PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Observations

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby Hoop Fan » Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:37 pm

Speaking of young players, I worry about why we dont see more of Avery Cleveland and Zack Hall at linebacker. Seems like they got a chance at Fresno and then this weeks solution was to move Alvin Nabuife up from safety. I know those guys are young, but it concerns me that they cant crack the lineup. Wilton McCray is even younger than they are. Next year, I wonder if we should consider moving Cory Muse back to linebacker. And Eckert did a good job yesterday, but Phillips is our future, can't wait to get him back.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Corso » Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:54 pm

I think because of speed, Zach Hall needs to be in the middle. But I agree, I'd like to see more of Avery Cleveland. I realize he's only a redshirt freshman, of course. Hopefully we'll see a little from him next week and at UTEP, then a lot next year. Nnabuife was brought up because he brings a combination of speed, sure tackling (much needed!) and experience, albeit not at theat position. He played pretty darn well yesterday, I thought.

I vote against moving Muse back to LB - we desperately need his speed and athleticism and strength at DE. Am I right that the sacks we got from Justin Rogers yesterday were the first all year from the DEs? With Melvin Williams graduating, we'll be even thinner at the position - keep Muse there.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Re: Observations

Postby PonySnob » Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:05 pm

Mustangs35SMU wrote:I think we have just found our next Kincade! Great job Cedrick!!

I still have hope that Richeul Massey will step up in the spring and claim the starting HB spot. For all the hype that he got when he came here, I would like to see his ability out on the field for a couple of years. As it stands right now, he appears to be lost among our RB's. Given the talent he showed in high school, I have a hard time believing that Fred Turner is our best option after Dorsey - but that might mean that Richeul just isn't what was advertised.
PonySnob

Postby Stallion » Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:11 pm

Don't forget about DeMyron Martin and Henderson-my money is on Martin although Dorsey seems to get better and better.
Stallion

Postby Corso » Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:07 pm

I think you're right, Stallion - the people I've talked to tell me that both Martin AND Henderson are tearing it up in practice. They both should contribute significantly next year. Whether they take the starting gig away from Dorsey .... we'll find out in August.

Can't have too many talented runners, though.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:39 pm

yes, it's nice to see people talking about competition at the RB position. It's good to hear about competition at every position, for that matter. I think we will see more of that this spring as Bennett continues to build depth. Remember, we lose very few seniors and some of those 2nd and 3rd year guys who have been relegated to scout teamers may decide to transfer. Just keep winning and bringing in stronger recruiting classes that address position needs year after year. That's one area where I think Bennett is doing a good job.
Charleston Pony

Re:

Postby PonySnob » Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:48 pm

Corso wrote:I think you're right, Stallion - the people I've talked to tell me that both Martin AND Henderson are tearing it up in practice.

Not sure that "tearing it up in practice" really means a whole lot with this team. We heard last year how Massey and Munlin were "tearing it up in practice" and so far, neither has exactly been a consistent performer in real games.
PonySnob

Postby 04stang » Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:05 pm

you have got to be kidding me!!!!!!!!!!!! eckert is below avrerage quarterback, the kid has done exceptionally well this year given the deal hes handed with, young o-line, young recievers, etc... and hes a below avg quarterback??? whats that make phillips with his 0 and 8 record as a starter, the future of the mustangs??? hahahahaha!!!!!!! all of you have about as much knowledge of football as a seven year old, hell, you cant even spell the starting quarterbacks name right. ECKERT is having a hell of a year and he will be even better next year. he has the quickest release i have seen for a college quarterback since marino, and although he doesnt have very much speed, is he still successfull??? YOU DAMN RIGHT HE IS. i am very proud of tony eckert and we are lucky to have him here. KEEP THROWIN ECKERT!!!!!!

we lose a game, you guys write how bad we are...
we win a game, you knock the players of how below avg they are...
what do the players have to do to make you people on this site happy????
Mustangs will win in 04
04stang
Recruit

Previous

Return to Football