club. You can get a lot of information and ask just about any question to Bennett or Copeland.
Just send 'da money.
DiamondM75
Hall of Famer

Return to Football