PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Coach has a Problem

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Coach has a Problem

Postby Wanttoknow » Thu Nov 08, 2001 6:44 pm

I believe that when a Player speaks out about how he feels about a game he gets in the Dog HOuse. There will be very good players not playing this week. What is the reason? I thought it was important to win games. It is not the players fault if they can see more than the coach or especially the OC. SMU has about 5 plays and that's it. They practice all this stuff all week and then the game comes and you see the same old stuff. (really want to say something else). Why is Chandler not playing. He's not hurt. Did his speaking up hurt him. What about Shevreport. A player asked Cavan "What is this S_ _ _ _?" And "Poof" he was gone. Something seriously needs to be done about Cavan.
Wanttoknow

Re: Coach has a Problem

Postby PerunaPunch » Thu Nov 08, 2001 7:23 pm

That's pathetic!

Certainly, there's a loyalty issue (like when former pledges turn on you when you're no longer needed to buy beer or instruct them in the fine art of skirt chasing... not to mention any names Whata_____), and the team SHOULD stick together as a team. But let's face it, in this case the team doesn't owe Cavan any loyalty -- he's let them down too many times.

I've been singularly impressed by the way this Mustang team continues to fight regardless of what the numbskulls with the clipboards are doing. They're certainly not taking a knee.

Cavan and Kueck keep talking about the "system", and how the players need to buy into it. Gimme a break. They've tried. They're committed. It's the system that's flawed!

Put the best players on the field! This is SMU's team, not Mike Cavan's ego trip. Play the guys who have worked hard to become starters.

It would be one thing if it was a disciplinary issue. But I have nothing but respect for a kid who stands up and says, "we have to fix this problem to win." That's a winner's attitude and an attribute that our coaching staff seems to be sorely missing!
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby Joyous » Thu Nov 08, 2001 7:51 pm

Dang PerunaPunch - I LIKE YOU!!!!!!!!!
Joyous
Varsity

Postby PK » Thu Nov 08, 2001 8:05 pm

Yeah, he's pretty good for a greaseaholic. So what's happening at First & 10 these days PerunaPunch?
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PerunaPunch » Fri Nov 09, 2001 6:48 pm

Joyous,

The feeling is certainly mutual -- we all can definitely see where the Comet got his indefatigable attitude from. And just so you know, #21 is Mrs. Punch's favorite Mustang. So here's hoping he has another great game tomorrow! And if you guys are coming up to Dallas, please have a safe trip.

PK,

I've decided to make a comeback (this'll be something like comeback #47, I think). Have been hitting the gym daily (rather than monthly) in an effort to drop from 250-ish to a svelte 225. So, unfortunately I'm having to avoid Whatasteve and First Ten -- at least for awhile.

Once I get back into some semblance of shape, why don't you join Whatasteve & I for a celebratory round of Criscos?
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby whatasteve » Fri Nov 09, 2001 7:23 pm

This is too easy, but I can't resist.

- Joyous, you can't keep saying these nice things to PerunaPunch. His ego already is careening wildly out of control, and for someone as thoughtful as you, who clearly loves SMU and football (and of course Comet) as much as you do to say such things as the fact that you like him will only lead to more vocal bragging from our man PP about every subject known to man. Whenever someone challenges him, he'll respond with some long-winded diatribe about how "Joyous likes me, so of course I'm right." He's going to become more unbearable than before.

- And to you, mr. Punch .... I recall precious little in the way of advice in the fine art of "shirt-chasing" (as you so eloquently put it -- I'm sure the lovely Mrs. Punch would love your phrase) from you when I was a mere freshman - you were not exactly generous with your advice to this scrawny (back then), naive freshmanPony in the science/art of pursuing women. You were always so busy making sure everyone knew that the future Mrs. Punch was with you that you never had time to share with us youngsters the secrets of the hunt. Little did we know that the future Mrs. Punch had spent the previous dozen years in a convent, meaning she hadn't had contact with any men and had rarely seen daylight. So your ploy of stalking the exits of the convent, catching her while she was blinded by the sun and then plying her with a $3.98 box of bad wine is not something that can be used to tout yourself as a romantic expert. It's been pointed out before that the lovely Mrs. Punch is way too good for you, and that if you ever allow her to sober up, she'll realize how much she settled. My advice: keep multiple boxes of wine on hand at all times. Don't let her get away.

- PK, you couldn't be more right -- PerunaPunch is a greasaholic of the first degree. You should have seen him at lunch today, slurping the grease of his paws after inhaling a burger (of course) and fries. You'd have thought he hadn't eaten in years, and I was fearful he might enjoy that grease so much he'd read back and gargle the stuff. The man is not the burger expert I am (and I'm sure you are). And don't let him fool you with the "hitting the gym daily" routine. The only gym PP hits daily is the one who's last name is Beam - know what I'm saying?
whatasteve
Junior Varsity

Postby Jim Rome » Fri Nov 09, 2001 7:48 pm

Hey Wanttoknow - can you give a little insight on who said what, which players aren't playing because of personality conflicts, etc? I'd heard Chandler was nursing a nagging injury - you're saying that's not true? We're not winning enough to throw players in the doghouse just to make an example of them.

Winning seems to be the first priority of the fans, players, Copeland, Turner - see someone missing from that list?
I'm a Pony, and I'm a PonyFan!
Jim Rome
Junior Varsity

Postby PerunaPunch » Sat Nov 10, 2001 1:22 pm

Whatasteve,

I now see my that my best intentions for you were obviously a waste of effort.

As an elder in the fine fraternity to which we both belong, I felt it my duty to instruct you snot-nosed pledges on the fine art of SKIRT-chasing. But I can see from your latest post, that my efforts on your behalf were completely in vain.

Little did I know that you would come out of the closet and become a practitioner of what you refer to as 'SHIRT-chasing'. I know that this is the new millennium, and that I should be more open minded about such things. But I'm just an old fashioned guy at heart.

But now that you're 'out', so to speak, please give us your burger rating of Hunky's (on Cedar Springs).

Also, just to uphold the honor of my poor long-suffering wife -- it wasn't box wine, it was Jack Daniels and chocolate chip cookie dough. She's way too classy to drink wine out of a box. In fact, she has more class than all 7 of Whatasteve's undergraduate years at SMU.

Finally, to set the record straight, I didn't have a burger yesterday. I had a fried shrimp po-boy. But I guess that doesn't really help my defense in your greasoholic allegation, so I'll have to concede that one small point to you.
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby PerunaPunch » Sat Nov 10, 2001 1:28 pm

Wanttoknow and all,

I'd like to apologize for derailing this obviously important thread.

I know you guys don't really care about my cholesterol level or Whatasteve's crossdressing, so please pardon this vulgar departure from football.

And I concur with Mr. Rome, please provide more details if you can Wanttoknow.
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby PK » Sun Nov 11, 2001 3:36 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PerunaPunch:
<B>Once I get back into some semblance of shape, why don't you join Whatasteve & I for a celebratory round of Criscos?</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How long will this take (getting back in shape that is)....will I still be alive by that point in time??? I've been trying to do the same thing for quite a while now and a slug moves faster than the weight coming off of my body. Sounds like fun though...so whenever the spirit moves you hollar!
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Football