PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Blackstone kicks 'em in the ba**s

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Blackstone kicks 'em in the ba**s

Postby Col. Nathan R. Jessep » Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:42 pm

"May the cheaters never win again"

I don't always agree with Kevin's commentary, but he hits a homerun with his latest jab at ncaa's poor academic performance.

The question is: can sports fans "Handle The Truth"???

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... 166a3.html
YOU WANT THE TRUTH? YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!
Col. Nathan R. Jessep
Varsity

Postby Water Pony » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:11 pm

Thanks, Nathan, for the post. I like the comment about the inverse relationship between academic progress/graduation rates and performance on the field or court.

I am a minority on this board, but, if there were rewards for doing it right, SMU has moved into the company of some wonderful institutions, only a few with strong, consistent athletic achievement, thereby putting SMU in the camp of:

Vanderbilt
Northwestern
Norte Dame
Stanford
Tulane
Rice
Duke
Service Academies

The truth is (to paraphae you) is we are not a state college, we will never be invited into the Cartel and we need to make lemonade from this lemon format. Ah, the Uncola! Supporting reform may be cynical by some but putting the emphasis on the right syl-a-bull can only help the private, non-BCS universities. When that happens we can compete and recruit against the Cartel.

Thanks for standing on That Wall, Colonel! Semper Fi
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DiamondM75 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:31 pm

Let's keep this subject on the front burner. All pony fans should send a letter to the editor noting that Kevin is totally correct and accurate in this column. The NCAA and other sports fans need to know what is really happening in college sports. That the BCS is a monopolistic cartel and that the student athletes involved in these programs are being expolited to the fullest.

Does anyone have an email address for letters to the sports editor?
Just send 'da money.
DiamondM75
Hall of Famer

Postby OldPony » Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:53 pm

A copy of the article to Brand might be more beneficial.
WP- Many (most) of us want to do it right. Even Stallion has a standard higher than the lowest common denominator. We should all push for reforms in any way we can at the NCAA level. At the same time, we should insure that SMU is competitive and remove some of the restrictions on transferring hours etc. That hours for a great university like Northwestern can't be transferred easily to SMU is overkill. Having solid sports management and physical education majors doesn't reflect poorly on SMU. Cornell's School of Hotel Management is a standard for that indusry but the other Cornell students refer to it as "Pots and Pans". Does it reflect negatively on Cornell?. Neither would top flight physical education and sports mangagement programs reflect poolrly on SMU.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby NavyCrimson » Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:44 pm

well said - pony!!! :idea: :idea:

in fact, if i remember correctly, that cornell dept is well respected around the world much like unlv's very same dept.
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby SWC2010 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:41 pm

AGREED!!!

Now, I sent an email to Kevin in support of his column. Here's how to reach him:

kblackistone@dallasnews.com

I'd like to know how to contact Myles Bland to make him aware there are sports fans out here interested in supporting his recommendations.
SWC2010
Heisman

Re:

Postby Water Pony » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:15 am

SWC2010 wrote:AGREED!!!

Now, I sent an email to Kevin in support of his column. Here's how to reach him:

kblackistone@dallasnews.com

I'd like to know how to contact Myles Bland to make him aware there are sports fans out here interested in supporting his recommendations.

Here is Myles Brand's e-mail address:

mbrand@ncaa.org
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Football