PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Observations

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Observations

Postby davidsmu94 » Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:14 pm

Ekert- Played well, but is a below average QB at best, not a playmaker
Romo- Should consider just moving him to Wideout next year. About as good a passing threat at Mike Romo is right now
Munlin- Hard worker, but lacks breakaway speed and any big play ability
Dorsey- Clearly the best RB on the team right now, should be getting the majority of the touches
Brown- See Munlin
Cleveland, Pellerin- Young, but lots of upside
Kennedy, Chase- Gritty, can play for me any day
O-Line- played well, too soft, not big or nasty enough
D-Line- Jones is getting better, will Bonds follow? Adami, I feel bad we arent' better for him
Defensive ends- future looks bright
Linebackers- Undersized, and very below average, poor instincts
Corners- bad
Safties- really bad
davidsmu94
Heisman

Postby PerunaPunch » Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:51 pm

the corners got suckered a few times, but I thought Ro Humphrey played great.
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby davidsmu94 » Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:53 pm

Oh and another thing. Turner is to good not to be on the field more
davidsmu94
Heisman

Postby Diehard Pony » Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:32 am

Almost didn't go today for the first time in many years. I'm glad I did as it was a very entertaining game, and I happy for the players who seemed to really enjoy the win.

With that said, for whatever little my vote counts, I would still like to see a lot more improvement from this coaching staff.

Want to finish on a positive note. Congratulations Mustangs!
Diehard Pony
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:58 am

one very big observation: winning sure is a lot more fun than losing. Congrats to the Mustangs. All their hard work is finally rewarded. Keep it up, guys!
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby RGV Pony » Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:22 am

I left this game with a decidedly different taste in my mouth compared to the last game I attended (TCU). I think the players all grew up a bit. That said, I think the coaching showed some improvement also. Adami's pick was because he knew it was coming...several times, the corners 'jumped' routes (usually outs) because they knew they were coming. More than once, Tulsa showed they had planned well & tried fb or other runs up the middle, which the Ponies stuffed more frequently.

The lack of a sideline warning was crap.

We can all say what we want about the decision to go for two, but as Rich Phillips correctly pointed out, had SMU kicked the PAT, Tulsa would've gone for it on 4th & short rather than kicked the FG that was blocked...and I suspect that would've gotten it on 4th & short.

Regarding the attendance, my section was full. :o) I've been to other games where my section & those around looked less full & the attendance was more than 12k.

Let's hope we build on this one.
RGV Pony

Re:

Postby DallasDiehard » Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:37 am

davidsmu94 wrote:Oh and another thing. Turner is to good not to be on the field more

Fred or Bryan?
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Re:

Postby PonySnob » Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:52 am

[quote="RGV Pony"]Regarding the attendance, my section was full. :o) I've been to other games where my section & those around looked less full & the attendance was more than 12k.quote]

There were a lot of fans who never left the Boulevard to come into the stadium yesterday in addition to those that went back to the 'vard at haltime and never came back in. In the second half, there could not have been more than 8-9K in the stadium. As usual, the student turnout was dismall. Thank goodness for that rent-a-fan game against Tech this year.
PonySnob

Re: Observations

Postby DallasDiehard » Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:59 am

davidsmu94 wrote:Ekert- Played well, but is a below average QB at best, not a playmaker
Romo- Should consider just moving him to Wideout next year. About as good a passing threat at Mike Romo is right now
Munlin- Hard worker, but lacks breakaway speed and any big play ability
Dorsey- Clearly the best RB on the team right now, should be getting the majority of the touches
Brown- See Munlin
Cleveland, Pellerin- Young, but lots of upside
Kennedy, Chase- Gritty, can play for me any day
O-Line- played well, too soft, not big or nasty enough
D-Line- Jones is getting better, will Bonds follow? Adami, I feel bad we arent' better for him
Defensive ends- future looks bright
Linebackers- Undersized, and very below average, poor instincts
Corners- bad
Safties- really bad

--> I disagree about Eckert -- I think he's going to be fine. This is the first year anyone on the team has played in this offense. And no way Romo moves to WR.

--> I agree Foy is a pounder who lacks breakaway speed. Playing with the cast on his hand is tough - it limits his blocking, alters the way(s) he can hold the ball and nearly eliminates him as a pass-receiving option. Dorsey looked better than he has (spring ball should be interesting - when I've been to practice, DeMyron Martin and Jessie Henderson have looked really good).

--> Jay'Mond Cleveland can NOT drop that underneath route in the second half (fourth quarter?) He might well have gone 60-plus for a score with that. Pellerin might just be VERY good. And yes, Bobby Chase and Ryan Kennedy are studs. I'd like to see balls keep going their way (especially toward Kennedy) until someone shows they can tackle them.

--> I thought the offensive line played pretty well. Not big enough running holes, but overall played pretty well. On that long Dorsey run (where he stepped out at the 8), Justin Boren hit a Tulsa defender so hard I feared for the kid's life to open that huge hole. You might have something with the "soft" statement, but that nastiness is something that comes with experience and confidence. Boren and Caleb Peveto played very well. Kieschnick, Urbanus and Poynter were OK, except for one "whiff" by Urbanus where a Tulsa LB ran through his block and made an open-field tackle in the backfield - that can not happen.

--> Defensive line played its best game in Coach Bennett's tenure. By far.

--> Linebackers: yes, they're undersized. Alvin Nnabuife played a terrific game, considering it was his first game at LB. Rico Harris and Wilton McCray were OK, but need to be better. I was hoping to see more of Avery Cleveland.

--> Humphrey played pretty well, but two of those pass breakups could have been TD interceptions. He needs to make those picks. Akinyemi had a braincramp when he busted a coverage and left a WR all alone on the right sideline, but also made some nice open-field tackles. OK performance, but we need to get better there. Surprised we didn't see more of Jonathan Lindley and Brandon Jones.

--> Safeties need to be faster getting to receivers in 2-deep coverage. Harper's INT was a game-saver, obviously.

--> Kicker: Chris McMurtray hit that 47-yarder with PLENTY of room to spare. That might have been good from 57. Still has missed just one FG this year - he's a real weapon.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:07 am

I agree about Lindley. I am sooooooooo sick of seeing Akinyemi getting turned around, looking lost, chasing behind his man, not looking back for the ball, and missing tackles. Enough already! Get Lindley in there!
ALEX LIFESON

Re:

Postby Dooby » Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:27 am

PonySnob wrote:
RGV Pony wrote:Regarding the attendance, my section was full. :o) I've been to other games where my section & those around looked less full & the attendance was more than 12k.quote]

There were a lot of fans who never left the Boulevard to come into the stadium yesterday in addition to those that went back to the 'vard at haltime and never came back in. In the second half, there could not have been more than 8-9K in the stadium. As usual, the student turnout was dismall. Thank goodness for that rent-a-fan game against Tech this year.

The "student-less" section is pathetic.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby davidsmu94 » Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:22 pm

DDH- Fred Turner
davidsmu94
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:26 pm

I really don’t understand why Lindley is not playing. I would like to hear Bennett's reason for keeping him off the field.
LA_Mustang

Postby DallasDiehard » Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:43 pm

Well, after the last home game, he did say that he was being very cautious, putting Lindley in situations he's ready for, and being careful not to throw him in the deep end too soon.

I don't know - I'm 50-50 on this.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Re: Observations

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:44 pm

davidsmu94 wrote:Dorsey- Clearly the best RB on the team right now, should be getting the majority of the touches

I think we have just found our next Kincade! Great job Cedrick!!
Mustangs35SMU

Next

Return to Football