PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU is PERFECT

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU is PERFECT

Postby PonyFan » Mon Nov 05, 2001 2:40 pm

I know this is the football board, but it's also gets the most reads. Just wanted to let everyone know that SMU's #1-ranked men's soccer team finished the regular season with an undefeated, untied record of 16-0-0! Nothing short of PERFECTION. Congratulations to head coach Schellas Hyndman and his team full of All-America stars.

There will be a conference playoff game this Friday night at Westcott Field. When the opponent is announced, I'll be sure to post something here. For those of you who haven't been to a game - whether or not you are a lifelong soccer fan - these guys are well worth watching. See you at Westcott Friday night (details forthcoming).
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Re: SMU is PERFECT

Postby PK » Mon Nov 05, 2001 3:06 pm

Thanks PonyFan for the heads up.

Our "Perfect" soccer team is definitely a team we should <B>ALL</B> be very proud of....they have had an outstanding season. I'm betting on them winning out for the national championship!!!!!
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyFan » Tue Nov 06, 2001 12:41 pm

Our #1 Men's Soccer team plays Friday at 7:30 at Westcott Field against Vanderbilt -- which is not a bad team at all. Tickets are $5 for adults, $3 for kids (I think - call 214-SMU-GAME). This is a GREAT team we have and needs your support. Winner goes on to Missouri Valley Conference Tournament in St. Louis next week.
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Postby DiamondM » Tue Nov 06, 2001 4:54 pm

Why would we be playing Vanderbilt, an SEC team, as a conference playoff game?

I guess a better questions is why is Vandy a MVC school in soccer? Is it the case that the SEC does not have enough men's soccer teams for a league? I am very confused.

[This message has been edited by DiamondM (edited 11-06-2001).]
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Nov 06, 2001 9:54 pm

not many SEC schools field men's soccer teams, basically because of Title IX. South Carolina is one of the few that soes, but to balance that they have a number of obscure women's sports. They're women's equestrian team won the national championship a couple of years ago. Can't tell you how many schools compete in that sport.
Charleston Pony

Postby Mickey » Tue Nov 06, 2001 10:25 pm

This is a football board. There is another Message Board for Other Sports. If you are going to publicize the Men's Soccer team, what about Women's Soccer which starts the WAC Tourney this week at Wescott? For that matter, why even have a board called "Other Sports" if we are going to have all sports on the Football Board because it is the most popular?

I don't see how you can promote the Men and not the Women. And if you promote all sports, then you should use the Other Sports Board.

[This message has been edited by Mickey (edited 11-06-2001).]
Mickey
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Nov 06, 2001 10:33 pm

oops. our mistake. didn't know this part of the board was reserved only for american football. after all, we were talking about european football...you know, the kind of football SMU can play as well as anyone in the country!
Charleston Pony

Postby Mickey » Tue Nov 06, 2001 10:49 pm

That wasn't my point. I was pointing out that the Women's Soccer team wasn't mentioned and they start the conference tourney at Wescott this week as well. And if we are going to promote M and W Soccer on this Board, then what about the rest of the sports? And if we promote all sports on this board then why have one for Other Sports. The Other Sports Board has posts back to last Nov still listed , so it can't be over utilized. So CP quit being a smart [deleted], I was merely pointing out that we didn't mention the Women's Soccer Tourney. They deserve our support as well. Do you have something against Women's European Football?
Mickey
All-American

Postby PonyFan » Wed Nov 07, 2001 12:00 am

Mickey's right - I should be pumping the women's team too. They've played really well this year, and also deserve our support. I'll be at each of their WAC games this week, however many that is, and I hope all the PonyFans will be there too.

As for pumping the soccer teams on this board - you're right, there is another board for that. but I also realize football gets the most page views, and I think the soccer teams are so good this year ... and the men are so close to a national championship run ... that they deserve any attention they can get. I won't make a habit of mentioning them here. Just hope everyone supports them, because they (BOTH teams) are great and should do well in the postseason.
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Return to Football