PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Defensive Line

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Defensive Line

Postby blakep44 » Mon Aug 07, 2000 12:39 pm

Chase has gained a lot of weight this summer while working his butt off. I think he is almost at 270. I think he is going to be fun to watch this yr.
If at first you don't succeed, drink.
blakep44
Scout Team

Postby SMUPonyFan » Mon Aug 07, 2000 2:16 pm

Drew Helmey is third string DE. Trent Hrncir and Johnson Patman are both in front of Drew. It think our DE's is something we should not be worrying about, it is the two in the middle.

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby PonyPower » Mon Aug 07, 2000 4:23 pm

Chase Schavrda is up to 270? He made a lot of great plays when he wasn't physically overmatched. It's going to be great watching him work people over inside. It looks like there's some real good size on the interior of the defensive line.
PonyPower
All-American

Postby PonyTales » Mon Aug 07, 2000 4:25 pm

No offense intended, but Johnson Patman and Trent Buy-A-Vowel do nothing for me. Patman needs another year or two to add strength, and Trent looks kind of stiff - I don't think he has the mobility to get around the corner to reach the quarterback. I hope Helmey surprises some people.
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby SMUguy » Mon Aug 07, 2000 7:07 pm

Saw Warrie Birdwell a few weeks ago, and he looked like he's added some size (hopefully in the weight room). And someone said Lute Croy is even bigger this year. With the earlier post about Schavrda's increased bulk, we may have a better bunch inside on the defensive line than we thought.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby SMUPonyFan » Mon Aug 07, 2000 8:55 pm

I disagree. Patman had some great pt last year. When Pratt missed a game, Patman came in and picked up where Pratt left off. I think Patman had a sack or two. He offers consistency. Hrncir had a great spring. I saw him the other day and he has gained significant weight. I think he is around 250. Hrncir was also moved from LB to DE, so Spring was his first time at DE. I think Helmey is too slow and not nearly strong enough.

One thing is for sure, Pratt and Aldridge are going to be an awesome duo at ends. It is great to hear that Chase has gotten so big, and same with Warrie. I think size was the only factor hurting Warrie, but is he has it now, I am pumped about the DL.

------------------
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby PonyTales » Tue Aug 08, 2000 12:37 pm

Didn't realize it was Trent H's first go-round at DE, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Hope you're right (and I'm wrong) about Johnson Patman. But I'm not putting money down either way.
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby PonyDad » Tue Aug 08, 2000 1:04 pm

I agree, Patman is a solid performer and should get lots of pt, especially as they rotate D-linemen this year. After watching the Spring game, one scrimmage and several practices, we have 3 solid DE's in Aldridge, Pratt and Patman. After that the 4th, and mabe 5th position is up for grabs. Hrncir, Helmey and Petersen ar all about the same. Spring was Helmey's first outing as a DE after playing LB all through HS and Petersen was moved up from the practice squad in the middle of the year and saw some time.

Its good to hear that Hrncir has added some weight. Helmey has also bulked up and worked hard all summer and will report in great shape. I haven't heard anything about Petersen.

There should be plenty of depth here allowing the freshment to RS assuming there is no breakthrough talent coming in.
PonyDad

Postby SMU00 » Tue Aug 08, 2000 1:25 pm

Who's Peterson?

I assume none of the freshmen will crack the lineup. One of them (Somebody Williams???) is only 210, and Adami and Glockson (or whatever his name is) need some serious time in the weight room and in the cafeteria.
SMU00
Junior Varsity

Postby SMUPonyFan » Tue Aug 08, 2000 9:10 pm

Peterson is a Junior walkon. He has got some playing time, but not much. I think he was injured last year, or maybe for spring. I don't really remember.

I don't really see any of the freshman making the lineup this year. I think we have too much talent at DE.

------------------
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby Pony4Life » Wed Aug 09, 2000 10:51 am

The guy I want to see is J.D. Blagg. Ever since he was recruited, we've heard that this guy is unbelievably strong. If I remember correctly, wasn't he originally recruited as a tight end? The rumors I hear are that he's added more and more strength and size, and should factor into the mix at DT. I'm ready to see Blagg get in and mix it up on the defensive line!
Fountain of youth
Giver of truth
Six parts gin
One part vermouth
Pony4Life
Heisman

Postby horseman » Wed Aug 09, 2000 12:08 pm

I agree with SMU4LIFE! J D Blagg is the most intriguing player in this whole discussion. Blagg is a wildcard that I am anxious to see. I found it interesting that JD was the only player that Coach Henderson spoke of in more detail than the other DL that he named in his Ponyfan.com exclusive interview. He mentioned that "we" feel like he has a good chance to be a great player. This indicates to me that the other coaches have noticed him and are anxious to see what he can do.

The tough thing is that he was not able to go through spring ball, but he can win a definite role on this team in two-a-days. I know that we probably shouldn't put too much pressure or expect too much from a redshirt freshman who didn't go through spring ball.

However, he must have the ability. He was ranked on both the strength (#15) and athletism (#19) charts as only a redshirt. He was only behind 2 other DL and really close to being behind just one of them.

He will be one to keep an eye on during 2-a-days. His stock could go way up in those 2 weeks. I remember Pratt won a starting job last year during 2-a-days. Blagg is definitely a wildcard.

BTW, I really love this sight. Keep up the great work!
horseman

Postby SMUPonyFan » Wed Aug 09, 2000 12:45 pm

JD is a great guy and a very strong player. We have not gotten a real good chance to see him, but I think the coaches and team have a lot of confidence in him. Graypony, your thoughts?

------------------
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby graypony » Wed Aug 09, 2000 1:43 pm

He is really excited to have Coach Henderson to be his coach. Remember, Coach H was a defensive coordinator at Big 10 Purdue. Coach Hyatt did an admirable job last year, but there is no substitute for Coach Henderson's knowledge and experience, not only in X's and O's, but in relating to young men. To be honest, JD has not participated in pads at full strength since October of '98. He has not made a tackle or been in on a play in a game or even spring practice. I hope that he will be a major contributor, but that may be a year away. It's hard to make much of an impression in 2-a-days. The coaches are getting ready for the season. Spring ball is where positions are earned. There is a lot of experience at DT (Croy, Schavrda, Birdwell, & Patman). If JD can contribute much this year it will be a major bonus for the Mustangs and fun for him.
graypony
Junior Varsity

Postby MustangMatt » Wed Aug 09, 2000 2:09 pm

Thanks for the info Graypony. I hope to see you around some practices, maybe, and for sure on 9-2-2000!

------------------
Please click on an ad when you get a chance. It is those advertisers that enable us to keep this site free!!!
GO PONIES!
Please click on an ad when you get a chance. It is those advertisers that enable us to keep this site free!!!<BR>GO PONIES!
MustangMatt
Junior Varsity

Next

Return to Football