PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Hire [deleted] Tomey

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re:

Postby PK » Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:19 pm

sam wrote:Alright PK do not blame That first class on Cavan,when bennett took over he went over that list and keep the ones he wanted the others he told he would honor the schools committment but they would not play football for him. So if they dressed they were his recruits... period
Really?? And you know this to be fact because....??? Not saying you're wrong...just curious as to your source of this information.

By the time Bennett was brought on board (early December I believe), given the holidays and all the quiet time and dead time periods, there wasn't a whole lot of time left to build a class of 25 top recruits before February signing day, and you always need bodies for practice so I would think he would suit them up anyway, whether they were ever going to get to play or not. All the same even if your scenario is in fact what happened, it still would not be the recruiting class he would have put together had he had a whole year to work on it. So let's be fair here.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby EastStang » Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:33 am

And Cavan pretty much stopped recruiting in late November when his firing was announced. That makes it real hard to land top recruits. By November at least half of your recruiting class should be pretty well set. Bennett was given 5 years to right the ship, he has had three. If after 4 years we still stink and have shown little or no improvement, he won't be back for a 5th year. But no coach with any credibility will come here if there is even the slightest perception that Bennett was not given a chance to succeed here.
EastStang

Postby RGV Pony » Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:17 pm

Given that timetable, EastStang, looks like we've (that is, Bennett) have got/has got thirty days and change to get the '05 recruiting class more or less set. Anyone else concerned? Sooth my anxiety, someone.
RGV Pony

Postby EastStang » Thu Oct 28, 2004 3:10 pm

It kind of like getting a date to Homecoming. If you haven't sealed the deal well in advance with Miss Popular, you get left overs. Of course there are some decent left overs out there, but they are not the kind of players that will be ready for prime time.
EastStang

Re:

Postby PonySnob » Thu Oct 28, 2004 3:50 pm

EastStang wrote:It kind of like getting a date to Homecoming. If you haven't sealed the deal well in advance with Miss Popular, you get left overs. Of course there are some decent left overs out there, but they are not the kind of players that will be ready for prime time.

The problem is that the majority of our team is "left-overs". I don't think you can have a team where 85-95% of your two-deep roster are so called "diamonds in the rough". Is it just a coincidence that teams that get the majority of the National top 100 and State top 100 recruits seem to be having much more success than SMU? If I remember correctly from the lists that were in the DMN last Sunday, we are not even doing that weel with the Area Top 100 players.
PonySnob

Re: Hire [deleted] Tomey

Postby Pony Boss » Wed May 11, 2016 7:19 am

Dwan wrote:Given the state of our football program, I had to register and join this site. While I do not want to bash our current coach, I feel that the fact he has won three games in two and a half years and that our offenese and defense rank near dead last in the NCAA is reason enough to think that perhaps Bennett was not the man for the job. He is a good man and has brought in some nice players, but I just don;t think he is head coach material.

I think SMU has a huge chance to hire an amazing coach in [deleted] Tomey. He has had success as a head coach at both Hawaii and Arizona. His Arizona teams of the mid to late 90s were top 10-15 teams and some of the best in the history of the school. I think is 95 team went 12-1 and finished number 4 in the nation. At Arizona, he recruited well in Texas and is currently an assistant at UT. He wants to be a head coach again and was a finalist for the UTEP job. He has a spotless reputation with the NCAA and has always been a players coach. I think if we do bring in a new coach, which I think we should, his name should be at the top of our list

Hmm... 12 years doing a solid troll job.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby footballdad » Wed May 11, 2016 9:06 am

Pony Boss wrote:
Dwan wrote:Given the state of our football program, I had to register and join this site. While I do not want to bash our current coach, I feel that the fact he has won three games in two and a half years and that our offenese and defense rank near dead last in the NCAA is reason enough to think that perhaps Bennett was not the man for the job. He is a good man and has brought in some nice players, but I just don;t think he is head coach material.

I think SMU has a huge chance to hire an amazing coach in [deleted] Tomey. He has had success as a head coach at both Hawaii and Arizona. His Arizona teams of the mid to late 90s were top 10-15 teams and some of the best in the history of the school. I think is 95 team went 12-1 and finished number 4 in the nation. At Arizona, he recruited well in Texas and is currently an assistant at UT. He wants to be a head coach again and was a finalist for the UTEP job. He has a spotless reputation with the NCAA and has always been a players coach. I think if we do bring in a new coach, which I think we should, his name should be at the top of our list

Hmm... 12 years doing a solid troll job.

Looks like he was spot on about Bennett. Might want to pay attention, instead of criticize. :wink:
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony Boss » Wed May 11, 2016 10:05 am

Im starting to think you are the general
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Football