PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Hire [deleted] Tomey

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Hire [deleted] Tomey

Postby Dwan » Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:29 pm

Given the state of our football program, I had to register and join this site. While I do not want to bash our current coach, I feel that the fact he has won three games in two and a half years and that our offenese and defense rank near dead last in the NCAA is reason enough to think that perhaps Bennett was not the man for the job. He is a good man and has brought in some nice players, but I just don;t think he is head coach material.

I think SMU has a huge chance to hire an amazing coach in [deleted] Tomey. He has had success as a head coach at both Hawaii and Arizona. His Arizona teams of the mid to late 90s were top 10-15 teams and some of the best in the history of the school. I think is 95 team went 12-1 and finished number 4 in the nation. At Arizona, he recruited well in Texas and is currently an assistant at UT. He wants to be a head coach again and was a finalist for the UTEP job. He has a spotless reputation with the NCAA and has always been a players coach. I think if we do bring in a new coach, which I think we should, his name should be at the top of our list
Dwan
Heisman

Postby ponygrad90 » Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:15 pm

[deleted] Tomey would be great, there are several proven head coaches currently not working, I read an article that UTEP's coach is now being considered at Florida. Bottom Line : We need a winning coach to right this ship, I would love to see what Hotlz could do here. But Phil Bennett if you care anything about this team or our school, Please Step Down (or because I believe you are in over your head) let us pull you out of the deep end!
ponygrad90
Varsity

Postby RGV Pony » Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:07 pm

Isn't Tomey about 80 and retired from U of A d/t the stress of being head man? And I thought he was at UT only as a consultant of sorts, then slowly added more duties.
RGV Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Dwan » Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:21 pm

He is 64 but is full of fire and could coach another 8-10 years and has stated many times that he would like to. He got screwed/fired by Arizona who replaced him with Mackovic and then he spent time with the 49ners before taking a job at UT.

Here is his bio. I just think he is a great coach with an impressive resume who we could actually get. We will never get a Neuhisel or a Spurier, but we could get this guy.

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/ ... tomey.html
Dwan
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:53 am

Just what we need an over the hill coach who will stay here about two years.
EastStang

Postby Dwan » Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:05 pm

that's what they said about Mike Price at UTEP and they are ranked 25th in the bcs. Also said the same thing about Howard Schemblicker and Bobby Ross. I guess you are right, let's keep Bennett or hire another underqualified assistant.
Dwan
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:48 pm

Tomey won't come, its just that simple. No coach will come to SMU who has any reputation if they thought Bennett was not given a chance to succeed. Remember - Year 1, no returning QB, crappy team, star running back breaks his back. Year 2, a team inherited from Cavan with two top 100 recruits on the whole team. Year 3, plays a bunch of freshmen, red-shirts, and sophomores (lose starting linebackers, running back and QB). We don't know if Bennett can't coach. Now why would Tomey come to rebuild a program that won't stand by their coach. Mike Price got a bunch of kids that would not get accepted into SMU.
EastStang

Postby Bergermeister » Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:25 pm

Dwan: there is no list. You can unregister now.
Bergermeister

Postby Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex » Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:12 pm

Can we dig up George Allen and see if he call pull that bit he did at Long Beach State?
Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex
Hall of Famer

Postby Dwan » Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:34 pm

Can people see that the problem with Bennett is the combination of our admission policies coupled with the fact he is not a good coach = where we are right now.

Cal hired Jeff Tedford the same year we hired Bennett. Cal was 1-10 and their only win was against Rutgers the year before he was hired. In less than 3 years they are a top 5 team. Now, that kind of success is impossible at SMU but it shows what a quality coach can do. The real depressing irony is that Cal Berkely is a top 10 academic school in the nation, and if you have a heartbeat and a 4.3 40, they will admit you.
Dwan
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:47 pm

So genius, Tedford is a great coach because he has a team that admits anyone with a 4.3 and a heartbeat, and he plays in the PAC 10 which allows players to know that they'll get to play USC, UCLA, Washington, etc. We on the other hand get to recruit players who have to meet some academic restrictions and who are anxious to line up with the likes of Nevada, San Jose State, Fresno State, and Boise State. See the difference there sport. Put Tedford at SMU he'd be 4-28 for his career too.
EastStang

Postby ponygrad90 » Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:06 pm

I completely disagree with your analysis. Gregg, Rossely and Cavan had worse situations than Bennett with better success. What does it mean? Bennett stinks as a head coach! He flat out cannot coach Football. If you put a good head coach at SMU they would be achieving more success than Bennett. He is in his third year of his system and by his own analysis claims the team has progressively gotten worse. When he had players that were in Cavan's system he actually won 3 games. Now his recruits some of whom he has been working with for three years just are not showing improvement as a football team. Folks- you can call it any way you want to but most observers of the game would call that Coaching! Here is one case where Bo doesn't know!
ponygrad90
Varsity

Postby Dwan » Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:07 pm

Ah, sport, I think you missed the point. Cal under Tom Holmoe had the same admission policy as they do now. Tedford, with Holmoe's players took a 1-10 team to 7-5 in one year. Of of that, he has used the points you mentioned to turn Cal into a top 5 team. I'm not saying that is remotley possible at SMU What I'm saying, is that the turn around from 1-10, to 7-5 in one year was not recruiting, was not the facilities (Cal has the worst of any BCS school), was not the admission policy, it was coaching. Aaron Rodgers, the highest ranked passer in the nation went unrecruited (Cal was his only offer) and Tedford has turned him into a first round pick.
Dwan
Heisman

Re:

Postby PK » Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:14 pm

ponygrad90 wrote: When he had players that were in Cavan's system he actually won 3 games. Now his recruits some of whom he has been working with for three years just are not showing improvement as a football team. Folks- you can call it any way you want to but most observers of the game would call that Coaching!
Cavan went 6-5 with basically Rossely's team. Cavans record got worse with every passing year as Rossley's recruits graduated out of the system. Our seniors this year are still Cavan recruits, basically the good ones as the others have slowly dissappeared. Bennett's first recruiting class was mostly Cavans recruits because Bennett honored the schools commitments to those recruits because it was the honorable thing to do. Those guys are now either juniors or redshirt sophomores. Bennett's first class of totally his own recruits are now sophomores or redshirt freshmen. His third recruiting class (the second of only his own recruits) are now true freshmen. His first season, he basically had two freshmen QB's neither one of which were probably really D-1 material though it would be hard to tell since they were thrown into the fire immediately since our starting QB decided to be a rock star. Bennett gave the uperclassmen each year every chance to prove their worth...some did, but too many didn't. So let's not get too uppity about how he has had three years to get improvements. This year is not over and there is still opportunity for this team to show improvement. Next year will ultimately tell if Bennett has the where with all to turn this thing around.
PK

Postby sam » Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:02 pm

Alright PK do not blame That first class on Cavan,when bennett took over he went over that list and keep the ones he wanted the others he told he would honor the schools committment but they would not play football for him. So if they dressed they were his recruits... period
sam
Junior Varsity

Next

Return to Football