PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Cowboys Fire George Warhop

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Cowboys Fire George Warhop

Postby Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex » Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:00 am

Just an FYI since George was an assistant here at one time.

IRVING – The Cowboys fired offensive line coach George Warhop on Friday, a source said.

It marked the second significant move by the Cowboys this week, which began with coach Bill Parcells declaring at Monday's team meeting that there would be significant off-season changes as he tries to make the Cowboys an elite franchise again.

On Thursday, pro and college scouting director Larry Lacewell announced his retirement after orchestrating the Cowboys' drafts since 1993. Several sources have said Jeff Ireland, who joined the club as a scout in 2001, is Lacewell's likely replacement.

Warhop, 43, who had a year remaining on his contract, joined the Cowboys from Arizona before the 2003 season. Warhop met with Parcells at the club's Valley Ranch training complex Friday afternoon, and the coach told him that he would not be returning, according to a source.

When asked early Friday evening if he had finalized his decisions on the Cowboys' coaching staff, Parcells shook his head no.

Then he turned and walked out of the club's training complex.

"I'm sorry to see him go," center Al Johnson said. "He always pushed me hard and helped me learn to concentrate more. I think he made me a better player. It was not always business with him. He was generally an all-around good guy to work for."

Former guard Matt Lehr, released during the final week of the season and signed by St. Louis, said Warhop was a good coach.

"I have a lot of respect for him," Lehr said. "He did everything he could to make me a better player."

The Cowboys could replace Warhop with tight ends coach Tony Sparano, who coached the offensive line in Jacksonville, or they could go outside the organization.

The contracts of several assistant coaches have expired, so there could more changes on the staff.

In Warhop's first season, left tackle Flozell Adams played in his first Pro Bowl, joining Larry Allen, who was playing in his eighth after a year's absence. This season, though, Adams struggled with penalties and performance and did not make the Pro Bowl. Allen was named to his ninth Pro Bowl.

Overall, the offensive line performed solidly this season.

Rookie running back Julius Jones rushed for more than 800 yards, a 4.2 average and seven touchdowns in only seven starts.

And 41-year-old Vinny Testaverde, the NFL's oldest starting quarterback, missed only one start because of injury – and he replaced Drew Henson at halftime of that game.

But right tackle Torrin Tucker, a second-year undrafted free agent, was benched after 13 games, and right guard Andre Gurode, a former second-round pick, struggled much of the season.
Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex
Hall of Famer

Postby PK » Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:08 am

And we should care because???...
Last edited by PK on Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex » Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:15 am

hmmm, don't recall asking you to care. i just put it as an fyi. sorry if you found it to be unworthy of news.
Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex
Hall of Famer

Postby PK » Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:21 am

Deleted in the interest of brotherly love.
Last edited by PK on Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyTales » Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:07 am

Relax there, Sparky. It's somewhat relevant because Warhop coached at SMU.
PonyTales
Heisman

Re:

Postby SWC2010 » Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:27 pm

PonyTales wrote:Relax there, Sparky. It's somewhat relevant because Warhop coached at SMU.

Yes, good point, PT
SWC2010
Heisman

Return to Football