PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The Green Elephant to Close its Doors for Good Sat. Night

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

The Green Elephant to Close its Doors for Good Sat. Night

Postby ThadFilms » Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:19 pm

I know this post is not football related, and perhaps more appropriate for that old (now defunct) board, but it's relevant for anyone who attended SMU in the last 14 years.

------------

Never was my place (more of an Expo Lounge/Barley House kind of guy myself), but the Green Elephant is closing up shop Saturday night. The landlord sold the building, and Big Al (is that his name?) acted slowly to sign a new lease.

Well, I'll go by to hoist a couple, because I did have a few memorable nights at the little Green E. Unfortunately, I can't remember any of them.

On, another disturbing watering hole note, is that the Barley House is moving. Which, of course, is not cool. Higher rents forced them out of their hide away on Henderson.

And, yes... you guessed it, The Barley House will be taking over the Green Elephant's building. Not sure I'm too happy about that, I like the Barley House where it is... I have nothing against college bars (long live Milo's), but I don't want to lose the Barley House to the frats.

Anyway, time for one more drink... it's last call at the Green Elephant.

-PonyExpress83... Class of 2001
ThadFilms
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Diamond Girl » Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:07 pm

Actually, the Green Elephant on Yale is closing its doors, but they are moving one street north to Dyer.
Everything we want is on the other side of difficult.
Diamond Girl
Heisman

Postby jtstang » Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:17 pm

I'll miss the old chartruese pachyderm, but then again I miss Blossoms, Grubbs, and Grumbles too.
jtstang

Postby davidsmu94 » Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:07 pm

Yeah, just won't be the same.
davidsmu94
Heisman

Postby Pony Up » Sat Dec 11, 2004 1:39 am

Please tell me this isn't true.
A dark day, indeed.
Pony Up
All-American

Postby MrMustang1965 » Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:18 pm

Too bad none of ya'll were around to experience The Old Church, Cardinal Puff's, Bowley & Wilson's or Jenny Bear's. Now THOSE were the days! :shock:
MrMustang1965

Postby Diamond Girl » Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:50 pm

I was there! Pledge night at Old Church; many happy hours at Puff's; viva voce at Milo's.
Diamond Girl
Heisman

Postby Corso » Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:34 pm

Milo's doesn't hold a candle next to the great Green Elephant.
I'm going to miss that place.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby ThadFilms » Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:42 am

It took me 'til monday to get over my final case of Smeadley's Revenge. It was a great night... and oddly enough, the extra years (and the extra couple pounds) seemed to do wonders for the, uh, "social life". Never do I remember being the "catch", rather than being the "fisher". I guess a little success can turn a crazy art student into a suitable progenitor for future generations.

One forgets the sheer volume of attractive women - and their level of comparative attractiveness - that attend Southern Methodist. It's staggering. You remember it, but when confronted with it again, it's difficult to comprehend. SMU is just not comparable to most every other place I've been in the world. Like I've said many times before... When I die, I want to go to SMU.

As for Diamond Girl's assertion that the Green Elephant is moving to Dyer, the truth of the matter is that the Elephant folks are re-opening The Home Bar- for happy hour and on through the night. (At least that's the story I was told.)

-PE83
ThadFilms

Postby Pony_Fan » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:46 am

I was told the Barley House folks are going to open where the Green Elephant is now. They had a single investor buy the bldg so they could take it over.
Pony_Fan

Postby Diamond Girl » Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:41 pm

I was told the Green Elephant on Yale was becoming a warehouse. The waitress we talked to the Thurs. before closing told us they were moving to Dyer, but she didn't mention what the name was going to be. So you may be correct about that.
Diamond Girl
Heisman

Postby Eddie P » Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:06 pm

For some reason a rumor went around SMU that the building was going to be used for a "medical supply company." Well, I don't know where that got started and why people took it as fact. But it is true that an investor of the Barley House (and of other fine establishments as well) purchased the building.
Eddie P
Heisman

Postby Eddie P » Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:10 pm

As for the Elephant, I was under the impression by one of their owners that they were out doing site selection for another Elephant. However, I think it's going to be super risky re-opening as the location of the place was as critical to its success as anything else. SMU kids are fairly predictable creatures and running to a bar at 1:00AM is easier to do on Yale than on lower greenville or uptown.

Home bar is best used as a frat/sorority special function place. It makes a very poor "open daily" bar.
Last edited by Eddie P on Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eddie P
Heisman

Postby OldPony » Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:33 pm

Young whippersnappers. Everyone knows the real losses were the closing of El Toro Room and The Blackout.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby MrMustang1965 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:12 pm

from D Magazine:

Dead Green Thing

WORST After 15 years, the Green Elephant was kicked out of its Yale Boulevard location. At press time, its owners were unsure where—or even if—it would relocate. And SMU students were inconsolable.
MrMustang1965

Next

Return to Football