PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Marketing, Scheduling and Winning

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Marketing, Scheduling and Winning

Postby PerunaPunch » Thu Nov 08, 2001 12:13 pm

"Attendance is a combination of things here," Copeland said. "Marketing, schedule, as well as winning. Winning is the key. Even though I'm disappointed, I think it's something that unfortunately we had to anticipate if we didn't win."

Turner said SMU is changing its philosophy regarding the scheduling of nonconference home opponents to include games that would draw better. Next year, SMU opens the season against Navy and after two games on the road, returns to Ford Stadium to play Oklahoma State. In addition, SMU is discussing playing Texas Tech next season at Ford Stadium.

Well, well, well. It seems as though there's some quality leadership on the Hilltop after all. Good to see that Turner and Copeland are coming to grips with the same frustrations we all feel.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Re: Marketing, Scheduling and Winning

Postby PonyGirl » Thu Nov 08, 2001 2:00 pm

It's about time, don't you think? Winning fewer and fewer games each year is unacceptable. At Cavan's current pace, we're facing 2-9 this year, 1-10 next year and a winless year in 2003. UNACCEPTABLE!

I feel bad for Rick Alonzo (DMN beat writer). It's his first year covering SMU, and I'm sure it's uncomfortable for him to ask Cavan "think you're gonna get fired?" I don't know Cavan, so I have no idea how he'd react (other than "declining comment" as he did in today's paper), but it can't be a fun part of his job. But then again, with the record what it is, and with Cavan's "obviously we have no motivation to get up for this (Fresno) game" comment the other day, what else is there to talk about? Cavan's future is the biggest issue with the team right now. We're not going to a bowl game, and we're not going to win the WAC. But his future will affect recruiting and the direction the program the program goes in. With the commitments we have so far, I almost hope he stays. They sound like they're going to be terrific players, if SMURecruiting and Recruiting Guru know as much as I hear they do.
PonyGirl
Varsity

Postby PK » Thu Nov 08, 2001 3:40 pm

PonyGirl, like you, I believe Cavan is not the right coach for us and I have had that opinion for several years now, but in all fairness I must point out that you have miss quoted Cavan. His actual quote was...
"Obviously, we don't have to have a lot of motivation to get ready for this game." As was pointed out by another poster recently, what he meant by that is that we don't need a lot of <B>additional</B> motivation...the fact that Fresno is <B>the team</B> to beat is the motivation. Not that I agree totally with that assessment, but all the same that was his actual quote.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyGirl » Thu Nov 08, 2001 4:05 pm

My mistake. Thanks PK
PonyGirl
Varsity

Postby planoponyfan » Sat Nov 10, 2001 3:25 pm

"Next year, SMU opens the season against Navy and after two games on the road, returns to Ford Stadium to play Oklahoma State. In addition, SMU is discussing playing Texas Tech next season at Ford Stadium."

I am so glad to see some movement on this issue. SMU must start scheduling games against some of the bigger non-conference teams in the region in order to improve it's standing in the Dallas area. I would love to see Tech, A&M, and UT on the schedule over the next few years. It's that kind of caliber of school that will ultimately help us get better recruits and better attendance.

Hopefully this kind of thing will improve the visibility of the program in the community too. (a good TV contract with a local station wouldn't hurt either)
planoponyfan
Varsity

Postby PK » Sun Nov 11, 2001 3:22 pm

I agree with you planoponyfan, but don't hold your breath on seeing UT or A&M in Ford Stadium. First of all, UT has much too big an ego to be seen playing little ole SMU. Besides, their fans in the Dallas area get to see their team every year in Dallas at the OU game so they aren't too concerned about providing a second opportunity. A&M on the other hand doesn't get many chances for their Dallas area fans to see them here, but they would more likely play TCU than SMU because we have on too many occasions scared the hell out of them....even at Kyle Field.

Having said that, Texas Tech is a great possibility. They have a ton of fans in the area who would love to see them play live and in person and unless they get into the Cotton Bowl they don't have too many options.... which may be why they have played North Texas as many times as they have. Oklahoma State is a good one to get in the mix and I would love to see Arkansas back on our schedule....they have great fans who in the past travel well. Even the Carolina teams were good, but not both in the same year.

I'm glad we are still playing TCU, but really wish we could get back into the same conference with them again...that would free up an out of conference game spot for some other teams to give us more exposure. Anyway, we need to improve the level of our play and then more opportunities to get better teams in here will happen.

[This message has been edited by PK (edited 11-11-2001).]
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony4Life » Sun Nov 11, 2001 4:03 pm

I'm afraid PK is right - UT and A&M have nothing to gain by playing us, and therefore won't do it. Say they were to come up here to Ford Stadium, and ShanD Charles has the best game of his already promising career, KG and Jonas each return an interception for a touchdown, Vic Viloria knocks a couple of RBs and QBs out of the game -- and SMU pulls a huge upset. The Aggies/Longhorns would be humiliated in front of a crowd the same size of what they get at their spring games. And if they come up here and whip SMU, what have they accomplished? They were SUPPOSED to do that, since they are the big state schools of Texas with all the money and numbers behind them. They already recruit well up here. They would gain nothing by playing SMU.

Hell, they're even scared to play us in hoops, which I think is funny. Coach Dement has tried for years to start a series with UT, but Rick Barnes (and Penders before him) want nothing to do with that. They seem to think they can play basketball at UT, but they know SMU has been good enough to play with them in recent years. They wouldn't touch that game, here or in Austin. Would love to see SMU face UT in the NCAA Tournament - except, of course, for the fact that I hope UT never makes the Tournament. Maybe in a preseason NIT or something. UT is scared of SMU.
Fountain of youth
Giver of truth
Six parts gin
One part vermouth
Pony4Life
Heisman

Return to Football