PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

OHIO STATE AD SHOULD RESIGN

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

OHIO STATE AD SHOULD RESIGN

Postby Col. Nathan R. Jessep » Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:14 pm

Under AD Andy Geiger's watch, Ohio State has:

[1] BB Coach O'Brien is fired after admitting giving a recruit thousands of dollars;
[2] Allegations against OSU for expense reimbursement by employee who said she incurred for housing, feeding and giving spending money to OSU BB player from Yugoslavia.
[3] Maurice Clarett's claims of illegal payments to him & other OSU FB Players;
[4] Booster's under-the-table money to QB Troy Smith;
[5] Off-field arrests of OSU players.

Talk about a program out of control?!?!
YOU WANT THE TRUTH? YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!
Col. Nathan R. Jessep
Varsity

Postby Water Pony » Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:44 pm

Well reasoned and based on the hard facts.

Nathan would agree with you

"Ready, FIRE, aim!"
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:49 am

You know, if this was SMU that this would be happening to (talking about the football situation) we would've already been on the Death Penalty once again or something to that degree. But since its Ohio State, they're not going to a dang thing :evil:
Mustangs35SMU

Postby Bergermeister » Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:02 am

"What are you going to do sir? Delta's already on probation."

"They are... Well then, as of this minute they are on double secret probation."
Bergermeister

Postby Stallion » Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:32 am

doesn't it appear this may be similar to what happened at SMU. The payroll was so big-at least according to Clarrett who said the "entire starting lineup"-that they can't come down [deleted] the cheaters immediately and close down the payroll without offending them and having the full story come out. One change in the rules I'd like to see is that a player receiving illegal payments while a school is still on probation should be permanently barred by the NCAA. Its one think to take money under the table from a rogue alumni-which I bet is not unusual. Its another thing to keep receiving payments after your school is placed on probation and the academic reputation and integrity of the institution is on the line. No more-"a payroll to meet". Of course, it usually continues because the rogue booster is neck deep in the deception of his illegal payments-so he buys even more silence.
Stallion

Postby Swamp Gas » Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:54 am

Well said, Stallion. My understanding on our situation 20 years ago was not so much a specific violation (or even a collection of violations), but the frequency with which they were repeated, and the evident thumbing of our noses at the NCAA. If the Ohio State shenanigans were happening on the Hilltop, the NCAA would have blown up Ford Stadium by now.
Swamp Gas
Junior Varsity

Postby Stallion » Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:21 am

it had more to do with thumbing of their noses. The top brass at SMU when caught basically refused to cooperate with the NCAA or the Methodist Church investigating the scandal. Key members of the Board of Trustees refused to be deposed, names of the persons involved were not revealed to the NCAA. Hitch, Bobby Collins and Ron Meyer refused to be deposed under oath. Shields was told by the Board in no uncertain terms not to interfere. SMU to this day has never come clean with the full extent of the cheating-why?-because YOU got sold down the river so that Bill Clements could be govenor again. That's the REAL story-and that's why SMU didn't come clean.
Stallion

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:03 pm

Add to the thumning at the nose: alums were threathing to sue the ncaa that they did not have authority...which they didn't (perhaps) but could have kept other NCAA schools from playing us...
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:36 pm

Certainly, there was a lot of hubris there which led to the huge backlash during the Pye years to avoid problems in the future. Our main punishment was for lack of institutional control which was a misnomer. We had rule benders in control of the institution. I agree it was that lack of cooperation that got us hammered more than anything else. UT, A&M, TCU all cheated as bad or worse during those days and got caught. They just acted like they were cooperating. Sort of like how you need to treat a parent when they catch you staying out late. "You're absolutely right, Dad, I shouldn't have done that. I'm sorry, I'll try to do better." You do that, you get little or no punishment. But if you say, "I'm smart enough to make my own decisions. Why do I get treated like a child?" That answer gets your butt whipped.
EastStang

Re:

Postby jtstang » Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:03 pm

GoRedGoBlue wrote:Add to the thumning at the nose: alums were threathing to sue the ncaa that they did not have authority...which they didn't (perhaps) but could have kept other NCAA schools from playing us...

NCAA did not have authority to do what? Put us on the death penalty? I beg to differ--as a member institution we are subject to their rules, the same rules which give them authority to hand down the death penalty. We got what we deserved, face it.

As for alums suing the NCAA, there would seem to be a lack of standing, and I'm not sure but I think there WAS a suit filed by an alum which was thrown out because of lack of standing.
jtstang

Postby PK » Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:29 pm

Damn lawyers...you take all the fun out of life by bringing up technicalities like "standing"...humbug! :roll:
PK

Postby Dooby » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:45 pm

At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Football