PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Position changes?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Position changes?

Postby DallasDiehard » Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:01 am

Does anyone foresee any position changes between now and next season?

I wouldn't be completely shocked to see a lineman or two switch sides of the ball, although I can't guess who that might be.

And I've always thought Andrew McKinney might make a fearsome DE if he can add another 20 pounds without losing quickness, but I realize that might be a pipedream.

Anyone hearing anything?
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby DallasDiehard » Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:37 am

And I hope Fred Turner's not getting discouraged by moving from DB to RB to WR to RB. He's a terrific athlete with great speed, and I hope he settles into a role where he can utilize his great quickness and athleticism.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby Hilltopper » Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:17 pm

Will Alvin Nnabuife move back to safety? Or will he stay at linebacker?
Hilltopper
All-American

Postby SCAMP6381 » Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:26 pm

Fred Turner not disappointed always wanted to be RB. More disappointed at defense than anything.Fred really wants to prove himself at RB. I think he can handle the RB position alone or in a shared combination ,but RB is his natural position. He'll be a good one the kid has a heart for RB position :!: :D Keep an eye on him ,he's a RB to be reckoned with, he's a team player also and hates like hell to lose.He is going to be a difference maker at SMU :D
GO MUSTANGS FIGHT ON TO VICTORY !!!!!!
SCAMP6381
Junior Varsity

Postby PonyTales » Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:51 pm

That's great to hear! I hope Turner gets a chance to show his stuff.

I heard Kendall Mouton saw some practice time at OL - is he going to play offense or defense next year?
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby SCAMP6381 » Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:29 pm

I've seen Mouton on off. line same tenacity as on def. line. I myself would love to see the aggresion on def. line. SPEED AND SIZE WITH DES JONES WOULD MAKE AWESOME DEF LINE. Told him before enrolling at SMU DES and Allan Adami was his competition to get playing time,THEN SICKNESS BEFELL HIM. I think he would have gotten playing time.Off. or Def. dose not matter to him,I heard him say off. was boring all you have to do is get in someones way but he also said it was fine if that's what coach wanted.He is a team player loved by many of his teammates and respected on the field.I hope to see him on Def. but,like Kendall it's what coach needs him to do :!: I was told by Allan A. at the UTEP game he was going back on def. line also Coach Sawyer said he was still assigned to def. coaches only practicing with scout team on off. line.It really depends on Coach Bennett, but if i was coach i'd have that guy on DEFENSE :!: :D
GO MUSTANGS FIGHT ON TO VICTORY !!!!!!
SCAMP6381
Junior Varsity

Postby WildHorse » Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:42 pm

I think Coach Sawyer did a heck of a job with the DTs this year. Started a little slow, but several of them - Adami, Jones, Bonds - were playing a lot better toward the end of the year. Not sure what changed - maybe they just got used to what he was asking of them. But those guys came on toward the end of the year.

Hope Desmond Jones enjoys a full recovery - we need #96!
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Postby Pony4Life » Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:52 am

Is it true that Don Ieremia-Stansbury is going back to DE? If it's true, I think it's a good decision. The first time he moved to DE, he added too much weight, IMHO, and lost a little quickness. If, in fact, he's going back to DE, he'll hopefully add back only about half the weight he lost to play OLB.

Or is the whole LB-to-DE idea not true?
Pony4Life
Heisman

Postby davidsmu94 » Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:09 pm

Fred Turner is a playmaker, in the couple of games I saw his speed and body control was great. I think he could be a great slot receiver or Running back.
davidsmu94
Heisman

Postby giacfsp » Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:42 am

I agree about Turner - what a terrific combination of vision and speed.

Any word on linemen switching from one side to the other?
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby MustangFan » Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:29 pm

I would think Nnabuife will stay at LB. His transition from safety to LB seemed so natural. I remember after the game Coach Bennett said he wished he'd made the switch earlier. Surely he'll stay, won't he?

In which case, who would start at safety with Harper?

Is there any merit to the McKinney-to-DE idea? Has anyone within the program ever mentioned the idea? Or is this just the brainchild of fans?
MustangFan
All-American

secondary

Postby mw2122 » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:01 am

what does the secondary look like? there needs to be some changes!!! should've made some during the year..
mw2122

Postby PonyFan » Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:02 am

I assume Alvin Nnabuife stays at linebacker, leaving Jamey Harper as the only returning starting safety. Whether Sturdivant takes over the other spot .... I don't know. Who are the other safeties we have?

What I do know is that Brandon Jones probably will have a bigger role. He's a tall CB who can really run (he was terrific against TTU, knocking away TWO shouldabeen TDs). Same with Jonathan Lindley - both should play more. And now we're adding David Haynes, who is supposed to be an unbelievable athlete - not as big as those two, but very gifted athletically.

Plus, might there be more DBs coming in this year? I met a JUCO defensive back at one game .... San Jose game maybe? Can't remember his name, but he was a tall kid (6 feet or so), and the rumor mill suggests we're looking at more JUCO secondary help.
PonyFan
Heisman

Return to Football