PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Ohio State AD to retire

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Ohio State AD to retire

Postby Diamond Girl » Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:14 pm

This was on cnn.com this afternoon:

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- Ohio State athletic director Andy Geiger is retiring after a decade featuring some of the Buckeyes' greatest victories and biggest embarrassments.

From the time Maurice Clarett led the Buckeyes to a football national championship in 2002, the school's athletic department has been beset by NCAA investigations of its football and basketball programs.

"I find my work is no longer fun and I no longer look forward with enthusiasm to each day," Geiger said Wednesday at a news conference. "I'm just tired. Just bone-weary. Not the tired that a good night of sleep fixes. 'Burnout,' I guess, is what they call it in the industry."

Geiger, 65, got choked up at one point and took several moments to compose himself. He said the stress of running one of the largest athletic departments in the country led to his decision to leave.

University president Karen Holbrook said Geiger's retirement would be effective June 30. He will stay at the school until June 2006 as a fund-raiser and consultant.

Geiger, who held the post since 1994, has 17 months left on his contract.

After leading Ohio State to the national title as a freshman, Clarett was suspended for lying to investigators during an NCAA probe of allegations that he received improper benefits from a family friend.

Last month, the school imposed a one-year postseason tournament ban on its men's basketball team over an alleged $6,000 payment to a recruit by former coach Jim O'Brien.

Holbrook said the firing of O'Brien on June 8 was the first step in appeasing NCAA investigators. She and Geiger said more penalties may be coming.

In football, quarterback Troy Smith was suspended for the Alamo Bowl for accepting benefits from a booster.

Clarett has accused football coach Jim Tressel of setting him up with cars, said boosters provided him with no-show jobs and that Ohio State professors gave breaks to football players.

A search of court records by The Associated Press revealed at least 14 arrests involving 14 football players in the period following Tressel's hiring in January 2001 and May 2004. Others, such as Smith and running back Lydell Ross, were suspended for at least one game following other disciplinary problems.
Everything we want is on the other side of difficult.
Diamond Girl
Heisman

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:39 pm

'bout damn time!
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby BrianTinBigD » Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:37 pm

I saw the announcement on ESPN and it looked to me like a rat leaving a sinking ship. Expect more "minor" violations and problems to pop up over the next year or two.
Class of '91
BrianTinBigD
Heisman

Postby NavyCrimson » Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:08 pm

whatever happens, nothing serious will ever be in newsprint or in penalties, osu is one of the cashcows for the ncaa/bcs-bs cartel -

it ain't worth even discussing :shock: :shock: :shock:
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby LakeHighlandsPony » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:55 pm

Big State Schools do not get punished. If so the Abu Ghraib/Colorado athletic dept would have been hammered. Heck, after Dave Bliss and Baylor I think the NCAA is scared of private schools too.
LakeHighlandsPony
Hall of Famer

Re:

Postby PK » Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:05 pm

LakeHighlandsPony wrote:Big State Schools do not get punished. If so the Abu Ghraib/Colorado athletic dept would have been hammered. Heck, after Dave Bliss and Baylor I think the NCAA is scared of private schools too.
Well, at least private schools in BCS conferences.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby NavyCrimson » Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:17 pm

here - here, pk!!! :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Return to Football