PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Highlight from from Copeland's press conference

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Highlight from from Copeland's press conference

Postby Dement-ed » Tue Nov 20, 2001 4:24 pm

I like the fact that Copeland said no high school coaches and that he offered the standard rhetoric about wanting to win, demanding we compete, etc.

However, the most encouraging thing he said was that he intends to increase the budget for football. Maryland increased its football budget and the Terps are headed to the Orange Bowl (probably). That doesn't mean that if Copeland throws a few more bucks into the coffers (and we know it won't be a million) that we're headed to a BCS bowl game. There are no Ralph Friedgens on the early list. But an increase in budget means more marketing, more recruiting resources, better assistant coaches, etc. This is CRUCIAL. Copeland deserves our applause for this decision.

Anyone know how much of an increase we're talking about here?
HOORAY, BEER!
Dement-ed
All-American

Re: Highlight from from Copeland's press conference

Postby SMUPonyFan » Wed Nov 21, 2001 2:09 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dement-ed:
<B>
Anyone know how much of an increase we're talking about here?</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Before we start talking about the going to the orange bowl, maybe we can just increase our budget enough to stay at hotels before games and fly instead of drive. Then next in priorities should be a training table.

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby Dement-ed » Wed Nov 21, 2001 2:11 am

Good point - I meant to put the training table on my list.
Incidentally, I hear the new head coach will get a raise of almost 50% over what Cavan made, and that the assistants will be better paid. That's a great start
HOORAY, BEER!
Dement-ed
All-American

Postby SMUPonyFan » Wed Nov 21, 2001 2:23 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dement-ed:
<B>Good point - I meant to put the training table on my list.
Incidentally, I hear the new head coach will get a raise of almost 50% over what Cavan made, and that the assistants will be better paid. That's a great start</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In my opinion we need the caliber of coach that will cost around a million a year. A 50% increase is not going to get too far in my opinion. LETS DO IT RIGHT THIS TIME SO WE DONT HAVE TO GO THROUGH THIS AGAIN!

And by the way, I have been reading all of these rumors on coaching, and I know they are just rumors, but besides Stallings and Spurior Jr., I am not impressed one bit.

------------------
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby Dement-ed » Wed Nov 21, 2001 3:05 am

My sources say we're going nowhere near a million bucks a year. But we're sure going to take a jump up from the $250K or whatever Cavan's making now. A drastic improvement, if you ask me.
HOORAY, BEER!
Dement-ed
All-American

Postby Bballer » Wed Nov 21, 2001 3:45 am

350,000 is what Cavan makes or made.

I agree with SMUPF, we are wasting our time and money if we don't offer the big bucks to a big coach.
Ponies to the NCAA Tourney in 2002!
Bballer
Junior Varsity

Postby PerunaPunch » Wed Nov 21, 2001 12:29 pm

Ditto! In for a penney, in for a pound.

God bless the alums who put $57 million into Ford Stadium. Another $5 million to increase our head coach's salary and the salaries of our assistants will payoff in the first year if we fill the stadium regularly. If we get a decent program going, all the money from TV revenue and happy alumni contributing to the Mustang Club will be gravy.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 21, 2001 3:11 pm

<B>My sources say we're going nowhere near a million bucks a year. But we're sure going to take a jump up from the $250K or whatever Cavan's making now. A drastic improvement, if you ask me.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did anyone see Sunday's Star Telegram's sports page on the salaries of the coaches in the Big12, Bob Stoops is making 2mil, Mac Brown is making 1.4 mil, R.C. Slocum is making 1.45 mil and the coach that was recently fired from KU was making 278,000.
I would think money is the key to a top notch coach. Oh, but who am I. I'm just a motherof.

Postby PK » Wed Nov 21, 2001 3:30 pm

Motherof, don't be putting yourself down. It is very important being a motherof!!! We all hope that the powers that be are up to speed on what it is going to take to get the calibar of coach we need. This selection is VERY important. We cannot afford to lose any more time with "project" coaches and as you and I both know, it's going to take some big bucks.

BTW, please don't let that one recruit you know personally go off and make any snap decisions until he has had a chance to see what happens here. We need him to stay committed. We plan to improve the program and as good as he is I wouldn't think he has anything to be worried about.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Football