PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Auburn Journal: DE Troy Therien Orally Commits to SMU

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Auburn Journal: DE Troy Therien Orally Commits to SMU

Postby MrMustang1965 » Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:55 am

Victories are often earned in the offseason, and for Troy Therien so are college scholarships.

The 2003 Colfax High graduate achieved his dream of playing Division I-A college football recently as he orally committed to play for the Mustangs of Southern Methodist University in Dallas, Texas on a full scholarship.

Therien, who's played the last two seasons for Sierra College, achieved his goal when coach Jeff Tisdel told him what he needed to do to become a Division I college player.

"Get stronger and be more aggressive on the field," Therien said were Tisdel's words of advice. "I took that to heart. I began strength training in the offseason and really played harder than I ever did before. I think that made the difference."

The 6-foot, 3-inch, 240-pound defensive end was so determined to play at the D-I level that he got two trainers to help him reach his goal, including the Sacramento Kings' Al Biancani.

"My offseason made it happen," Therien said.

During Therien's senior year at Colfax he played mostly at tight end and linebacker and little on the defensive end. It wasn't until he reached Sierra, where Tisdel offered him a choice between tight end and defensive line, that Therien became a fulltime lineman.

"I feel I'm better at that (defensive line) than tight end," Therien said. "I think it was the right one."

Therien came to the Wolverines as a 6-3, 215-pound player and didn't see much time his freshman year, but this season, Therien was a starter and a mainstay on the defense.

"He's a winner," Tisdel said. "He worked very hard in getting ready for this year and his hard work has paid off. I think he'll do well for SMU."

Therien was named to the all-Mid-Empire Conference team this season and during his two years helped the team go 22-0 and win a pair of conference titles and two bowl games.

The former Falcon chose the Mustangs after interest from schools like Sacramento State, University of Texas at El Paso and Arkansas State. What sold Therien on SMU was the facilities, the beauty of the campus and the direction the program is going.

"The campus was great, the guys were really nice. The overall environment was like schools I've played for in the past," Therien said. "Great coaching staff. They're a team that's going to get better."

SMU went 3-8 this past season playing in the Western Athletic Conference, but the school will be moving to Conference USA next season. The stadium holds up to 40,000 fans and the athletic facilities are some of the best according to Therien.

"The field is almost new. It's field turf. The locker room is nice, the weight room as well," Therien said. "It's one of the best facilities in the nation."

Therien will sign on the dotted line early this month and will start classes on Jan. 12 for the spring semester. While playing for the Mustangs, Therien is leaning toward majoring in business finance.

Despite SMU's past struggles on the football field, the team is very excited about what the future brings under coach Phil Bennett and what they can accomplish.

"My host was Jerad Romo, and he was non-stop the whole time, 'We're going to turn this thing around,'" Therien said. "All the guys are real positive and real confident. We're going to turn it around, we guarentee it."

With a hard-worker like Therien on their team, you've got to like the Mustangs' chances.

http://www.auburnjournal.com/articles/2 ... herien.txt
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:33 am

I bet we broke Sacramento St.'s heart with this commitment.
Stallion

Postby Hal » Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:35 am

Damn, Stallion, what's wrong? No kids to steal candy from this morning?
Hal
Varsity

Postby Stallion » Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:05 am

you're right - that's not fair-it just said that Sacramento St. had expressed interest-not necessarily that Sacramento St. offered.
Stallion

Postby Water Pony » Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:11 am

You could have simply said "ba humbug"
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby ponydawg » Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:18 am

I nominate Stallion to be on the welcoming committee for all incoming players.
ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby gostangs » Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:18 am

He is more grinch then scrooge.
gostangs

Postby Stallion » Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:23 am

OK I'll do it but I have to warn you I probably wouldn't know many of the kids SMU brings in for visits because I spend a lot of my time following recruiting.
Stallion

Postby Hoop Fan » Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:26 am

Say what you want, but we won't get very far beating out Sac State and Arkansas State for recruits. Wonder if Utep offered. Really a strange set of schools. I must say I like the kids attitude in the article and I do trust Bennetts recruiting eye.
Hoop Fan

Postby DallasDiehard » Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:34 am

Coach Bennett has shown he can identify talent.
If Jamarrio Thomas had gone to .... Fresno State, might they have a cynic who said "jeez, we only beat out North Texas for the guy"? Probably. He looked at California schools, I assume, because he's a California kid. Even if he's not being recruited by the USCs and Stanfords of the world, many kids look at schools near home first. If Mike Price was interested in him, I'm guessing he has some ability.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:42 am

Everyone in the Nation-except perhaps you- knew who Jamario Thomas was since he was a Texas Top 25 and rated by some as the No. 2 RB in Texas. Go check my posts just prior to signing date last year where I warned this board that NTSU had signed one of its greatest recruiting coups of all time.
Stallion

Re:

Postby DallasDiehard » Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:45 am

Stallion wrote:Everyone in the Nation-except perhaps you- knew who Jamario Thomas was since he was a Texas Top 25 and rated by some as the No. 2 RB in Texas. Go check my posts just prior to signing date last year where I warned this board that NTSU had signed one of its greatest recruiting coups of all time.

Actually, I did know who he was. I was using him as an example, not specifically. Just saying a lot of guys like to stay closer to home, if given the choice. And if Phil Bennett and Mike Price are interested in a guy, the ratings mean nada.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:48 am

that's right-former National No. 1 Recruits Vince Young and Adrian Peterson are just well coached.
Stallion

Re:

Postby ponydawg » Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:00 pm

Stallion wrote:OK I'll do it but I have to warn you I probably wouldn't know many of the kids SMU brings in for visits because I spend a lot of my time following recruiting.

LOL........ :lol:
Last edited by ponydawg on Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Water Pony » Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:01 pm

Vince Young 38, Michigan 37

Is your point we should have recruited and signed him?
Pony Up
Water Pony

Next

Return to Football