PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

ShanD gets national pub

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

ShanD gets national pub

Postby Corso » Thu Nov 01, 2001 6:32 pm

From some guy named Mel Kiper of ESPN fame....

"A NEW SIR CHARLES?
With so many true freshman running backs stealing the spotlight -- such as Texas' Cedric Benson, Ohio State's Lydell Ross, Miami (Fla.)'s Frank Gore, Auburn's Carnell Williams, Minnesota's Marion Barber III and Virginia Tech's Kevin Jones -- the sudden emergence of another first-year performer, SMU's ShanDerrick Charles, has been easy to overlook.

After not carrying the football in the first four games of the season, Charles was given an opportunity against San Jose State on Oct. 13 after the Mustangs' leading rusher, Keylon Kincade, didn't travel with the team due to a concussion. While all of his carries came after the first quarter, Charles still rushed for 243 yards and led the Mustangs to their first win of the season. That single-game total topped the 241-yard mark of Eric Dickerson and fell one yard shy of the school record (244 yards by Mike Richardson in 1968).

This past weekend, Charles proved that he wasn't just a one-game flash, again leading the way as the Mustangs overcame an early two-TD deficit to roll to a 40-14 victory over UTEP. Charles rushed for 212 yards and four TDs on 27 carries. The hard-nosed 5-9, 173-pounder showcases a determined style to go along with his vision and quick feet."
Corso
Hall of Famer

Re: ShanD gets national pub

Postby PK » Thu Nov 01, 2001 6:42 pm

Nice to see ShanD get the national exposure....not to mention SMU. I have to assume, that after he gets his next 200+yd game this weekend, you will really be ready to talk about the kid....correct? I am hoping of course that ShanD does indeed do it again.

Go Mustangs!!!!!
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PerunaPunch » Fri Nov 02, 2001 12:17 pm

Heck, I even heard the DJs mention the SMU vs. Nevada game on the drive in this morning... and it wasn't even one of the sports stations.

Success breeds success.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby PerunaPunch » Fri Nov 02, 2001 12:20 pm

Heck, I even heard the DJs mention the SMU vs. Nevada game on the drive in this morning... and it wasn't even one of the sports stations.

Success breeds success.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Return to Football