PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Tulane Close To Announcing New Stadium

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:56 am

Central Florida, who is also joining CUSA, is also thinking about a new stadium...

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/loc ... -headlines

UCF is planning football stadium
By Alan Schmadtke
Sentinel Staff Writer

January 4, 2005
The University of Central Florida is working on a deal to build an on-campus football stadium, a move that could affect the city of Orlando's plans to renovate the Florida Citrus Bowl.

The $40 million to $45 million UCF facility, while "not a done deal," could be in place by the start of the 2006 season "if everything were to break just right," University President John Hitt said Monday.

Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer said he learned of the proposal for a UCF on-campus stadium before Christmas. He said a renovated Citrus Bowl might be a better fit for UCF because it could provide a "world-class" stadium for the school.

Because the UCF plans are in the fledgling stages, Dyer did not know whether they would affect plans to renovate the Citrus Bowl.

"I hope they'll end up in the Citrus Bowl," he said. "I think it's a better venue for them."

Three years after a study showed that an on-campus stadium was financially beyond UCF's grasp, the school is exploring a 45,000- to 50,000-seat stadium at less than half the original estimated cost. The project in 2002 carried a $107 million price tag.

The stadium would be funded by donors, ticket sales and concession sales. Using state money for athletics facilities is prohibited. Any decision about whether to build would have to be approved by the UCF Athletics Association board of directors and by UCF trustees. The project is supported by board of trustees chairman [deleted] Nunis.

At Hitt's request, Athletic Director Steve Orsini is collecting information about how the school could move games out of the Citrus Bowl, the football team's home for 26 seasons.

Three weeks ago, UCF halted construction of a softball stadium on the east end of campus, Orsini said. That site, which currently encompasses practice fields for soccer, is earmarked for the football stadium.

Orsini said there is no official effort to raise money for a project that has not been announced. But multiple sources close to UCF athletics and the UCF Foundation said several million dollars already has been privately pledged.

"We have not solicited anything," Orsini said. "We have not taken anyone's money."

Hitt and others have long acknowledged an on-campus stadium would happen someday, and a site already was designated in the school's master plan. But the time frame had been measured in decades. That changed with news that the Knights would be homeless for at least one season during a renovation of the aging Citrus Bowl.

Orsini researched other venues -- Daytona Beach's Municipal Stadium and Disney's Wide World of Sports were two -- but the on-campus option became viable when a stadium designer showed Hitt the possibilities of prefabricated construction that uses more steel and less concrete, a process that lowers costs. UCF would not identify the designer.

"I was incredulous that it could be done for that money," Hitt said. "When I told [deleted] [Nunis] about it, he had the same reaction. He didn't believe it. But as I looked at it and saw the details, the idea really took hold. For the money, we have to look at it."

Hitt has ordered financial, environmental and traffic studies and gave Dyer and Orange County Mayor Rich Crotty a heads-up about UCF's plans before the holidays, representatives of the politicians confirmed.

"Dr. Hitt has questions, and he has asked me to gather as many answers as I can," Orsini said. "No decisions have been made. We're simply gathering information in a number of areas."

Tim Leonard, UCF's major-gifts officer for athletics, said raising money for an on-campus football stadium would eclipse any other project in terms of fund-raising ease.

"I don't know how you'd quantify it," he said. "You could say a lot of people would want to help out."...

You can read the rest at the link above
Mustangs35SMU
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re:

Postby UConn/SMU » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:13 pm

Cheesesteak wrote:In fact, today there are state universities with successful (current/recent bowl teams) football teams (Connecticut - 40k stadium; Iowa State - 43k stadium; Louisville 42k stadium; Colorado State - 34k stadium; New Mexico - 31k stadium; Oregon State - 35k stadium; Washington State - 37 k stadium; Boise State - 30k stadium, etc.) that often can't fill their smaller stadiums.

I'm not sure where you get your info, but Connecticut sells out nearly every game. They average over 38K in a 40K stadium and they expect to expand the stadium to 50K or 55K.
Always a Connecticut Yankee, but happy in Texas since January 1986.
UConn/SMU
Scout Team

Previous

Return to Football