PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Red Under Shirt

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Red Under Shirt

Postby jettison » Mon Nov 05, 2001 7:00 pm

Just over two years ago, when I entered into SMU ponyfandom, there were a number of true freshman getting lots of playing time (and rightfully so). There were also many of them not getting playing time that did not get redshirted. I'm rather close to one of those... and our head coach has admitted to wasting that year.

Unfortunately, I see that happening again this year on offense. Charles has proven he is ready. But players like Griffin and Taylor, although FULL of potential, seem to be having one of those years where a year of their eligibility, promise and talent is being wasted - they keep getting thrown in a couple plays a game, making them ineligible to be redshirted. It's not a knock on them as players, it's a question as to what's the point of this decision? We've heard "SMU can't afford to reshirt like other schools," and that's fine, but if they are not being given the chance to contribute, why take that year away from them, especially in a disastrous season.

Now, look at your current depth chart. There is one player on the defensive side this year that is a true freshman (Nnabuife) and he is listed as #3 in his position, and quite a few players who have been redshirted, either last year or before, and that year has helped them tremendously (aka Rutledge). Experience is great, but that extra year of college life introduction, weight lifting, and just getting acquainted with coaches, the system, etc... is extra sweet. I think our defensive system is a much better model to follow, and probably a good reason why they are in the top 20 in the country.

Our offensive depth chart is more like its respective play calling each game - no apparent direction and a rejection to the fact that it DOES NOT WORK. The revolving door and 'run-off' of QBs, RBs, etc, in my opinion, is a sure fire indication that a player that doesn't get that pressure free year to develop and mature is much more vulnerable to being replaced down the line.

[This message has been edited by jettison (edited 11-05-2001).]
jettison
Junior Varsity

Re: Red Under Shirt

Postby PK » Mon Nov 05, 2001 8:08 pm

You've got a lot of good observations and points there jettison. It also allows the team to suddenly be a very young team again when you need an excuse.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Football