PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Kelan Luker in the DMN....IS THIS CORRECT

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Kelan Luker in the DMN....IS THIS CORRECT

Postby ALL4SMU » Mon Apr 10, 2000 1:45 am

I saw the link to the dallas morning news article on your homepage (by the way, that is a great feature), and it said that he was 20-28 for 310 yards...is that correct...oh my god. i would think with those type of numbers he could rival josh for the starting position...anyone more informed please respond
\"Show me a happy and gracious loser, and I'll show you a failure.\"- Knute Rockne
ALL4SMU
Varsity

Re: Kelan Luker in the DMN....IS THIS CORRECT

Postby PonyExpress » Mon Apr 10, 2000 1:49 pm

True - he put up nice numbers. But he did it against second-string and third-string defense. Josh is the man.
PonyExpress
Junior Varsity

Postby FWMustang » Mon Apr 10, 2000 1:58 pm

People don't want to hear that for some reason. I have been saying that since Luker got here.

People seem to be impressed with the way Josh looks rather than his results. If you have ever seenhim in person, he struggles to get the ball to receivers on long outs and deep balls.

I don't know what he does that makes people think he's the one. Everyone credits him for the four wins in five games last year, yet he's also responsible for the 0-5 start.
Go RED! Go BLUE! Go MUSTANGS! S-M-U!!
FWMustang
Varsity

Postby FWMustang » Mon Apr 10, 2000 2:03 pm

That's popcorn. To go 12-25 against a young secondary in a scrimmage is unacceptable. that is not improvement.

what you're saying is that our second string is better at getting open and getting the pass completed than the first string. With our receivers, he should be completing 60-70% of his passes.

Otherwise, go find an Aggie and see hoe their Widereceiver talent was wated on Josh's older brother the last 2 years. With McCown at QB, we are headed nowhere.
FWMustang
Varsity

Postby ALL4SMU » Mon Apr 10, 2000 2:49 pm

I agree with a lot of what you said FWMUSTANG. I don't know if I would go so far as to say that we are headed no where with Josh. I do think that Kelan should be given the chance to beat out Josh. Competition will make better football players out of both of them. All I care about is that the best man for the job is starting come 9.2.2000....We have exceptional talent at WR, we just need a quarterback who can get the ball to them. I would like to see some serious competition next fall for the quarterback position.
\"Show me a happy and gracious loser, and I'll show you a failure.\"- Knute Rockne
ALL4SMU
Varsity

Postby Ponygrad » Mon Apr 10, 2000 5:06 pm

I can understand why Luker could hit a high % vs. the second team. We are deep at receiver and thin at DB. But why are Josh's % completion numbers so low. The DBs can't be that good, can they? Was he missing, drops, DB break-ups? Who saw the action? Image

------------------
GO PONIES!!!
GO PONIES!!!
Ponygrad

Postby Joyous » Mon Apr 10, 2000 5:40 pm

Ponygrad we both need to get out of this Redshirt status. Mr. C was on the roof on Saturday so maybe he will respond to your question. I sorry but I did not hear good things about Josh on the ground on Saturday.
Joyous
Varsity

Postby jettison » Mon Apr 10, 2000 6:05 pm

I think both qbs looked off and on Saturday and throughout the spring. Overall, the speed and talent of the receivers and tight ends outweighed the dbs, so both josh and kelan should have put up some gawdy numbers. Kelan's percentage was higher in part because of the weaker defense... I would also venture to say Pipkins had a better average rushing gain each play than Briggs, but does that make him a better running back? I think each quarterback has their downfalls, and numbers don't tell you how many times luker was sacked because he couldn't see over the line. Nor do they tell you the details of what the coaches might have been working on for each qb. Scrimmages aren't Sega football... the coaches aren't trying to light up the scoreboard with huge statistics... they are working on the small things and weaknesses that each quarterback have. With that said, I think there could be an intriguing battle, but the job is still McCown's to lose. But I'm a big Luker fan, moreso now than when I watched his high school beat my alma mater 58-0 a couple years ago.
jettison
Junior Varsity

Postby ponyjim » Mon Apr 10, 2000 9:35 pm

i still think Kyle Blanton should be getting more time in. i know he's second string and all but he is an incredible athlete!
he is very agile, quick and has a rifle on his shoulder.
not to say that Luker and McCown aren't worthy, but Kyle Blanton needs some more pt and some more respect!

------------------
Go Ponies!
Go Ponies!
ponyjim
Scout Team

Postby MustangMan » Tue Apr 11, 2000 4:50 pm

At least one McCown incompletion came when he fired a pass in the end zone to Chris Cunningham, only to have it broken up on a tremendous play by Jonas Rutledge. McCown was quoted as saying Garrett and Rutledge will make an outstanding pair of cornerbacks.
MustangMan
Junior Varsity

Postby FWMustang » Thu Apr 13, 2000 11:58 am

Then why did Josh not have gaudy numbers and Kelan did, for the last two scrimmages?

I have not seen Josh complete a deep ball in a scrimmage. Everytime he overthrows a WR on the deep ball, people OOH & AAH over how far he threw it and how good he looked throwing it. That happened in games, too.

All I am saying is that Kelan Luker seems to be the best passer. Isn't that what your QB is supposed to be? Aybody can hand off the ball.

And somebody's comment about Luker's height...what about Flutie, Wurrfel?, Lance McElhenny?

Height doesn't mean jack if you OL is creating the passing lanes.
FWMustang
Varsity

Postby Joyous » Thu Apr 13, 2000 12:19 pm

AMEN! FWMustang.
Joyous
Varsity

Postby jettison » Thu Apr 13, 2000 6:26 pm

Flutie is dangerous because he scrambles and makes plays, not because he is the best passer. Weurrfel is one of many quarterbacks who found success in Florida's awesome offensive system. And I'm not sure who McElhenny is... my point is I'm a little weary about relying on scrimmage stats to totally stake a claim for starting qb. It comes down to who makes the fewest critical mistakes, and I have enough confidence in the coaches to decide who the best person for the job... they are obviously open to making changes in the depth chart, giving the chances to who most deserves it and has grasped their philosophies.
jettison
Junior Varsity

Postby MustangMatt » Thu Apr 13, 2000 11:19 pm

You are right about anyone can handoff, but not everyone can scramble. I believe Josh is our best QB overall, because if a pass is not there, he can make something out of nothing better than our other options. This is something that we need with a young offensive line that is lacking depth.

------------------
Please click on an ad when you get a chance. It is those advertisers that enable us to keep this site free!!!
GO PONIES!
Please click on an ad when you get a chance. It is those advertisers that enable us to keep this site free!!!<BR>GO PONIES!
MustangMatt
Junior Varsity

Postby FWMustang » Fri Apr 14, 2000 10:39 am

Lance McElhenny was one of the QB's in the Pony Express years, Dickerson-James.

I am not relying on scrimmage stats solely, but if you can't do something in practice, I am willing to bet that you're not going to get it done in a game. McCown has proved this time and time again on deep balls, in practice & in games. His decision making has very slightly improved, but he still shows a tendency to throw into double & triple coverage. Last year he just happened to get away with it.

I also remember a QB that used to tuck it and run when the pass wasn't there, because it often wasn't. And people fried Ramon Flanigan for it. If McCown gets used to not completing passes, do you really want to see him running on 15% of the plays?

Maybe you have seen something that I have not, but I've been to every game he's played in at home and Cavan has shown no confidenc in putting a game in his hands late. What he's done to change that in 5 months, I don't know.
FWMustang
Varsity

Return to Football