PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

First Practice

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

First Practice

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 07, 2000 3:31 pm

Today the freshman took the practice field. They were split up by position for the whole practice. There are 5 O-lineman, 1 TE, a group of receivers and DB's, a few DE's and DL's, a couple RB's, and two QB's.

Overall, the group is short but strong. They seem to be more built than past years. David Page looks pretty good; he should make the QB race a little more interesting. He has a great arm. The receivers seemed to have trouble hanging on to the ball, but it is the first day. The OL looks decent. There is a guy named Luter (I believe) who looks to be of good size. The rest are smaller, but have potential. I think the DB's might be the strongest of the freshman, but it is so early it is hard to tell.

This morning was spent going over basic skills and getting the freshman ready for practice, when everyone shows up. I don't think we will be able to tell much until next week.

There are 17 scholarship freshman and 18 walk-ons. The class looks better in person than they do on paper.

------------------
PonyFanMan
Co-Founder, Ponyfans.com
Cwilson@ponyfans.com
Please click on an ad when you get a chance. It is those advertisers that enable us to keep this site free!!!

Re: First Practice

Postby DallasDiehard » Mon Aug 07, 2000 4:29 pm

PonyFanMan -

Do you know the times of practices this week? Which field (intramural or the practice fields outside Ford)?

You'd better be right about the DB's being the best of the freshmen -- several of them need to be ready to play when Kansas comes in here 9-2-2000.

HOW big is this Luter kid?

[This message has been edited by DallasDiehard (edited 08-07-2000).]
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby MustangMatt » Mon Aug 07, 2000 10:07 pm

All practices are on the intramural fields until we move into Ford. The schedule says practices start at 8 and 2, but today I think the afternoon started at 3. It is roughly 8-9ish and 2-3ish starts.

Luter is about 6-5 and close to 300.

------------------
Please click on an ad when you get a chance. It is those advertisers that enable us to keep this site free!!!
GO PONIES!
Please click on an ad when you get a chance. It is those advertisers that enable us to keep this site free!!!<BR>GO PONIES!
MustangMatt
Junior Varsity

Postby Horseshoe » Tue Aug 08, 2000 12:33 pm

Where did Luter go to high school?
Horseshoe
All-American

Return to Football