PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

HOMECOMING: SUGGESTIONS FOR NEXT YEAR

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

HOMECOMING: SUGGESTIONS FOR NEXT YEAR

Postby Lamont_Cranston » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:13 pm

I will echo the suggestion made earlier on this board: have the Homecoming Court presented at half-time but name the King & Queen at the END OF THE GAME! Hopefully that will ensure the students remaining in their seats to find out who won!

Whatever happened to an athletes' "Hall of Fame" induction ceremony and "Distinguished Alumni" induction ceremony...or is that just too bush league now for S.M.U.?

These ceremonies could take place at half-time for the enjoyment and nostalgia of the 'older alumni' and the Homecoming court crowning would be held after the game to keep the students' interest.

I was so disappointed in the students who left after the half-time ceremony this past Saturday. They missed a great game.

I guess we have to remember that a lot of our fans are 'country clubbers'. They leave early whether we're winning or losing and really could care less about the game itself or its outcome. They're the same folks who leave church services early so they can get in line first at the Dallas Country Club. :roll:
Last edited by Lamont_Cranston on Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"37"
Lamont_Cranston
Junior Varsity

Postby PonySnob » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:16 pm

It might also help to have Homecoming towards the start of the season for attendance reasons.
PonySnob
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:17 pm

I go to the games for Football not the Homecoming Coranation. I guarantee you if it is held after the game the only people there would be a bunch of sorority girls, the Court and family members.
Stallion

Postby Lamont_Cranston » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:24 pm

Exactly my point, Stallion. The true football fans - like you and me and many others on this board - will be there for the entire game. The sorority girls, their friends and family will have to sit thru the game, too, because they'll have to have a ticket to get in to see who won the silly coronation!
"37"
Lamont_Cranston
Junior Varsity

Postby BrianTinBigD » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:40 pm

Perhaps a concert or someting at the end. I was annoyed with the 2pm start since I had a baseball game to coach and me and my son were forced to listen to The Ticket for the remainder of the game once his game was over.

Why SMU cannot induct 1 or 2 players into the SMU Hall of Fame every year for Homecoming is beyond me. We wonder why the Pony Express is taking shots at us, yet when do we recognize former greatness. We should embrace those great players, and other greats as well and make them welcome. I for one would love to see Meredith, Hixson, and McIlhenny on the field at Halftime. Maybe a Leach, Levias, Morris trio. It can't be that tough if I was able to pull it out of my a*s this quickly.

Also, we don't just have to concentrate on just the football team. We can highlight other sports and even non-athletic greatness. We could even wheel Kathy Bates onto the field in a hot tub. Though that is likely to impact attendance in a negative way.
Class of '91
BrianTinBigD
Heisman

Postby Bergermeister » Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:07 pm

Some plausible ideas that oughta be discussed. I do believe that an effort should be made to welcome former players and they should reciprocate by making every effort to participate or attend special recognition programs and football games, in general. Realizing that not all can show up at the drop of a hat, they can "embrace" SMU by joining the Mustang Club, M Association, participate in golf tourneys and fundraisers (as much as their $$ allow). I'm not a big fan of the Hall of Fame deal or retiring jersey numbers. I think it is more of an honor to see that jersey still in the mix of Mustang Football. (kinda like cowboyz ring of honor... names and numbers but no retired jerseys) Like you mentioned... honor the QBs one season, running backs another, linemen, D linemen, LBs, kickers and punters... or go by decades... whatever you do, make it a big deal... not a 1 minute, betwee-quarters footnote in the corner of the end zone. Homecoming will pick up when we have 4 or 5 wins heading into homecoming week. Still need the high school bands there, scouts and FCA and Methodist Youth Fellowship, Parents Weekend, etc. I'm sure Jim Copeland and Phil Bennett have made an effort to include former players. I guess we need a continued effort.
Bergermeister

Postby EastStang » Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:09 pm

You know that scene from that l$%&*%ing movie scarred me for life.
EastStang

Return to Football