PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

WAC West

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

WAC West

Postby No Cal Pony » Tue Oct 30, 2001 9:06 pm

Just some thoughts about the western part of the WAC. I realize that many folks don't have much interest in the west, but I believe that this should change if we are to remain in the WAC. Sjsu is a good school with some good teams. They are neighbors to stanford, remember a guy named Elway, and his dad who was a coach at sjsu? Fresno is a fast growing region of CA and not to be discounted. I grew up in CA, so I do care about our western cohorts. I am happy as I can make some SMU games without travelling too far. Fresno, sjsu, and nevada are all within a three hour drive from home. Also, there is a lot of talent in the areas we play in out west. I know Sac has a lot of good kids, and schools from all over come to check them out, especially oregon. But so has tennessee, florida st., lsu, ucla, usc, cal, and not to mention fresno and nevada.

Getting some recognition by playing out west could help SMU attracct some of this talent. We cannot rely on the Dallas/Fort Worth and Texas element. I mean, if a kid would consider nevada, or boise st., why not SMU? One of the top recruits this year out of Davis, CA is named Dallas? Why no go after a kid like that instead of letting them go quietly to usc? I do understand our limitations in recruiting, but should SMU hinder itself. Take advatage of the opportunity of playing out west. Anyway, just some thoughts.

I wish the team the best this coming weekend. Beat nevada!

Go Ponies!
No Cal Pony
Varsity

Return to Football