PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Charles has another stellar game

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Charles has another stellar game

Postby SMURecruiting » Sat Nov 03, 2001 10:34 pm

Ok, lets be realistic. A lot of people expected charles to run for 200 yards again. He didnt, but he did have 123 yards on the ground. That alone is amazing for a true freshmen. It was the rest of the team that didnt produce against Nevada. The coaching was horrendous as well....from the look of things, the blitz killed us.
SMURecruiting
Scout Team

Re: Charles has another stellar game

Postby Joyous » Mon Nov 05, 2001 12:59 pm

You would have to have been at the game to understand. Maybe. I was there and it still makes me quiver to think about it. Your quote "It was the REST of the team that did not deliver". Excuse me but what do you mean. If you want to say something about someone I suggest you start somewhere else - because apparently you "Don't know JACK!"
Joyous
Varsity

Postby PonyExpress » Mon Nov 05, 2001 1:52 pm

Wow - way to go Joyous! I wasn't there, so I didn't see what happened. But after reading about the heart the Ponies showed against UTEP (coming back from being down, 14-0), I can't imagine they quit.
PonyExpress
Junior Varsity

Postby SMURecruiting » Mon Nov 05, 2001 3:08 pm

Did I hit a soft spot Joyous, geez..calm down. Did I say anything about their effort in my post??? No, all I said was the rest of team didnt produce. It is a fact.The defense gave up tons of points and neither QB put up huge numbers. ShanD was THE ONLY bright spot of that game. LIKE I SAID, I DIDNT QUESTION THE EFFORT. Maybe you should read the post first and then attack.Good Job....
SMURecruiting
Scout Team

Postby PK » Mon Nov 05, 2001 3:30 pm

Joyous, you are right. Not only did ShanD do well, but so did Chris, J Hampton, J Freeman and most everyone else....we did after all have 325 total yards of offense. The defense held Nevada to 100yds less than their average per game yardage.

I can't blame the team for the outcome of the game. The team just executes the plays sent in by the coaches. If the plays aren't appropriate for the situation they aren't going to work. The three early scores for Nevada was a result of their blitzes causing the turnovers. I'm no coach so maybe I'm just talking up my sleeve, but most teams when faced with blitzes seem to make the other team pay for it. Not so much when it is an occasional surprise, but when it is the other teams total defensive strategy there just has to be a way to make them sorry they even thought about blitzing. It should have become obvious early on that Nevada was going to try to blitz forever. Why didn't we adjust better and sooner? We obviously need to work very [deleted] that, because after this game you can bet every team we face from now on knows we break under the heat of a blitz and will put us to the test.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMURecruiting » Mon Nov 05, 2001 3:46 pm

Of those that you listed, Shan D and Hampton are the only ones that had good games. Comet had a decent game with one good kick return. 49 receivign yards is decent .
J Freeman didnt touch the ball once during the game so obviously he didnt have a good game. The offense having 325 is barely decent at best. I admit to being wrong about the D, the didnt give up a whole lot of yardage, but allowing 35 points isnt good at all. So either way, the team didnt play well at all.....
SMURecruiting
Scout Team

Postby PK » Mon Nov 05, 2001 3:46 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SMURecruiting:
<B>It is a fact.The defense gave up tons of points and neither QB put up huge numbers.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just for the record, aside from the first quarter points which were for all practical purposes points made by Nevada's defense, our defense gave up 14 points....hardly a ton. Our defense also held Nevada to about three fourths of the amount of yardage they usually get. Our QB's didn't stand much of a chance for big numbers with Nevada's constant blitzing and our coaches not coming up with a way to deal with the blitzing.

Hey, I really like ShanD too, but he wasn't alone out there....someone else on the team produced the other 200 yards of offense. Also, the fact is both touchdowns were scored by our QB's running it in.

[This message has been edited by PK (edited 11-05-2001).]
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby PK » Mon Nov 05, 2001 3:57 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SMURecruiting:
<B>
J Freeman didnt touch the ball once during the game so obviously he didnt have a good game</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not to be a pain in the [deleted], but J Freeman was open on a number of plays and didn't touch the ball because the passes were over thrown thanks to the pressure of the blitzes. Hardly his fault...or a matter of not having a good game. If he was never able to get open or dropped balls left and right I would agree with you. That was not the case.

If you want to accuse someone of not having a good day, I would suggest you look in the direction of the coaches.
PK

Postby PerunaPunch » Mon Nov 05, 2001 4:54 pm

That's why away games HAVE to be on TV. Just can't get a good evaluation when you're hearing everything second hand.

BUT...

I was afraid our number was finally up. I was talking to PonyPride, Whatasteve and PonyPower on Friday. They assured me SMU was going to whip up on Nevada. But with all their injuries, you never know. Is this the 2-5 Wolf Pack that got creamed by Boise, or the team that beat LA Tech, Hawaii and lost to Rice by 3 in overtime?

I think Nevada fields an inconsistent team (like ours), but a team with some real talent -- talent which healed up in time to play the Mustangs.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby Joyous » Mon Nov 05, 2001 4:59 pm

PK - "The team just executes the plays sent in by the coaches. If the plays aren't appropriate for the situation they arent'going to work". You said a mouthful. And you might not be a coach (but neither am I) but to me what you say makes a great deal of sense. The last part of your last message says it all.

SMU Recruiting - No you did not "Hit a soft spot". You hit a sore spot. We desperately need some help and none of the players are included in that statement. You can call it what you want but I would call it something else.
Joyous
Varsity

Postby MustangFan » Mon Nov 05, 2001 5:10 pm

Peruna Punch -
You obviously need to go to more reliable sources for your predictions. Although it sounds cool to hang with PonyFans - maybe we can meet for lunch sometime?
MustangFan
All-American

Return to Football