PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Oh my goodness...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Oh my goodness...

Postby JasonB » Tue Nov 06, 2001 2:33 pm

Okay, I have been one to say that Cavan should stay because his recruits coming in next year look very good. I believe that most of the problems with the team involve play selection (offensive coordinator). I support running the damn ball, And I know that Cavan does, but the Offensive coordinator doesn't get it.

Anyway, today I ran across this beuty of a quote from Cavan from the weekly press conference:

"Obviously, we don't have to have a lot of motivation to get ready for this game."

Oh my god, that is all I have to say. That is just not the right thing for a coach to say. I have been a Cavan backer and have tried to look on the bright side with him, but damn, that is an awful quote.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Oh my goodness...

Postby jettison » Tue Nov 06, 2001 2:50 pm

I think he means they should ALREADY be pumped up about playing a good team, without the need for any additional motivation.

The quotes from the weekly press conference are about as pointless as it gets, because none of the questions are referenced (so the context is lost) and it's the same cliches every week.
jettison
Junior Varsity

Postby PK » Tue Nov 06, 2001 3:06 pm

jettison is probably right in saying what the coach meant to say, however, I will never forget Cavan's quote from one of the luncheon meetings they use to have before the home games...."It isn't my (Cavan's) job to get the team up for a game...they need to do that themselves." Yep, that's what we pay the big bucks for. If a coach does nothing else, he damn better be getting the team up for the game. And BTW, you don't do that by yelling at them and telling them what a lousy job they're doing.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DiamondM » Tue Nov 06, 2001 4:52 pm

My other favorite quote was after Charles' second 200+ rushing game and instead of pumping up his own player, he says something to the effect of "It's not like it's against Texas or A&M or someone like that."

Great way to encourage you players.
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby SMUguy » Tue Nov 06, 2001 5:13 pm

I agree - I don't like that quote at all. Sounds like he's already making excuses for a loss.

And what about his offering in today's DMN? Did y'all see that? Something about SMU being overconfident, looking past Nevada to Fresno? WHat kind of coach allows a 2-5 team to be overconfident against ANYBODY?
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Return to Football