PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Tulane Close To Announcing New Stadium

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Tulane Close To Announcing New Stadium

Postby Stallion » Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:05 pm

according to the Tulane Insider apparently final plans are being developed to build a new home stadium for Tulane with the announcement to made within the next year. I hope its nice since I plan to visit every other year.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby MrMustang1965 » Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:41 pm

Can someone post a photo of what the current stadium looks like? Just curious.
MrMustang1965

Postby LA_Mustang » Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:58 pm

Like we needed another reason to make the New Orleans trip. :)

MM65, I think they currently play home games at the Superdome.
LA_Mustang

Re:

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:47 pm

LA_Mustang wrote: they currently play home games at the Superdome.

This is true :wink:
Mustangs35SMU

Postby Hoofbeat83 » Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:01 pm

i think they did play one game on a stadium on campus this year. it's pretty much a dump. good for them if they get a new stadium...i'd like to see that for tulane.
Hoofbeat83
All-American

Postby BigEasyPony » Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:35 pm

Tulane has no on campus stadium. Haven't had one since the late 70's. They have been trying to acquire land near campus for years perhaps some well heeled alumni have succeeded. They have wanted an on campus stadium since the AD saw Ford Stadium. Expect it to be very similar.
BigEasyPony
Junior Varsity

Postby Mike Damone » Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:02 am

The only positive to playing in the dome is - much like when we played at the cotton bowl - they sell booze.
The attitude dictates that you don't care whether she comes, stays, lays, or prays. I mean whatever happens, your toes are still tappin'. Now when you got that, then you have the attitude.

-Me
Mike Damone
All-American

Postby Cheesesteak » Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:04 am

Tulane's home stadium is the Superdome. In recent years they have played an occasional home game at Tad Gormley Stadium which is an good location for tailgating but otherwise is a dump.

Tad Gormley Stadium:

http://www.neworleanscitypark.com/tadstadium.php

http://clarionherald.org/20000817/art501.htm

Tulane might offer to demolish TG Stadium and build a new stadium on that land in exchange for allowing the City of N.O. host HS football games and other events there.

Tulane's campus is land-locked but there is some land nearby the campus - not contiguous - where they might build a new stadium if the TG site isn't pursued.

A 35K stadium would be perfect for Tulane Football.
Cheesesteak
All-American

Postby MrMustang1965 » Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:31 am

Sounds like Tulane needs to find an alum/benefactor along the lines of Gerald Ford.

Mr. Gormley sounds like he was a fine citizen for the Crescent City. Perhaps the stadium, if built on the site of the current TG Stadium, could incorporate his name into it somehow.

Hope Tulane gets its stadium.

Thanks for the pics, Cheesesteak!
MrMustang1965

Postby Bergermeister » Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:49 pm

What was the capacity of the old Tulane stadium? As I recall, it was pretty big, as they used to draw big crowds. What year did it meet the wrecking ball?
Bergermeister

Postby Cheesesteak » Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:06 pm

Lacking room to grow, almost every bit of land is important on Tulane University's main campus. I think that dormitories and athletics facilities now stand on the former Tulane Stadium site.

Tulane Stadium: http://www.stadiumsofnfl.com/past/TulaneStadium.htm

(Click on the two pictures at the bottom right for more views of TS)

It is amazing how in the past Rice, Tulane and SMU among others were able to attract huge crowds to college football games.

Go Mustangs.
Cheesesteak
All-American

Re:

Postby PK » Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:27 pm

Cheesesteak wrote:It is amazing how in the past Rice, Tulane and SMU among others were able to attract huge crowds to college football games.
Not really all that amazing. In those huge crowd days there were no pro football teams in Dallas, Houston and New Orleans and the State schools, although larger than the private schools, were much closer in enrollment size than now. Prior to the Cowboys and Texans coming to Dallas, SMU was Dallas' team much as UT is Austin's team today.
PK

Postby Cheesesteak » Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:19 pm

PK - My intended use of amazing was "look at what we (SMU & others) acomplished...we were capable of a lot".

I was/am aware of the points that you made. In fact, today there are state universities with successful (current/recent bowl teams) football teams (Connecticut - 40k stadium; Iowa State - 43k stadium; Louisville 42k stadium; Colorado State - 34k stadium; New Mexico - 31k stadium; Oregon State - 35k stadium; Washington State - 37 k stadium; Boise State - 30k stadium, etc.) that often can't fill their smaller stadiums.

SMU, Rice, Tulane, Pennsylvania, Fordham, etc. exceled in attracting huge numbers of fans in an era where there were less students, alumni, Dallasites, Houstonians, Texans, Americans, etc.
Cheesesteak
All-American

Postby RGV Pony » Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:14 pm

Actually, UNM has expanded their stadium. For years, coaches complained that they needed to upgrade facilities and expand the stadium to attract recruits & foster more success. The argument was they didn't draw enough to fill what they had. Shortly after Franchione left, though, they did expand the place...and more people came. I think they averaged 37k last year.
RGV Pony

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:48 pm

Demolished: 1980
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Next

Return to Football