PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Offensive line

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Offensive line

Postby SMUguy » Wed Aug 09, 2000 10:39 am

Saw in the paper that Coach Cavan already has decided to redshirt three offensive linemen - Kilpatrick (from Houston), Hargis (Plano) and some other dude who I've never heard of.

I think there's two ways to look at this. Either (A) These kids are really bad/small/unprepared, or (B) Cavan feels great about the returning offensive linemen, from the starters through the returning reserves.

I sure hope it's option B!
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Re: Offensive line

Postby SMUPonyFan » Wed Aug 09, 2000 1:00 pm

I think it is a combination of the two, but more of B.

Kilpatrick and Hargis are the best of the OLine. The only big O-lineman we have is Luter, I think a walkon. He is about 6-5 340-350. I saw him at practice and he is huge. He has fat on him, but he does not need to loose much weight. He is very thick. I think Luter is a little slow and needs work.

None of the freshman OLine are that good. I think Cavan is thinking to redshirt them and improve them so he won't waste a year on his future OLine, because they need the work.

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby jettison » Wed Aug 09, 2000 4:03 pm

When you have freshman that do not get redshirted their first year, that only means you are really weak and hurting with your upper classmen. Every coach would like to redshirt every lineman if possible. Hopefully injuries will be good to us this year and we won't have to dip down into a Danny Murphy and so forth, because no matter how good or bad they are, they could all use that first year to bulk up and learn the skills.
jettison
Junior Varsity

Postby kangaroo » Wed Aug 09, 2000 9:00 pm

I have never heard of Neal either - interesting that Cavan would point him out.

Also, a mention above about Murphy. How is he. Is he ready for practice?
kangaroo

Postby graypony » Wed Aug 09, 2000 10:59 pm

I think any program of any stature tries to redshirt their OL. Nebraska will have All Americans who never played until they were 4th year juniors. The difference in what is demanded from a physical aspect in terms of size and strength from high school to college are probably not greater at any other position than OL. It is not a good sign for a team who has to play, especially start, true freshmen in the OL. We just had to play Murphy, though he was an exceptional player, because of so many injuries at an area of our team that would have been thin without the injuries in the first place. Danny is out for the year and let's hope, not his career. Those of you who have had back surgery would understand.

I do think that the OL that we got probably were not the most coveted OL recruited by Div 1 schools last year, but...I contend that being a great OL has more to do with dedication and work than talent. Don't sell these guys short. See where they are in 2 or 3 years. Case in point: Sports Illustrated had a great piece last summer about a player who played against the Mustangs at Arkansas: Brandon Burlsworth. He was a 170 lb walk-on. He was too small and too slow, but his HS coach said that he had never coached anyone so determined. Brandon "married" the weight room and gained up to 300 lbs. His work ethic was unequaled. His senior leadership was one big reason Nutt's first year at Arkansas was 9-3. They haven't had that type of leadership since he graduated. He was drafted early in the 2nd round and the Colts were surprised by his determination, although that was one of the reasons they drafted him in the first place. He was about to win a starting job as a rookie until his untimely death. More than any other position, work and dedication can make make these unheralded kids in the OL that signed with SMU last February names that we will remember for a long time after they are gone. Talent is a must for many of the other positions, but work and dedication on the field and in the weight room can make up for a lot in the OL.
graypony
Junior Varsity

Postby MustangMatt » Wed Aug 09, 2000 11:59 pm

Bordano is a perfect case of being VERY underrated coming into SMU and busting his butt in the weight room and on the practice field. Hopefully some of these freshman will follow in Bordano's and Brandon Burlsworth's footsteps.

That is a great story Graypony.

------------------
Please click on an ad when you get a chance. It is those advertisers that enable us to keep this site free!!!
GO PONIES!

[This message has been edited by MustangMatt (edited 08-09-2000).]
Please click on an ad when you get a chance. It is those advertisers that enable us to keep this site free!!!<BR>GO PONIES!
MustangMatt
Junior Varsity

Postby jettison » Thu Aug 10, 2000 3:36 pm

Yes, good points by both of you. That's what I was saying about OL... we need the good fortunes of health this year so that we can get the freshman, and even our redshirts and younger guys more time to develop! I was real happy with Danny last year, and his parents are certainly nice!
jettison
Junior Varsity

Postby DallasDiehard » Thu Aug 10, 2000 6:45 pm

We now have more of a need than ever to recruit offensive linemen, especially guys who already have size, since the rumor is that Danny Murphy and C.B. Williams will never play again. Hope that's not true, because they both were real promising prospects .... but that's the word on the street.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby WildHorse » Thu Aug 10, 2000 6:47 pm

That's really bad news. Danny and C.B. are two of the finest young men you'll ever meet, and I hope that's not true. They were going to both be great.
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Postby SMUPonyFan » Thu Aug 10, 2000 7:12 pm

I heard the CB is finished. That is too bad. I have heard a rumor that Danny is finshed, but is that true? I sure hope not. We are loosing tow big guys on the O-Line.

------------------
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby MustangMatt » Tue Aug 15, 2000 9:59 pm

Brian Bischoff is a similar story(in the making). He walked on and was at Safety, now he has claimed the starting position at LB and has EARNED a full ride.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by graypony:
<B>He was too small and too slow, but his HS coach said that he had never coached anyone so determined. Brandon "married" the weight room and gained up to 300 lbs. His work ethic was unequaled. His senior leadership was one big reason Nutt's first year at Arkansas was 9-3. They haven't had that type of leadership since he graduated.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
Please click on an ad when you get a chance. It is those advertisers that enable us to keep this site free!!!
GO PONIES!
Please click on an ad when you get a chance. It is those advertisers that enable us to keep this site free!!!<BR>GO PONIES!
MustangMatt
Junior Varsity

Return to Football