PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

LaTech notes

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

LaTech notes

Postby Roach » Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:41 am

Found this on the Monroe News-Star site:

GONZO RETURNS

Senior right tackle Adrian Gonzalez, who has missed the last three games with a left knee injury will return to the starting lineup Saturday.

Gonzalez has been out since injuring the knee during practice the week of the Tennessee game.

With the return of starting left tackle Lester Brown from an injury last week, the Bulldogs will have their two starting tackles back for the first time since the second game of the season against UL-Lafayette.

"I'm ready to get out there,' Gonzalez said. "After being out three weeks it's hard to see everybody playing. It's a relief to go out and play and get in a rhythm again.'

FAST FREDDIE

Freshman running back Freddie Franklin opened some eyes by rushing for 75 yards in relief of Ryan Moats at Auburn. Far from being nervous, Franklin soaked up the experience.

"That was a great experience for a true freshman to go in and do that,' said the former New Orleans Carver High product. "That was a dream come true for a freshman to carry the load in an atmosphere like that.'

Franklin said it took him one series to get his sea legs and then he was ready.

"After that it was smooth sailing,' he said. "Play football.'

Said Tech coach Jack Bicknell: "He wasn't intimidated at all. He was very sure of himself. When he gets more strength he's going to be something else.'

RICHARDSON TO RETURN Running back Shelton Richardson, who suffered a broken femur in the spring game, is set to resume practicing. Richardson was having a terrific spring when he suffered the injury.

The hope is that the 6-2, 230-pound junior could be ready in time for the Hawaii game on Nov. 6.

Richardson would give Tech some more depth and a different look at running back.

"He said he felt pretty good,' Bicknell said. "But you don't take a guy with a broken leg and say 'Let's go.'

INTO THE FIRE

The return of Gonzalez and Brown at tackle means redshirt freshman Tyler Miller goes back to the bench, but not after some valuable experience.

Miller made two starts at left tackle against Tennessee and Fresno State and one start at right tackle against Auburn.

"His first three games he played at Tennessee, Fresno and at Auburn,' Bicknell said. "That's a tough way to ease into it. Then he switched sides last week and that's a different issue with a different stance adn all the plays going the other way.'

Getting to know...Jemelle Cage

Tech senior defensive lineman Jemelle Cage is making the most of his final season. Cage, who got himself into the best shape of his life this summer, shed 15 pounds and added strength and spee. Now at 275 pounds Cage has been a nightmare for opposing offensive linemen and quarterbacks. Cage currently ranks eighth in the country in quarterback sacks with six and is tied for first in the WAC in total sacks. The fun-loving Cage who loves to talk as much as he loves to hound quarterbacks, took a few minutes to talk with News-Star senior writer Scott Beder.

Q: I hear you're a pretty good trash talker during a game.

A: You've got to let them know that football is a contact sport. I like to have fun and be competitive every play and let the other guy know that it's going to be mental and physical and it's going to be like that the whole game.

Q: Have you gotten off any good one liners recently?

A: I kept telling the Fresno quarterback (Paul Pinegar) we're coming. I told him at the beginning, I said 'Pin we're coming.' He said, 'We'll see, bring it on.' In the first quarter after they scored he said 'Cage, it doesn't look like it.' In the second half he said, 'I guess you were right.'

Q: I heard you gave the Lafayette center a hard time about his colored contacts.

A: I told him this is the first time I've seen a 300-pounder with hazel contacts. I told him this is football, not a beauty show.

WAC roundup

SMU WANTED MOATS

SMU coach Phil Bennett fielded questions this week about Tech running back Ryan Moats, who is from Dallas, and whether the Mustangs tried to recruit him.

Moats came out in Bennett's first year as coach. Bennett had already decided to honor the scholarships of 16 signees of the previous regime, which left him with nothing to offer Moats, except the opportunity to walkon.

"We talked to him about walking on for a semester if you can believe that. He didn't slip by us. We knew he was a good player. When you look back on it, letting Ryan go wasn't very smart. Jack and them came in full bore and offered and it's been a great addition for them.'
Roach
Heisman

Postby LATech » Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:01 pm

Thanks for posting that. I didn't know Adrian Gonzalez 6'-6" 325 right tackle was cleared to play again for Louisiana Tech.

He's from Dallas Skyline and is projected as a fairly high NFL draft pick.

Go Dawgs, Go WAC!
LATech
Scout Team

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:50 pm

We should send out medical bills, everyone seems to get well just in time for the SMU game.
ALEX LIFESON
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Football