PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Question for PonyFans

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Question for PonyFans

Postby Kiper » Sun Nov 04, 2001 9:49 pm

I'm new to the board, but I've been reading a lot of old posts .... why do so many PonyFans refer to that school in Waco as Baylor High?
Just curious - love the site!
Kiper
Junior Varsity

Re: Question for PonyFans

Postby smu'06 » Sun Nov 04, 2001 11:07 pm

Baylor "U" started out as Baylor High, way back in the day, then evolved into an "university." I use the term loosely.

But Baylor will forever be Baylor HIGH.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
University of South Carolina Student and Fan
SMU Fan and possible Law Student
smu'06
Junior Varsity

Postby click » Mon Nov 05, 2001 3:30 am

Baylor was never a high school.It was granted a charter in 1845 making it the oldest university in Texas.It started in Independence,Tx but later moved to Waco after a fire destroyed most of the school.The only remains of the school in Independence is an old chimney,the site is on the state register of historical sites.06 I don't know where you got your info.
click
Scout Team

Postby No Cal Pony » Mon Nov 05, 2001 6:54 am

Click has it right. Back when I was at SMU, we also referred to houston as "cougar high" too. Same with friends who, unfortunately for them, attended ut.
No Cal Pony
Varsity

Postby No Quarter » Mon Nov 05, 2001 9:12 am

Today we would say that the Baylor High and Cougar High labels are talking smack and the latter was started by students at Rice. The early Baylor, though rated a college or university, did have what today might be considered have HS and JC elements in that the enrollment, curriculum, and faculty were all very limited, especially during the Civil War, by today's standards (Baylor histories say as much).

But Greek was one of the subjects!

Baylor was started at Independence and stayed there until the death of its fourth President, Dr. William Carey Crane, in 1885, who for some reason liked the location in/near the swamps. Crane, TX and Crane County are named for Dr. Crane because of the influence he had on the lives of 19th century Texas and he used to be (perhaps is still) commemorated in the Baylor Library.

Dr. Crane is buried in the Texas State Cemetery in Austin, kind of over the hill from the SFA Memorial.

Go Ponies!
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby Pony Up » Mon Nov 05, 2001 1:57 pm

I always refer to it as Baylor High because I assume that's where folks go to get a GED. How many athletes does Baylor High feed to junior colleges every year? I always thought it was similar to Rice folks calling Houston Cougar High - a depiction of the school's academic prowess.
Proud to be a PonyFan
Pony Up
All-American

Return to Football