PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Auburn Journal: DE Troy Therien Orally Commits to SMU

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby Corso » Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:03 pm

Well of course Price and Bennett (and every other coach) would want to get Young and Peterson and others like them. Until they're competing for those types of kids, they have to be able to identify talent in other players, who aren't at the top of all the national lists like those two. And they do. Ray Charles could see the talent in those two.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby ponydawg » Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:41 pm

wait.....but Ray Charles is blind.....Ohhh.
ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby braginator » Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:53 pm

By the way Auburn where this kid sounds like he is from is only fourteen miles from Sacto, which would prob explain his drawin interest from Sac State. I drive through Auburn everytime I head up to Tahoe and it would make sense for a kid to be interested in a place so close by to where he has played his previous football...
braginator
Junior Varsity

Postby Water Pony » Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:04 pm

You mean we don't have to feel bad about ourselves, if he receives attention from a local school? That's a relief. Stallion is sure we are the only Div. 1A who would want him.

Self made players should be very important to us.

Thanks
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby that's great raplh » Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:36 pm

thanks for the article
that's great raplh

Re:

Postby giacfsp » Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:07 pm

Water Pony wrote: .... Self made players should be very important to us....

Some of our best post-DP players have been "self-made" guys. Sure, we'd love to have the next Adrian Peterson or Vince Young, but I love the guys who feel like they have to fight for everything they get.
giacfsp
Heisman

Re:

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:11 pm

giacfsp wrote:
Water Pony wrote: .... Self made players should be very important to us....

Some of our best post-DP players have been "self-made" guys. Sure, we'd love to have the next Adrian Peterson or Vince Young, but I love the guys who feel like they have to fight for everything they get.

You are ignoring one small fact. Over the past 16 years we have been the laughing-stock of DI-A. Our players may have heart; many definitely have brains, but they lack football talent. Even our best ones. Sad but true (just look at their collective NFL careers). And I will grant you that the jury is still out on our current freshmen / sophomores.

Look, everyone knows we can’t compete for the services of Young or Peterson. But what about competing for lesser kids that Baylor, OSU and Tech are all pursuing?

Consistently offering scholarships to kids that receive interest or offers from Sacramento College, Arkansas State, LA Monroe or New Mexico State will simply not make us better. ‘Diamonds in the Rough’ spin only works for 2 or 3 players per recruiting class. I don’t buy it when it is 8 or more.
SoCal_Pony

Postby that's great raplh » Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:45 pm

ark state was undefeated in 75
that's great raplh

Previous

Return to Football