PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

JUCO's!!!!!

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

JUCO's!!!!!

Postby rich_alum » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:37 pm

Help is on the way......2 and 3 star rivals recruits. These guys should be able to fill in immediately.
rich_alum
Junior Varsity

Postby BennettBacker » Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:07 am

Absolutely.
I'll look for them when I make my trips up to see Coach Bennett in the spring and the fall.
Congratulations, Coach!
BennettBacker
Scout Team

Re: JUCO's!!!!!

Postby HFvictory » Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:43 am

rich_alum wrote:Help is on the way......2 and 3 star rivals recruits. These guys should be able to fill in immediately.

With the guys in spring drills this should be a huge plus. Bennett definitely needs some experienced help on the D. One or two more JUCOs at the most would be nice, especially on DL.
HFvictory
All-American

Postby MrMustang1965 » Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:03 pm

Angelo State University introduced Dale Carr as their new head football coach today.

Carr, who compiled a 66-30 record in nine seasons at Tyler Junior College, played his high school football in West Texas at Odessa Permian.

TJC offensive coordinator Scott Clough (pronounced Cluff) will be one of the frontrunners to replace Carr as the head coach for the Apaches.

TJC athletic director Tim Drain said the college would post the job opening on their website later today (Monday).
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

JUCO's

Postby mustangswillwin » Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:07 pm

DeLay is ready to start in the fall, D. Jones, will hopefully be ready to, but if not, we do have Bonds...I feel pretty confident with DeLay and Bonds starting...no questions asked.
mustangswillwin

Postby Stallion » Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:23 pm

Both need a tremendous amount of improvement for us to be even average at that position. Not saying it can't happen--just bringing a little reality back to this little love jam.
Stallion

Re:

Postby DallasDiehard » Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:11 pm

MrMustang1965 wrote:Angelo State University introduced Dale Carr as their new head football coach today.

Carr, who compiled a 66-30 record in nine seasons at Tyler Junior College, played his high school football in West Texas at Odessa Permian.

TJC offensive coordinator Scott Clough (pronounced Cluff) will be one of the frontrunners to replace Carr as the head coach for the Apaches.

TJC athletic director Tim Drain said the college would post the job opening on their website later today (Monday).

I'm curious - how does this tie in with SMU?
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Re:

Postby DallasDiehard » Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:13 pm

Stallion wrote:Both need a tremendous amount of improvement for us to be even average at that position. Not saying it can't happen--just bringing a little reality back to this little love jam.

Reality? Or pessimism? I'd say that when healthy, Desmond Jones already is an average (roughly) DT, and DeLay is a workhorse who busts his tail to overcome his injuries and his relative lack of bulk. They're not great yet, but any means, but let's not sit here and suggest they're useless, either. They're getting better, and will continue to do so.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

I'm with DallasDieHard

Postby mustangswillwin » Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:17 pm

We have seen D. Jone's potential...it's great. In the case of DeLay, when healthy, as in the first 3 games, he lead D-line in tackles...interesting stat! I'm really excited to see the potential of these two on the line next to eachother.
mustangswillwin

Re:

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:20 pm

DallasDiehard wrote:
MrMustang1965 wrote:Angelo State University introduced Dale Carr as their new head football coach today.

I'm curious - how does this tie in with SMU?
Thought it noteworthy that a JUCO coach from East Texas (where Coach Phil has strong ties) will now be in central/west Texas. Perhaps a 'pipeline' will be established between Dallas & San Angelo, too. And it will be interesting to see who TJC names HC and if it's someone that Coach Phil can establish a relationship with, too.
MrMustang1965

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:24 pm

Let's not forget about Kendall Mouton when we talk about the D-Tackle rotation. I've not seen him play, but I've got a feeling the big fella will be heard from and like the idea of he and Jones lining up next to each other on the inside of that D-line. If Berry and DeLay come back with wheels, I'd love to see some 260 lb D-ends on the field at times. The good news is that we are finally seeing some depth on both lines and that bodes well for the future, right BUS?
Charleston Pony

Postby mustangswillwin » Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:22 pm

okay...now lets get technical. DeLay is a tackle. Mouton, Bonds, Denman, Jones are nose. DeLay is starting as of now, with scout teamers behind him...I see him starting, no questions asked. At nose, the last time Mouton played (during practice, only) he got moved to O-line. Furthemore, Mout0n didn't play his senior year of h.s. b/c of injury, red-shirted at JUCO and then a medical red-shirt...I don't want a starter who hasn't played in 3 seasons. We'll see...I'm keeping my bets with DeLay (Pryor at 2nd string, currently) and Bonds and Des at the other side.
mustangswillwin

Postby Stallion » Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:56 pm

what was the score of those games that Delay led the D-Line in tackles? They got a long way to go to be average.
Stallion

Postby mustangswillwin » Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:55 pm

so it's the d-lines fault we are not winning? I'm not concerned, you need to re-evaluate your thinking.
mustangswillwin

Postby 2112 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:07 am

well well well, i smell a friend or relative of the d-line!
Heisman

Next

Return to Football